Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Lost satellites on 853 system - help please

roxyroo
Tutor

Lost satellites on 853 system - help please

Something happened after unplugging router to move wires and can't get either of my satellites to connect.  Have tried everything and at a total loss.  At first the router showed the two satellites but showed they were disconnected. I could not get them to connect so in the web software told the system to delete them.  They don't show up now but on the basic tab it still says number of satellites - 2.  I reset both satellites with a paper clip and used the reset button to get them to connect but with no luck.  They turn blue, but still no connection.  I have one trying wirelessly and one wired with an ethernet cable to the router - still no love.  At this point I am just going in circles and at a total loss.  When I look at the app on my phone the network map just shows Internet and my Router.  The device list shows about 9 things hooked up to internet while I have about 80 things in the house including all the IoT devices, so need to get these satellites working again asap.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@roxyroo 

Sorry to hear you are having issues.   The normal "Guru" @FURRYe38 is away for a couple of days - hoping I can help you out here.

I understand that neither of your satellites are reconnecting to the router after you did a little "rearranging", and you have one that was normally connected wirelessly, one wired - and that you did a pin-hole reset on the satellites.   You mention the lights on the satellites turn blue but are not showing up as "connected" which is quite unusual.

While you said you had an Orbi 853 - you didn't mention the type of modem/ont you have (ISP device you get your internet service through).

I would try the following steps:

1)  Turn off the modem/ont (if you can) and Turn off (un-plug) both of the satellites and the router for a few minutes (maybe 5).  

2)   Turn on the modem/ont and let it fully power up.

3)  Turn on the router and let it fully power up and connect.  (Do NOT power on any satellites yet).

4)   Verify that while you were moving the router you plugged the cables back in fully and in the correct place (the cable from the modem should go into the YELLOW port, any other cables including the one you use for the wired connection to the satellite can go into any of the other ports.

5)   Once router is fully up (you should be able to log into the router's admin page at 192.168.1.1) and see what devices (if any) are connecting to your router.  Unless you have a huge house - or one that is not very conducive to wifi signals - the devices you have should connect to the router (at least more than 9 of the 80).   You may want to verify that your network settings are what you had set them to originally.  Unplugging should not have caused any settings to be reset/changed unless you did a pin-hole reset on the router itself.

6)  If you can, I would bring both satellites back into the same room as the router, and one at a time, power up and resync wirelessly.  (Once up - press the button on the back of the satellite (I usually press for about 5 seconds), then press the button on the back of the router (for about 5 seconds) - and give it a few minutes to go through the sync process.    You can also try the "add a satellite" process from the web UI as well.    Once done with one satellite, do the same for the other satellite).

7)  Once both have resyncd, you should be able to unplug the satellites, and take them back to their original locations, turn them on - and they should "good to go".

Hopefully this resyncs both of them with the router and gets you back up and running.   If not - we can try some other things.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@roxyroo 

Sorry to hear you are having issues.   The normal "Guru" @FURRYe38 is away for a couple of days - hoping I can help you out here.

I understand that neither of your satellites are reconnecting to the router after you did a little "rearranging", and you have one that was normally connected wirelessly, one wired - and that you did a pin-hole reset on the satellites.   You mention the lights on the satellites turn blue but are not showing up as "connected" which is quite unusual.

While you said you had an Orbi 853 - you didn't mention the type of modem/ont you have (ISP device you get your internet service through).

I would try the following steps:

1)  Turn off the modem/ont (if you can) and Turn off (un-plug) both of the satellites and the router for a few minutes (maybe 5).  

2)   Turn on the modem/ont and let it fully power up.

3)  Turn on the router and let it fully power up and connect.  (Do NOT power on any satellites yet).

4)   Verify that while you were moving the router you plugged the cables back in fully and in the correct place (the cable from the modem should go into the YELLOW port, any other cables including the one you use for the wired connection to the satellite can go into any of the other ports.

5)   Once router is fully up (you should be able to log into the router's admin page at 192.168.1.1) and see what devices (if any) are connecting to your router.  Unless you have a huge house - or one that is not very conducive to wifi signals - the devices you have should connect to the router (at least more than 9 of the 80).   You may want to verify that your network settings are what you had set them to originally.  Unplugging should not have caused any settings to be reset/changed unless you did a pin-hole reset on the router itself.

