Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Inconsistent internet speeds over wifi on RBR850 (ax6000) and AT&T Fiber

brandobot
Guide

Inconsistent internet speeds over wifi on RBR850 (ax6000) and AT&T Fiber

I'm having some incosistent wifi speeds on my AX6000 setup. FWIW, I had a Netgear Nighthawk R9000 X10 router and my speeds were perfectly fine.

I've verified that an ethernet adapter from my modem/router AT&T provided combo unit is getting over 900 mbps up and down through speedtest.net. 

Speedtesting through the Orbi app also returns with over 900 mbps up and down.

On my satellite, I've hardwired my desktop and I'm getting 550 mbps and 585 mbps.

However, when I test over at less than 5 ft away from either router or satellite, I'm getting around 300 mbps. At about 50 feet away, I'm getting around 100 mbps and anywhere from 20-40 mbps upload. (no closed doors or walls. I'm on the other side of the hallway). Router is placed in an open area away from any interference.

Hardware:

Modem/Router Combo Arris BGW210
RBR850 Router and RBS850 Satellite

Things I've tried:
- I've tested using IP Passthrough and having the AX6000/RBR850 in router mode.

- I've tested disabling IP Passthrough and using AP mode.

- Tested multiple wireless channels (this helped a little, it was much worse before). I live in a single family home
- Factory resetting both modem and routers

- Disabling/enabling 20/40 MHz Coexistence and WMM

- Updated to latest firmware

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Inconsistent internet speeds over wifi on RBR850 (ax6000) and AT&T Fiber

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

What wireless devices do you have that your connecting and testing wifi? 

Message 2 of 9
brandobot
Guide

Thanks for the quick reply! Firmware V3.2.15.25_1.3.15

The router and satellite are about 25 ft apart. There are two walls between them. (both rooms have open doors and are on the same floor)

I'm doing my testing on an iPhone 11 Pro, 2019 16" Macbook Pro (both on wireless and using ethernet adapters directly to satellite and router), and a custom built PC Desktop (hardwired to the satellite).
Other devices connected include 8 Nest cameras, thermostat, security alarm systems, 5 Google Home Hubs, 3 Macbooks, 2 Windows laptops, and numerous other smart home accessories.

CTS/RTS was set to default 64. I tried changing this 2347 and am seeing some increase in download. ~300 mbps download over wireless on my 16" Macbook Pro, and 200 mbps on my iPhone 11 Pro. (devices are next to eachother, about 5 feet from satellite) However, my upload speeds are around 58 and 40 mbps respectively.

On my desktop that is hardwired to the sallite, I'm getting 593 mbps down, 469 mbps up. What would cause the upload speed to be so much lower?

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I would move the RBS out farther as well...25 is too close. 30 feet is starting distance. Can be farther.

Message 4 of 9
brandobot
Guide

Got it. I tried moving it another 5 feet further, looks like my upload speeds are coming up in all but one room (the furthest room). I'm getting about 200 mbps upload everywhere in the house except for the bedroom where I'm getting 40 mbps upload.

I just ordered a 40 ft cat6 cable on Amazon. Will try moving this even further once I get the cable.

Is ~350-400 mbps download considered normal speeds for these routers? (I have 1000 mbps fiber service)

Message 5 of 9
kildare
Luminary

From some tests available on the internet it appears that sometimes iPhone 11 has problems with Wifi6 routers/AP, not reaching very high speeds as expected.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

WiFi 6 put to the test! 802.11ax iPhone 11 any good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unc36O66Ef0&feature=youtu.be&t=1062

Message 7 of 9
brandobot
Guide

I moved my router about 40 feet from my satellite.

My desktop, which is hardwired to my satellite is getting over 500mbps.

If i’m about 5 feet from my satellite, i’m getting around 250mbps.
If I move about 30 feet from my satellite, my wifi speeds drop to under 50 mbps.

Is this normal?
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

it maybe if your mobile device is sitll connected to the RBR. You have to disable the wifi radio on the device for 5 seconds then re-enable while near the RBS. Then speed test.

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

@brandobot wrote:
I moved my router about 40 feet from my satellite.

My desktop, which is hardwired to my satellite is getting over 500mbps.

If i’m about 5 feet from my satellite, i’m getting around 250mbps.
If I move about 30 feet from my satellite, my wifi speeds drop to under 50 mbps.

Is this normal?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7