Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I'm hoping to get some help with this topic as well please

nthstar
Aspirant

I'm hoping to get some help with this topic as well please

I'm hoping to get some help with this topic as well please.

I have 1 X RBR850 and 1 X RBS850 (connected via ethernet to the RBR) and positioned ~30ft from the RBR unit. Devices are in Router mode.
Firmware on web and app say it's up to date but it's on 4.6.3.16 which I know isn't the latest.

I will have 50 MAC laptops connected to the RBR all day with ~855Mbps TX rate and no dropouts at all. These devices would be 5-20ft away at any time.

But when we're 5ft from the RBS (I also will have ~855Mbps TX rate which makes me confident I am connected to the RBS and not the RBR), the MAC will lose wifi literally every 3-5 minutes (MAC wifi icon turns off and then shows it searching and reconnecting to the Orbit wifi). Looking at the Orbit app (which I don't think is accurate) it also shows minimal devices connected to the RBS and the majority connected to the RBR, but I do believe I am on the RBS.

The RBS is ~30ft from the RBR and I'm wondering if the system doesn't know which device to connect the MACs to hence the dropping?? I also wonder if the satellite is faulty. And I also wonder do I just remove the satellite completely and see if the router can cover the whole space itself. This last option is disappointing as I spent $1200 on the 2 device's for max coverage.

Any ideas you have would be recommended.

I'd like to do a firmware update and see if that fixes things, but I'm worried it'll make things worse especially because I'll have to do the update manually.

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I'm hoping to get some help with this topic as well please

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 25% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 12
nthstar
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

- DrayTek Vigor 2865

- roughly 350sq ft

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

- Under the web portal for "wireless settings (general) it says:

-- Region Australia
-- 2.4G Channel Auto (2)
-- 2.4G Wireless mode: Up to 1147 Mbps
-- 5G Channel 36 + 40 + 44 + 48(P)
-- 5G Wireless mode: Up to 2402 Mbps

- I can see 16 when on the Orbi Wifi App (in Wifi Analytics) and 38 other SSIDs when I search for WiFi Networks on my MAC laptop

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

- Under "2.4GH" it is a tick box saying "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence". Are you saying I should untick this to make it default to 40Mhz?

- Preamble mode for 2.4 and 5gz are both sent to "Automatic"

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 25% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

- I cannot just turn the power down for the Router. I have to turn down the Signal for 2.4 or 5Ghz. 

- I've moved both down to 50% to review how that works

The change I have made is to reduce the 2.4 and 5Ghz signals from 100% to 50%, so I'll see how that goes over the next few days and report back.

Thanks,

Andrew

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@nthstar wrote:

- DrayTek Vigor 2865

What mode is this working in? Router or Modem mode? 

https://www.draytek.com/products/vigor2865/

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

- roughly 350sq ft

350sq ft? <IF this is right, you don't need any RBS. Only the RBR will be needed. The size of home would be too small for RBS.

- Under the web portal for "wireless settings (general) it says:

-- Region Australia
-- 2.4G Channel Auto (2) <Try channels 1, 6 or 11. 
-- 2.4G Wireless mode: Up to 1147 Mbps
-- 5G Channel 36 + 40 + 44 + 48(P)
-- 5G Wireless mode: Up to 2402 Mbps

- I can see 16 when on the Orbi Wifi App (in Wifi Analytics) and 38 other SSIDs when I search for WiFi Networks on my MAC laptop

<You maybe in a wifi congested area.

- Under "2.4GH" it is a tick box saying "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence". Are you saying I should untick this to make it default to 40Mhz? <Lets leave this enabled for now. 

- Preamble mode for 2.4 and 5gz are both sent to "Automatic"

- I cannot just turn the power down for the Router. I have to turn down the Signal for 2.4 or 5Ghz. 

- I've moved both down to 50% to review how that works< That what was meant my turning down the transmit power. 

The change I have made is to reduce the 2.4 and 5Ghz signals from 100% to 50%, so I'll see how that goes over the next few days and report back.

Message 4 of 12
nthstar
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply and continued help!

1. I don't have login access to the DrayTek, but it assigns all IP addresses on the network and passes bandwidth through to a Switch which connects 8 x Zoom TVs to the internet.
(The Orbi is connected to a port in the Switch and not an ethernet port in the DrayTek - do you think that needs to change?)
2. The DrayTek doesn't have any wifi turned on. Only the Orbit is supporting our wifi network
3. When I first got the Orbit I put it in AP mode but we lost the Guest network, and I had constant drop outs of wifi on devices.
Because of this I put it back into Router mode as I felt it was the firmware not able to handle things. I don't believe my setup is too bad (I know it's definitely not best practice..). It just means devices connected to the DrayTek through our Switch are on 10.x.x.x IPs (all ethernet devices) and all other devices on Wifi via the Orbit are on 192.x.x.x IPs. Everything is cloud based so having 2 IPs isn't breaking anything for us. Unless you think the Orbi is getting confused by this?
I suppose now that I'm getting devices dropping again and the Orbi is in Router mode it shows it wasn't the AP mode setting that wasn't working originally.
4. Sorry, I was trying to convert square metres to ft. We're roughly 4,800 square ft (~450 square metres). I assumed 1 X Satellite was needed just to help support 100 devices we have connected
5. I'll change the 2.4 channel tomorrow, thanks for the recommendation
6. I agree we have a lot of other wifi noise. I assume we'd need a much more expensive, enterprise grade AP to get better cut through 🙁
7. Re strength. I thought I'd be able to turn down the Router strength as maybe that was overlapping the Satellite device. I'll see how we go with just that changed over the next few days.

