Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Nothing else we can do here in the forums about this issue. 

Except be cautious about future firmware updates

Message 276 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

Never mind, started having the same dns issues today after the DST trick.  Looks like the short term reprieve was due to the reboot and not the DST option.  Back to square one...

In regards to the thought that modem/ISP matters, I've had the same issue across Specrtum base service and gigabit (Two different routers in gateway mode) and MetroNet Fiber (modem).  

Message 277 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

And you don't use Traffic Meter any? 

Message 278 of 579
msinex
Apprentice

No, to my knowledge I've never had traffic monitor enabled and it's not enabled now.  Same with the shield option.

Message 279 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, was checking. Keep in contact with NG support about this. Hopefully they will get this fixed. Smiley Embarassed

Message 280 of 579
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, was checking. Keep in contact with NG support about this. Hopefully they will get this fixed. Smiley Embarassed

if you're out of warranty NG support wants money

Message 281 of 579
zapp7
Star

I removed the TP3200M but same issue persists. I've opened a ticket with Netgear. This 90 day support policy really stinks. They should be backing their product appropriately for much longer than that.

Message 282 of 579
fangruoyuan
Guide

I change my RBR850 from AP to router a few days ago. Now I found this problem yesterday. When I got home, I found I couldn't open any web on my pc(wired to a wired satallite). The chrome says it is a dns problem. Then I unplug and plug the satellite, nothing changed.(windows didn't say no internet, everything in the property page is ok) After I restart the RBR850, everything backs to normal. Then after about 12 hours, I found this issue when I was at work (my securty camera says it if offline) I could only remote reboot the RBR850 by orbi app( on orbi app, all devices is online)  I change the NTP server last night, and wait to see anything change(I have native ipv4 and ipv6 address)

Message 283 of 579
Tobamory
Tutor

Guys can anybody confirm, in AP mode both DNS and WIFI drops dont happen ?

I got an email today about a new firmware for Security on my 853, anybody any ideas if this does much.. Might try them again in AP mode if it fixes the DNS and WIFI drops

Thanks

Message 284 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Was there a version mentioned? 

Has not been any information regarding new FW beyong v12. 

DNS errors don't seem to occur when in AP mode. 
IF your having wifi issues. Please give more information regarding this. 

Configuration, placement and how is the system all connected? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@Tobamory wrote:

Guys can anybody confirm, in AP mode both DNS and WIFI drops dont happen ?

I got an email today about a new firmware for Security on my 853, anybody any ideas if this does much.. Might try them again in AP mode if it fixes the DNS and WIFI drops

Thanks

Message 285 of 579
JBlank912
Tutor

I have Firmware 2.6.2.104 on an RBR40 with 2 Satellites. Wifi dropping has not been an issue. The DNS problem made it unusable. It started as reboot once a week for a couple of weeks, then daily then it would not hold DNS after 30 minutes of a reboot. I am on Spectrum. They moved from a Modem/Router combo to seperate pieces. Since I had the Orbi, I got rid of the Router. I went out and purchased a Linksys Router, put it between the Orbi and the Modem, set up the Orbi in AP mode and problem solved. The DNS issue has not happened since. The speed is virtually the same. I had a few minor hiccups setting up the Linksys. I was very impressed with there support. 7/24 and with a 1 year warranty the support is in writing for 1 year although they said verbally phone support continues past the year. Atleast 1 year is confirmed in writing. Hold time to get a support person on the phone was under 10 minutes for each call. In one of the calls with Linksys they did try to say I should get a better router but once I stopped the sales pitch he found the real issue and talked me thru it in a few minutes. 

Over the years Netgear vs Linksys the pendulum of which to get has swung back and forth. I think it is swinging back to Linksys with the support I was able to get. I will stick with this set up for a while. If/when Netgear comes out with a Firmware fix I will try it but the Linksys Router will stay in my closet for backup regardless. With two of us working from home, I can not have the down situations I was getting.

Message 286 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AC and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "specific Orbi AX" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Also disable Traffic Meter on your RBR if it's enabled.

Good Luck.

@JBlank912 wrote:

I have Firmware 2.6.2.104 on an RBR40 with 2 Satellites. Wifi dropping has not been an issue. The DNS problem made it unusable. It started as reboot once a week for a couple of weeks, then daily then it would not hold DNS after 30 minutes of a reboot. I am on Spectrum. They moved from a Modem/Router combo to seperate pieces. Since I had the Orbi, I got rid of the Router. I went out and purchased a Linksys Router, put it between the Orbi and the Modem, set up the Orbi in AP mode and problem solved. The DNS issue has not happened since. The speed is virtually the same. I had a few minor hiccups setting up the Linksys. I was very impressed with there support. 7/24 and with a 1 year warranty the support is in writing for 1 year although they said verbally phone support continues past the year. Atleast 1 year is confirmed in writing. Hold time to get a support person on the phone was under 10 minutes for each call. In one of the calls with Linksys they did try to say I should get a better router but once I stopped the sales pitch he found the real issue and talked me thru it in a few minutes. 

Over the years Netgear vs Linksys the pendulum of which to get has swung back and forth. I think it is swinging back to Linksys with the support I was able to get. I will stick with this set up for a while. If/when Netgear comes out with a Firmware fix I will try it but the Linksys Router will stay in my closet for backup regardless. With two of us working from home, I can not have the down situations I was getting.

