Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: May have uploaded zip file to Orbi

Doc_Eck
Aspirant

May have uploaded zip file to Orbi

Hello,

I recently manually updated my BRB852 router and satellite firmware via the web interface (it was not updating automatically). All went well, but I initially (inadvertently) uploaded the satellite's firmware zip file (before unpacking) and now the interface continues to show there is a manual firmware waiting to be updated (3.2.11.2). I factory reset the satellite, but this did not clear the file from the update section. I'd prefer not to reset the router (which is running in AP mode).

Ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Hero

The Manual Update page is always supposed to look the way it shows in your screenshot.  I don't see anything wrong.  That page never shows the RBR because the top section's Browse and Update buttons are for the RBR while the bottom section (with the list of checkboxes) is for manually updating any RBSs - You check the RBS you want to update and press the Update button, this takes you to a different webpage to perform the actual update.

For comparison see screenshots I've attached of my Online Update and Manual Update tabs.  I have 3 satellies with my RBR.  The Online Update tab lists RBR + each RBS, whereas the Manual Update tab only shows the list of RBSs and therefore always has one less rows.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBR or RBS will not accept any .zip file to upload for FW. 

You'll need to unpack the .zip file then select the .chk file from with in that folder. 

Use the manual FW file tab to select each .chk file. 

Message 2 of 19
Doc_Eck
Aspirant

Good to know it won't accept the zip file. Any idea why the manual upgrade in the web interface still shows a pending RBS file to upload? Any idea how to clear from the web interface? Both the RBR and RBS are running the latest firmware.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different web browser, IE11, FF or Opera. 
Be sure to clear ALL browser caches, exit the browser then re-open the browser. 

Message 4 of 19
Doc_Eck
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I've tried your suggestion and logged in through Edge (previously Chrome) as well as through Chrome iOS and the update continues to sit there waiting to be applied. If I try to reapply it asks for the file to be reuploaded. At this point /shrug.

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, that seems odd. 

Well one way to be sure that everything is wiped out is to press the back reset button on the back of the RBR for 15 seconds then release. Setup the RBR from scratch. Clear all browser caches again. During the walk thru of the setup wizard, you may see a prompt or notification of new FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-v3-2-15-25-FW-update-seen-in-Orbi-App-Today/td-p/191648...

There are no actual files for this available yet. So you can apply v3.2.11.2, then check the Orbi app or Auto udpate checker on the RBRs web page to see if this newer version of FW is available to you. 

You can choose to update here at this point in the setup wizard or skip and finish the wizard and then go in an manually update FW again. 

Message 6 of 19
Mikey94025
Hero

@Doc_Eck wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I've tried your suggestion and logged in through Edge (previously Chrome) as well as through Chrome iOS and the update continues to sit there waiting to be applied. If I try to reapply it asks for the file to be reuploaded. At this point /shrug.

Can you upload a screenshot of this?  Something is very off if you notice this in different browsers, so there may be something else going on here.

Message 7 of 19
Doc_Eck
Aspirant

@Mikey94025 wrote:

@Doc_Eck wrote:

Can you upload a screenshot of this?  Something is very off if you notice this in different browsers, so there may be something else going on here.

Let me know if you can't view the screen capture. Thanks.

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't see anything indicating there is a .zip file waiting to be uploaded in your screen shot. 

Message 9 of 19
Doc_Eck
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I don't see anything indicating there is a .zip file waiting to be uploaded in your screen shot. 

I inadvertently selected the zip file when trying to manually update the RBS. Unsure if the zip file uploaded or the actual firmware file was extracted, but either way you can see the firmware waiting to be applied despite having already been done. Any way to remove the update waiting to be applied, which you can see in the attachment? 

Thanks.

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

The attached picture doesn't show any messages. RBS living room and it's version. Nothing else. 

Looks ok from the picture.

Message 11 of 19
Doc_Eck
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The attached picture doesn't show any messages. RBS living room and it's version. Nothing else. 

Looks ok from the picture.

Thanks Furry; I appreciate the assistance. The RBS living room and it's version continues to be present despite having been updated manually (along with the RBR). Unsure why the RBR is not listed or why the RBR continues to be listed. If all is good I won't worry about it.

Thanks again.

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I got cha. 

Something to do a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Both RBR and RBS should be listed there.

There is new FW out now. 

Message 13 of 19
Doc_Eck
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I got cha. 

Something to do a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Both RBR and RBS should be listed there.

There is new FW out now. 

I did a factory reset on the RBS and called no joy. I figured it would come down to a factory reset on the RBR. I'll update to the new firmware when the Orbi sees it available and see if that clears things up. Thanks again.

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya the RBR needs a reset. 

I loaded mine thru the web page UI last nite. Both RBS and the RBR saw the update and updated fine for me. I didn't do a reset last nite as I didn't have time. System seemed to work ok though. I have more testing to do this weekend. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 19
Doc_Eck
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ya the RBR needs a reset. 

I loaded mine thru the web page UI last nite. Both RBS and the RBR saw the update and updated fine for me. I didn't do a reset last nite as I didn't have time. System seemed to work ok though. I have more testing to do this weekend. Smiley Wink

Ok, thanks. My system doesn't see the update nor is it showing up for me on the BRB850 support page. Any way you can post a link. If not I'll be patient.

Again, thanks for the help.

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

NG hasn't posted FW files yes on the download site. 

Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. This should clear any issues and you should see notification of new FW. 

Message 17 of 19
Mikey94025
Hero

The Manual Update page is always supposed to look the way it shows in your screenshot.  I don't see anything wrong.  That page never shows the RBR because the top section's Browse and Update buttons are for the RBR while the bottom section (with the list of checkboxes) is for manually updating any RBSs - You check the RBS you want to update and press the Update button, this takes you to a different webpage to perform the actual update.

For comparison see screenshots I've attached of my Online Update and Manual Update tabs.  I have 3 satellies with my RBR.  The Online Update tab lists RBR + each RBS, whereas the Manual Update tab only shows the list of RBSs and therefore always has one less rows.

Message 18 of 19
Doc_Eck
Aspirant

@Mikey94025 wrote:

Awesome, thanks Mikey! Looks like I am good to go then. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7