Thanks!
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for the clarification. All makes better sense now. 

See how it runs at 50%. Ya there is some noise going on there. Definitely change the 2.4Ghz channel. 

Message 6 of 12
nthstar
Aspirant

To provide a quick update. The signal has been at the lower rate for nearly a week now, and we've had 3 times where I'd have expected the WiFi and Zoom calls to drop out (which it's done previously), but everything stayed connected!

I haven't changed the 2.4 channel yet, as Channel 1, 6 and 11 on the Orbi app says "poor" but the auto channel of 5 says "good". So as the Zooms aren't dropping I might keep things on auto for a bit longer and see how things go.

Appreciate your feedback! It would seem the Orbis were maybe too close, and weren't able to handoff a device correctly between them??

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@nthstar wrote:

To provide a quick update. The signal has been at the lower rate for nearly a week now, and we've had 3 times where I'd have expected the WiFi and Zoom calls to drop out (which it's done previously), but everything stayed connected!

I haven't changed the 2.4 channel yet, as Channel 1, 6 and 11 on the Orbi app says "poor" but the auto channel of 5 says "good". So as the Zooms aren't dropping I might keep things on auto for a bit longer and see how things go. 5 is not a primary channel to use as that's is used by the wifi system, 1, 6, or 11 is primary. I guess let it run for a bit and see on channel 5. 

Appreciate your feedback! It would seem the Orbis were maybe too close, and weren't able to handoff a device correctly between them?? Yes. Do you know the distances between the RBR and RBS? 30 feet to start with or more is preferred. However reducing the transmit power helps in some cases where you get place a RBS out at a father distance. 

Message 8 of 12
nthstar
Aspirant

Everything has been really good for the last week, however I've just spent 1.5hrs on a Zoom call and my Laptop and Mobile (sitting next to each other) dropped 3 times between the 1hr and 1hr 30min mark (e.g. the first hour was completely stable which previously we used to have lots of dropouts). 

I've pulled the "LOG" from the Router web portal... I don't think it provides much insight, but I've listed when the wifi dropped and which device it related to. Are there any insights to gain from this?

DROPPED
ANDROID: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.55)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:2E, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:16:00
LAPTOP: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.9)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:6D, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:16:00
ANDROID: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.55)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:2E, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:15:42

DROPPED
ANDROID: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.55)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:2E, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:19:15
LAPTOP: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.9)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:6D, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:18:51

DROPPED
LAPTOP: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.9)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:6D, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:25:10
ANDROID: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.55)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:2E, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:25:08

I would have thought the WiFi dropped because the IP was being changed, but as per the above, the IPs per device remained identical...

I will change the 2.4 channel tonight. In regards to the direct line of sight from the Router to the Satellite, it'd be about 20 feet. I can move the Satellite to be prob 26ft away, but I assume that's not good enough? I could lower the signal strength further as well?

Let me know if any of this makes sense and if you have any recommendations.

Cheers,
Andrew
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@nthstar wrote:

Everything has been really good for the last week, however I've just spent 1.5hrs on a Zoom call and my Laptop and Mobile (sitting next to each other) dropped 3 times between the 1hr and 1hr 30min mark (e.g. the first hour was completely stable which previously we used to have lots of dropouts). 

I've pulled the "LOG" from the Router web portal... I don't think it provides much insight, but I've listed when the wifi dropped and which device it related to. Are there any insights to gain from this?

DROPPED
ANDROID: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.55)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:2E, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:16:00
LAPTOP: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.9)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:6D, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:16:00
ANDROID: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.55)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:2E, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:15:42

DROPPED
ANDROID: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.55)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:2E, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:19:15
LAPTOP: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.9)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:6D, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:18:51

DROPPED
LAPTOP: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.9)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:6D, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:25:10
ANDROID: [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.55)] to MAC address xxxxxxxxx:2E, Tuesday, Jul 26,2022 12:25:08

I would have thought the WiFi dropped because the IP was being changed, but as per the above, the IPs per device remained identical...

I will change the 2.4 channel tonight. In regards to the direct line of sight from the Router to the Satellite, it'd be about 20 feet. I can move the Satellite to be prob 26ft away, but I assume that's not good enough? Correct I could lower the signal strength further as well? Yes, I would try 25%. 

Is SIP ALG enabled or disabled under Advanced tab/Setup/WAN Setup?

Message 10 of 12
nthstar
Aspirant

Update: we were going well for the last week or sountil I was in another meeting today and the system dropped a few devices that were connected in this same troublesome room. I've now completely removed the Satellite, and moved the Router into a more central location. I have tested speed and in every corner of our office we get good signal and good download speeds. So I will test how this goes for a few weeks. I have increased the signal strength back to 100%. 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements