Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent disconnects, reconnects, and hung devices - guest network?

gsx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Intermittent disconnects, reconnects, and hung devices - guest network?

I have seen frequent intermittent disconnects, reconnects, and hung devices.  Since there doesn't appear to be orbi logging to help identify these events, I've had trouble tracking down what is happening and when.  I'm starting to think these issues are only occurring for devices connected to the guest network.  Aside from the observation that issues appear to be occuring on devices on the guest network, I've noticed that guest network devices get assigned ips on a different subnet.  e.g. main network get n.n.1.n and guest network get n.n.2.n.  Maybe this is intentional and not an issue, but previous orbis did not work this way.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Intermittent disconnects, reconnects, and hung devices - guest network?

The GN IP is an intentional difference for IPs. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is it only the Guest Network that seems to exhibit problems when connected? 

What devices are you connecting to the GN? 

Do these devices work on the main wifi network and not the GN? 

Message 2 of 7
gsx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Firmware is 4.6.3.7_2.0.49.

Modem is Motorola MB8611.  The same issues occurred with a previous modem.

Yes, I think only the guest network is affected.  It's hard to tell because I either need devices that complain when they lose their connection, or I have to be using a device on the guest network at the time when issues occur.  Being able to see the events would at least help me to know what I'm dealing with.  Devices that I know or suspect to have been affected include thermostats, iphones, playstation.  I moved a bunch of stuff to the main network and they don't appear to be having issues any longer.  One the one hand, I'm tempted to move everything off the guest network and just be done with it, but I paid for a product with guest network capability and I'd like that to work.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Users are seeing problems with this newer v4 FW version...

GN isn't really meant for long term IoT use either. Mainly for short term phone, laptop and pad use. 

Message 4 of 7
gsx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Furry,

Yes, factory reset has been done after the latest firmware.  I've seen the same issue with at least 3 versions of firmware.  I also changed the main router - no improvement on the guest network.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support and ask for help and information regarding this. Possible you may have a faulty unit that needs replacing. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 6 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @gsx

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7