Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is there ETA for the fix also is NG going to push the fix

bjosh
Follower

Is there ETA for the fix also is NG going to push the fix

Is there ETA for the fix also is NG going to push the fix since we are unable to login to the router through the browser or app.

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Might contact NG support and see if they can help with out a reset.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Orbi-Web-Page-and-Orbi-app-Access-St...

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't think it's the Fw that's the problem, more like how its being deployed thru auto updates. I and others have had v.2 loaded since before NG started pushing the same version via AU. Ours was loaded manually. Have not seen any problems accessing the RBRs web page. Also maybe some problems in auto updating systems from older versions of v4 to new v.4 versions as well. I believe mostly this is a AU issue that hasn't been fully addressed or tested fully by NG in how AU works. 

Message 3 of 11
claudiut
Apprentice

I can confirm that loading the firmware (v4.6.8.2) manually works (so far) without issues. I'm able to access the router and satellites through web interface and Orbi app.

To be completely honest I'm not 100% convinced it's not a FW issue as @FURRYe38 implies, but in the end, it doesn't even matter. NG should get their s^#% together and fix this mess that goes on for way too long.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Historically AU has seen many issues over time, even on Orbi AC models. Not the first time AU has broke users systems. 

NG will hopefully take heed this time. I agree, they messed up big time. Hoping they will do something. 

Keep your v.2 FW files on hand. 

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

It only a small part. AU system we believe it's it own beast that out of control. 

Never mentioned putting fault at users configurations. This event is certainly on NG. I only explained that some of us who had v.2 already loaded prior to NGs AU event weekend before last didn't' see problems. This doesn't mean this is a user configuration issue or was directed at users configurations. 

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

OF course...that's also in case where we have to troubleshoot the issue to really find out where the problem is, FW or user configuration. Its not always a FW issue and sometimes it is. Just be cause one user claims its a FW issue doesn't mean it is. The real problem has to be vetted out. I can point to many posts that were resolved as well by troubleshooting or factory resets. 

Over all, this is a NG issue and items for resolution have been presented and work. NG has acknowledged the issue and is working to get it fixed. Users will need to contact NG support if they want there help. Or factory reset and setup from scratch. This is mostly beyond forum help now. 

Message 7 of 11
Timothy88
Luminary

Can someone in the Netgear organization explain why the company feels the need for the firmware to be auto updated?

Message 8 of 11
Timothy88
Luminary

What about the random reboots that were introduced because the auto update?

Second time in six months that Netgear has pulled an update.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep, Fully agree with you here. QA and Testing has dropped the ball. This is all on NG. 

I've been tracking Orbi reboots since before the AU and even before v.2 was released. 

Message 10 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

@Timothy88 wrote:

Can someone in the Netgear organization explain why the company feels the need for the firmware to be auto updated?

This is a community forum so perhaps not the place to ask for an official statement.  But we can offer our own opinions here, and I believe the industry has moved to auto-updates because the overall tradeoff with respect to security is better.  Firmware software quality and testing is supposed to occur, but a separate issue from auto-update policy.

For example: https://www.consumerreports.org/wireless-routers/outdated-router-firmware-poses-security-risk/

* Routers can also be taken over for criminal activities such as illegal downloads and attacks on websites.
* That means that most home routers never get important security updates.

* Shah says that from 2017 onward, Netgear routers have had the automatic update function built in.

* EeroGoogle Wifi, and Luma also take care of updates without the user being involved. “When it comes to security, if you have static software running a device, chances are the device will be insecure,” Eero CEO and co-founder Nick Weaver says.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7