Message 287 of 579
energie
Luminary

The DNS server / firmware issue described in this thread for the Orbi AX is not related to DTS/Traffic Meter. I have tried all combinations on/off and I am still experiencing this issue. I do believe however that there is and issue with DTS / Traffic meter causing similar experience. In any case Netgear should fix this issue. It really suprises me that Netgear ignores this thread. For really quick fixes/issues Netgear replies in those threads. However, this completly gets ignored.

Message 288 of 579
vajim
Master

@energie wrote:

The DNS server / firmware issue described in this thread for the Orbi AX is not related to DTS/Traffic Meter. I have tried all combinations on/off and I am still experiencing this issue. I do believe however that there is and issue with DTS / Traffic meter causing similar experience. In any case Netgear should fix this issue. It really suprises me that Netgear ignores this thread. For really quick fixes/issues Netgear replies in those threads. However, this completly gets ignored.

Thanks for sharing 

Over in the standard Orbi forum there are several who believe the problem with the latest firmware IS due to what you mentioned. Not sure if it's because of the different Orbi versions but your post is interesting 

Message 289 of 579
energie
Luminary

I have just ordered the Asus XT8. I will give it a tryout. Really, the Orbi AX could be potentially a very good router. Wireless performance is good. However, the DNS issues are not acceptable. This thread started almost a year ago (‎2020-07-27 03:37 AM). And similar issues can be found in other threads that pre-date this. 

The only solutions are:

1. Use the Orbi AX Router in AP mode (Router mode = DNS issues) + add a tjhird party router
  2. Buy another wifi system like the Asus XT8.

Message 290 of 579
vajim
Master

@energie wrote:

I have just ordered the Asus XT8. I will give it a tryout. Really, the Orbi AX could be potentially a very good router. Wireless performance is good. However, the DNS issues are not acceptable. This thread started almost a year ago (‎2020-07-27 03:37 AM). And similar issues can be found in other threads that pre-date this. 

The only solutions are:

1. Use the Orbi AX Router in AP mode (Router mode = DNS issues) + add a tjhird party router
  2. Buy another wifi system like the Asus XT8.

I've had a ASUS router before.  Solid perfomer.  

I looked at the Asus XT8 and would interested how it performs for you.

Thanks

Message 291 of 579
lof
Guide
Guide

Shocked there's no updates on this. Just setup an RBK753 today, having this issue and to see it was reported July last year and is still not fixed is quite alarming. Considering returning them...

Message 292 of 579
PatrickQC
Initiate

This DNS issue is a real pain and plaguing an otherwise great product. I returned one set and got the XT8. A solid performer as another user said, however I returned it after a month and went back to the RBK853 system for 2 main reasons:
1. The wifi signal is about half what you get with the Orbi AX system. Stable, but weaker. I couldn’t afford this drop in speed.

2. For some weird reason, Sonos doesn’t like the ASUS XT8 router. Speakers would unexplainably drop from the network. Spoke to Sonos and their conclusion was “it’s a problem with your router”.

Like others, I tried the Netgear support route, an exercise in frustration. Mundane try this and try that for weeks. For something that’s not hard to fix, it’s quite baffling Netgear support won’t even respond.
Message 293 of 579
energie
Luminary

It indeed seems the Asus XT8 has problems of its own, however the solution for the Sonos problem that is caused by the newer firmware is to turn QOS off. Which also is a workaround thought. However, comparing this to the Orbi AX. It isn't any lose, as the Orbi AX doesn't even have QOS management. The XT8 arrived today, so I will give it a try. At this point this seems like the only proper solution to the Orbi AX DNS issues, which is don't use the Orbi AX anymore and start using some other brand wifi system. I will do some proper testing.

Message 294 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Please continue to post about any ASUS information and help over in there forums since you have change brands. 

Good Luck. 

Message 295 of 579
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please continue to post about any ASUS information and help over in there forums since you have change brands. 

Good Luck. 

What?

Message 296 of 579
tak1313
Luminary

I think he was just referring to energie's post because he's switching to Asus.

Message 297 of 579
vajim
Master

@tak1313 wrote:

I think he was just referring to energie's post because he's switching to Asus.

Thanks 

it was the 'there forums' I didn't understand 

Message 298 of 579
lof
Guide
Guide

I think it's simply unacceptable to be having these (basic) issues especially at this pricepoint. It's only logical for people to discuss alternatives as this information is useful to people like in my case where I am currently contemplating returning them if it's not fixed very soon. I'm not bashing the product because the system is exemplary in terms of its actual performance and coverage from what I've tested so far, so it is frustrating when such a simple problem dampens what is otherwise an excellent product.

Message 299 of 579
energie
Luminary

Exactly, and I do still own the Orbi AX. The Orbi AX is very minimalistic and that is ok, wifi coverage is great on it. However, the DNS issues are a real trouble. I am not sure what Netgear did with the DNS. However what I notice on the Asus XT8 is that you get way more options to control the DNS settings. You can even control the DNS settings for an individual device it seems. 

What I also notice is a difference on how DNS is handled. I have an external domain that is directed to a NAS on the intranet. With the Orbi AX the route is as follows:  Home laptop (on home netwerk) > go to externaldomain.com > Orbi AX > ISP Router > Internet > Back to ISP router > Orbi AX > NAS (on home netwerk). With the Asus XT8: Home laptop (on home netwerk) > go to externaldomain.com > Asus XT8 > NAS (on home netwerk). Which makes a lot of sense. I guess the XT8 will cache DNS. While the Orbi AX can't even do the basics right and fails every now and then.

In any case with the Asus XT8 I have not experienced the DNS errors (as expected). 

Message 300 of 579
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7