Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MOTO G7 smartphone cannot connect to 2.4G to set up KASA smart switch ORBI RBK 752-100NAS

klkngsal
Guide

MOTO G7 smartphone cannot connect to 2.4G to set up KASA smart switch ORBI RBK 752-100NAS

Installed a KASA TP-Link smartswitch that connected to 2.4G on Orbi RBK752-100NAS mesh router. In setup menu, smartphone needs to be on same network (2.4G). Set smartphone to ignore 5G and connected to 2.4G channel. Phone shows SAVED, not Connected. Cannot communicate with smart switch.

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
klkngsal
Guide

Re: MOTO G7 smartphone cannot connect to 2.4G to set up KASA smart switch ORBI RBK 752-100NAS

OK. Success! You jogged me to think through the connections. Originally, the TP Link lights indicated they required 2.4G. Since I used a traditional router, it was no problem logging into the channel and setting up the lights. I just got fiber and switched to the Orbi Mesh router and didn't quite get the concept of one router name and auto switching - therefore, I was trying to log the lights (and phone) into the 2.4G channel instead of the general channel name. Didn't work. Logged lights into the Orbi general router name and phone as well, all good. Everything hooked up, lights work on Kasa app and now controlled by Alexa! Thanks for patience and help, it is much appreciated.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 18

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: MOTO G7 smartphone cannot connect to 2.4G to set up KASA smart switch ORBI RBK 752-100NAS

try turning down the 5ghz broadcast power (and shut off the satellite) on the 5ghz. then move a bit away from the router and disconnect/reconnect to wifi. See if it'll connect to 2.4ghz that route. 

Message 2 of 18
klkngsal
Guide

Nope. Selected forget for all routers on phone, then reconnected 2.4G. Still shows "Saved" as opposed to "Connected." Tried to connect to KASA installer, indicates not connected to router/internet.

Message 3 of 18
klkngsal
Guide

Set 5G to 25% power. 2.4G to 100% and turned off satellite.

Message 4 of 18
plemans
Guru

did you move a ways away from the router? 2.4ghz broadcasts futher than 5ghz. 

One other thing I've done is setup my hotspot on a phone to use the same ssid/password as the router. Then I shut off the router, turn on the hotspot and set it up using the hotspot. once its setup, shut off the hotspot and turn the router back on. it should auto-connect then. 

Message 5 of 18
klkngsal
Guide

Yep, moved across the street, same problem. Don't have a plan that supports hotspot tethering. I've never needed it. Can I shut off 5G temporarily?

Message 6 of 18
plemans
Guru

No. the 5ghz can't be disabled. 

You can disable the ssid broadcast but the radio still works. 

You can try that option as sometimes it works. Just make sure to disconnect/reconnect 

Message 7 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@klkngsal wrote:

Installed a KASA TP-Link smartswitch that connected to 2.4G on Orbi RBK752-100NAS mesh router. In setup menu, smartphone needs to be on same network (2.4G). Set smartphone to ignore 5G and connected to 2.4G channel. Phone shows SAVED, not Connected. Cannot communicate with smart switch.

I have installed a bunch of TP-Link KASA smart plugs (indoor and outdoor).  They all got set up without doing anything to the Orbi or to my Android phone.  The phone has to be connected to the Orbi WiFi, but not to a 2.4G channel.

What happens when you simply do the KASA app without changing anything on the phone?

Message 8 of 18
plemans
Guru

mine setup fine as well and I have quite a few. always worth trying 

Message 9 of 18
klkngsal
Guide

It tells me

Connet to Your Wi-Fi

Go to your phone's settings and make sure you are on the following network

2.4G

Message 10 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

and when you just go ahead with the setup....?

(I routinely ignore those warnings.when setting up IoT devices.)

What is the model number of this switch?

Message 11 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

If you will specify the exact KASA part number, I'll buy one and hook it up.

Home Depot has the HS-220 in stock, but I want to be sure to duplicate the situation.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TP-LINK-Kasa-Smart-Wi-Fi-Light-Dimmer-Switch-White-HS220/315518596 

Message 12 of 18
klkngsal
Guide

I think the problem is with the phone and the Orbi. No matter what I do, I canno connect the phone to the 2G network.I "Forget" the 5G and connect the 2G and the best it does is show "Saved" not "Connected."  The TP-Link Smart Switch AA6B connects to the WiFi and shows up on the phone, but I cannot progress through the installation since the phone will not go to 2G.

Message 13 of 18
klkngsal
Guide

I looked at assigning separate SSID to the 5G and 2.4G. It is involved, but I checked at the Netgear site and it indicates the router software does not support separate SSID. I have a ticket in with Netgear. Still waiting.

Message 14 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@klkngsal wrote:

I looked at assigning separate SSID to the 5G and 2.4G. It is involved, but I checked at the Netgear site and it indicates the router software does not support separate SSID. I have a ticket in with Netgear. Still waiting.

A ticket with Netgear will do no good.  No Orbi product has ever supported assigning different SSIS's to 2.4G and 5GWiFi.

Would this TP-Link product perhaps be an HS-220?

(I can find no KASA product numbered AA6B.)  I just purchased an HS-220 and will have it connected within the hour.

When you say the switch connects to WiFi, does that mean it shows up as an Attached Device (web) or Connected Device (app)?

Message 15 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

As expected, the TP-Link KASA HS-220 smart dimmer sets up like all other KASA products.

My Android smart phone was connected to the Orbi WiFi at 5g. (I checked).

Connected the dimmer switch and powered it up*.

Opened KASA app.  "Is the WiFi symbol on the front changing from orange to blue?"  Yes.

KASA app searched for dimmer switch, displayed serial number and asked, "This one?" Yes.

App displayed a list of available WiFi systems and asked me to choose one and enter password.(It had actually remembered the password because I have so many KASA devices on the network.)

App warned, "You must be connected to this same WiFi system to proceed." Yes, I Am (at 5G). Declined opportunity to go to Network Settings.

Went through some ho-ha about setting the minimum brightness setting where the bulb would turn on.

Entered name and picked symbol for dimmer switch.

Now, the KASA app can turn the switch on/off, adjust the brightness level.

At no time did "2.4G" come up.  Not on the box. Not on the printed instruction sheet inside the box.  Not in the app.

TP-Link KASA are by far the easiest "smart things" to deploy.

*One tiny nit-pick.  The printed labels on the back of the switch are in tiny print. At first the switch did not come on because Dumbo here connected Line to Load and Load to Line. "No harm, no foul.", but I had already shoved the whole mess into a plastic junction box.

Reminder: Test It first, then make it safe (and pretty).

Message 16 of 18
klkngsal
Guide

OK. Success! You jogged me to think through the connections. Originally, the TP Link lights indicated they required 2.4G. Since I used a traditional router, it was no problem logging into the channel and setting up the lights. I just got fiber and switched to the Orbi Mesh router and didn't quite get the concept of one router name and auto switching - therefore, I was trying to log the lights (and phone) into the 2.4G channel instead of the general channel name. Didn't work. Logged lights into the Orbi general router name and phone as well, all good. Everything hooked up, lights work on Kasa app and now controlled by Alexa! Thanks for patience and help, it is much appreciated.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7