6)  If you can, I would bring both satellites back into the same room as the router, and one at a time, power up and resync wirelessly.  (Once up - press the button on the back of the satellite (I usually press for about 5 seconds), then press the button on the back of the router (for about 5 seconds) - and give it a few minutes to go through the sync process.    You can also try the "add a satellite" process from the web UI as well.    Once done with one satellite, do the same for the other satellite).

7)  Once both have resyncd, you should be able to unplug the satellites, and take them back to their original locations, turn them on - and they should "good to go".

Hopefully this resyncs both of them with the router and gets you back up and running.   If not - we can try some other things.

Message 2 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

Blue means good for the satellite, so I suggest you also rule out if this is just a UI bug in both orbilogin.com and the app but the satellites are actually connected in a mesh network.  Have you verified that wired devices connected to one of your satellites don't actually have internet access?  My own RBKE963 system was doing this the other day, i.e., orbilogin.com showing my satellites were Disconnected, but they were actually connected and working fine.

Message 3 of 8
roxyroo
Tutor

Thanks for your reply.  Actually for the last 3-4 months everything had been working great.  Both sats were running wirelessly.  When we have power issues they usually come back on just fine.  Last night I unplugged power to move some stuff and they would not come back.  Very strange.  When they would not connect I brought both into my office where the Router is and did all the dances with no luck.  I then decided to hook one up to the router with an Ethernet cable, and still no luck.  I then deleted them and reset them and went through to add them as new also with no luck.  After going through this about two dozen times over two hours they finally connected.  I unplugged the one that I temporarily had connect via ethernet and powered it back and it connected wirelessly.  I then moved them to their normal location and when they powered on everything was fine.  I have no idea why it took them so long and so many tries, and I don't think I did anything differently either.  That is what I hate about this Netgear stuff more than anything ,when it works it is great, but when it does stuff like this there seems to be no rhyme or reason and no good manual to explain it.  The one thing I noticed is it is now using an IP address for the Netgear equipment starting with 10 rather than 192 as it always used to.  The only thing that is 192 is the IP for internet which it is getting from my ATT gateway which has wifi shut down.

Thanks so much for your assist.

Message 4 of 8
roxyroo
Tutor

Yes they truly were not working even via a plugged in ethernet cable.  Ultimately after about the 25th try they finally did connect as you can see in the other reply I just posted.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@roxyroo 

If your Orbis are getting 10.0.0.x  addresses - then it means that you have two devices doing router work on your network -  so both the AT&T device - and the Orbi - are trying to do routing which could be causing some issues as well.

While you turned off the Wireless on the AT&T router - you really should put the AT&T router in passthrough mode (sometimes this can be a pain on some AT&T routers) - or put the Orbi in AP mode and let the AT&T router handle the routing.

You may find this provides a more constant and stable environment.

Message 6 of 8
roxyroo
Tutor

I don't think there is a way to put the ATT gateway into passthrough mode, at least that was what I was told when I first set up the Orbi.  It is a BGW210 if that helps.  All of the devices off the ORBI system are being assigned IP addresses that start with 10 with the exception of an Amplifi HD mesh router than is in AP mode and has an address of 169.254.xx.xxx, it is in AP mode so all the addresses coming from it also start with 10.  The ATT gateway is assigning the Orbi an IP of 192.168.xx.64,  The only other IP address it has allocated is 192.168.xx.66 but I am not sure what device that is and its status is off.  I recall when I first set up the ORBI I was told not to put it in AP mode by support but we disabled some other things in the ATT gateway to leave it in its current mode.  I would welcome any other specific suggestions you might have.  Thanks

Message 7 of 8
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@roxyroo 

Regarding putting AT&T router into passthrough mode - that's why I said sometimes it's a pain.   Some can be, some can't be, and some that can be are really hard to get it done.

As long as things appear to be working well and you aren't having issues getting to the internet, seeing web pages, etc., then I'd leave it the way it is.   I'm one of those that believe in "don't fix it if is isn't broken".

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7