Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IP Assignment Issues -- tied to SSID in some odd way? At a loss.. (RBR750)

tandrus89
Guide

IP Assignment Issues -- tied to SSID in some odd way? At a loss.. (RBR750)

Ok folks -- back again. I was previously here with the same issue (see: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/IP-assignment-issue-Devices-not-connecting/m-p/2015929#M108102) but here it is...

Last night we lost power for a brief moment. Once back up and on, >75% of my devices lost the ability to reconnect to Orbi. The only one I get a specific error on is my Galaxy phone, which states, "Couldn't get IP Address." The rest -- smart switches, plugs, smart devices -- all just blink as if they are looking to connect/are disconnected. Laptops try to connect, but don't.

My configuration is: Modem (Netgear CM300) > Orbi (RBR750 + 2X RBS750)> (1) ring base, (2) arlo base, (3) TP link unmanaged switch for hardwired ports around the house. I also have two satellites.

Here's what blows my mind -- I can connect to the guest wifi fine from my phone. No issues with an IP address. I can change the SSID to another name and connect. So logically, it's something tied to the SSID? I'm not sure how that's possible. The only solution I had previously was to change the SSID and go through all of my devices (~150) and redirect them to the new wifi name. I don't want to have to do that, and I'm really at my breaking point with Orbi given this has happened multiple times now.
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

FW same version on RBS as whats loaded on the RBR? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on RBS wait for them to connect.

Try turning OFF 1 RBS while running just one RBS. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor. 

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 4
tandrus89
Guide

What Firmware version is currently loaded? V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

FW same version on RBS as whats loaded on the RBR? Yes

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Netgear CM700

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update? I changed the name of the SSID and went through my home and reconnected all of the devices. TBH, I'm terrified to power cycle the system as I've spent 10+ hours diagnosing and reconnecting everything over the last day of so. The sequence mentioned in your post is the sequence I utilized to attempt to have devices reconnect/get an IP address and it failed. I repeated this process at least 5 times before moving on to other actions.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 4500 sqft
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? RBR to RBS1 is roughly 30 ft (RBS1 is outdoors on covered patio). RBR to RBS2 is likely closer to 60-70ft. RBS2 is on a floor above RBR, and on the opposite side of the house. 

What channels are you using? 2.4ghz is set to Auto and 5ghz is set to 48. I have never changed these.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Sitting at the front of the house, I can see at least 3 other networks. I would say there are at least 5 detectable networks depending on where I'm at in the house. 

Try disabling Armor: I will try, but this issue existed on my RBR50 previously and that did not have the Armor service. I'm not sure this will do anything.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40  channel on 5Ghz. 

Also try Setting CTS to 2347 and disable AX mode on 2.4Ghz on the RBR. 

I would also change the default IP address pool size to 192.168.1.100 to .200 on the RBR. Save the setting and reboot the RBR. 

You'll need to power cycle your devices as well if you try this. 

If this happened on the prior Orbi system, makes me wonder if there is something on your network causing this. 

Also having 150 devices online, maybe another factor...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7