Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

SeaRefractor
Apprentice

For a while this thread had not been very useful beyond the typical "use another router and set Orbi AX as AP mode only".    However, the recent notice into NTP and DST may have been the fix I needed.

After reading about the NTP and DST settings, I had also found that DST was not set and the time on the Orbi was off by an hour.  I decided to also change from the Netgear NTP server (perhaps it's oversubscribed with all the Netgear customers) and use an NTP pool set from pool.ntp.org.

Since I'm in North America, I used 

0.north-america.pool.ntp.org

Now my time has been spot on perfect since that setting.    Also it's been several days, as I wanted to see if it had any other impact and I don't see DNS issues during that time.   Hopefully others find this also helps.

See https://www.ntppool.org/en/ for more details on the NTP Pools server project if you are considering using those time servers.

Message 251 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't use TM and saw 3 DNS issues earlier this week after a power bump. I saw that my DST was disabled, suspectedtly I might have forgot to enable that as I normally keep that enabled. SInce re-enabling DST, TM not used, DNS issues have not re-appeared since. 

Message 252 of 579
rgautier
Apprentice

I have had this checked since installation:

Automatically adjust for daylight savings time

And I do have DNS errors.

Message 253 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

If you disable DST, does the errors still happen? 

What time zone are you located? 

@rgautier wrote:

I have had this checked since installation:

Automatically adjust for daylight savings time

And I do have DNS errors.

Message 254 of 579
energie
Luminary

For me "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time" is not turned on. I have not manually enabled or disabled this functionality in the past. am also not using "Traffic Meter". This feature is disabled.

I am not sure what both of these features has got to do with the problem that were are having with dnsmasq (DNS server/proxy). 

Netgear needs to fix the DNS server / firmware.

Message 255 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

As a test, enable DST under NTP and see if you still have any DNS issue. After enabling mine, I have not see these DNS issue since. 

Message 256 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

I'm happy to report that Orbi Pro has been solid for a few days with zero DNS issues using IPv4 and exceptional performance.  (Also no DST related problems) 

Same DNS servers specified.  Same modem/router used.  All settings identical. 

Many sources say the internal hardware of the Orbi Pro and the AX series discussed here are essentially the same.  But the firmware is different which has more features on the Pro and they updated code to address DNS problems the pro used to have, but haven't fixed it in the residential AX series.  

Message 257 of 579
energie
Luminary

Nice, yeah that is as expected. Netgear fixed the DNS server issue last year for the Orbi Pro. This also reconfirms that Netgear should fix the same DNS server issue for the Orbi AX. They really don't seem to care for its regular customers.

Message 258 of 579
houcatdad
Star

I was having the errors. I'm East Coast... did not have auto adjust for DST enabled.

I noticed time was off by an hour after the change.

Adjusted for DST by selecting that box.

Still getting DNS errors/refreshing.

Not using Traffic Meter

Message 259 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you do a power OFF off the RBR and ISP modem after you set DST to enabled?

If so, Please make contact with NG support and let them know what your seeing. 

@houcatdad wrote:

I was having the errors. I'm East Coast... did not have auto adjust for DST enabled.

I noticed time was off by an hour after the change.

Adjusted for DST by selecting that box.

Still getting DNS errors/refreshing.

Not using Traffic Meter

Message 260 of 579
ericd77
Aspirant

Problem solved.....sort of.  I disabled DST and Internet has been stable the last 4-5 days.  I guess my router being an hour off really doesn't matter so this works for me.  

Message 261 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

Never underestimate the issues that can arise with Network Time being out of sync between network devices.  It's a fundamental requirement for error free networking and can manifest in all kinds of problems.  Things you'd never think would be impacted can be.  It's even possible these DNS issues have some underlying relationship with network time if this has been an undiscovered issue previously.

I hope your issue is minimized, but it's not really resolved until Netgear fixes it. 

Message 262 of 579
energie
Luminary

Yeah indeed. Problem with time settings could cause some serious issues in systems. However, unfortunately for me with now DTS enabled I am still experiencing the same DNS issues.

I feel it is a bit strange that no Netgear employee ever responded in this thread. 

Message 263 of 579
ericd77
Aspirant

Yeah, I get it on large enterprise networks but nothing on my home network is syncing time with the Orbi.

Message 264 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try setting different TIME servers. Others reported using either NIST or POOL

What version of FW are you using? 

@ericd77 wrote:

Yeah, I get it on large enterprise networks but nothing on my home network is syncing time with the Orbi.

Message 265 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

After these posts, I went back in to see if I had DST checked and I did not.  I could have sworn that I had it enabled during my initial set up, but maybe a firmware update reset it for some reason.  I checked it and power cycled the router/modem set up and since then I have had no DNS errors that I can tell.  I've gone this long (5 days now I think) without error in the past with a simple power cycle, but it's rare.  I will let you know if that good luck continues.  I'm still not sure I understand how that simple issue could cause DNS issues, but won't complain if it finally corrects this issue!

Message 266 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Same thing happend on mine last week. I thought I had DST enabled, it wasn't and after we had a power bump here, I started seeing these DNS issues. After enabling DST, ZERO DNS problems. 

Someone over in the Orbi AC forum mentioned that NG told them that Traffic Meter and DST were hosing up DHCP and DNS. NG recommended to not use TM and they are working on a fix for that platform. I hope same will be put forth to the Orbi AX platform as well. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-satellite-randomly-disconnecting-specific-devices-from/m...

Message 267 of 579
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

Network time is a component of all communcations on a network, not just assigning time through DHCP or pulling it from a NTP server.  You might not notice the issues, all I'm saying is it can manifest in all kinds of ways.

The Asus AX system I tested 2 months ago had a major NTP bug that dropped my entire network 20 times per day.  

Just as power issues can manifest in virtually any error or symptom imaginable on a PC, network time errors can manifest in virtually any network error you can imagine.  

Message 268 of 579
bullm00n
Luminary

It's also worth considering causes outside the RBK850 router or possible interaction issues between it and specific modems and / or ISPs.  The reason I say this is that I'm doing "all the wrong things": using the Traffic Meter, DST enabled, using the Netgear Time Server.  And I have never seen any DNS issues with any firmware or any settings. If it were simply a problem with Orbi and not some other interaction, it seems like the problem would be more pervasive.

Message 269 of 579
zapp7
Star

I changed my time to DST and I'm still getting the DNS errors. Frustrating that this issue hasn't been fixed. I "upgraded" from Google WiFi for this, and I'm starting to regret it. Zero issues with the Google WiFi.

Message 270 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Traffic Meter enabled?

What FW version are you using?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

@zapp7 wrote:

I changed my time to DST and I'm still getting the DNS errors. Frustrating that this issue hasn't been fixed. I "upgraded" from Google WiFi for this, and I'm starting to regret it. Zero issues with the Google WiFi.

Message 271 of 579
zapp7
Star

Traffic meter is not enabled.

Most recent firmware, V3.2.17.12_1.4.14.

Actiontec TP3200M and Nokia Intertek ONT.

Message 272 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the gateway router bridged or in router mode? 

Your ISP Modem already has a build in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I'd try Option #3...

Message 273 of 579
zapp7
Star

The TP3200M is running in bridged mode. I guess I'll try plugging in Orbi directly to the modem...

Message 274 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sometimes the gateway isn't needed...

Message 275 of 579
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7