Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Orbi RBR750 router stopped connecting to the internet

ClayCalhoun
Tutor

My Orbi RBR750 router stopped connecting to the internet

My Orbi RBR750 router stopped connecting to the internet. So lost wifi for the whole house – a disaster! I went through the various recovery steps and even replaced the modem. I know the new modem works as I can get internet on my laptop when I make a direct connection between the two. I ended up doing a hard reset on the Orbi to no avail.

I should also mention that I use Netgear’s bit defender software and PAY for that annul service.

Anyway, I reached out to Netgear’s Tech Support. Some guy from Austin, TX called me. He said the following:

1. Never hard reset the Orbi as that can damage the hardware (then why does netgear give that as an option???)
  2. I gave him my mac address and serial number. He apparently looked up my router. He said the Orbi is fine but it shut itself down due to a security intrusion.
  3. He can easily get my router up and running again, BUT only if I pay him several hundred dollars for a security plan  (what??? Total Extortion!)
  4. I said I just wanted to get my router working again. He said there is nothing he can help me with if I don’t agree to pay….. so we closed out the call.

I have had Netgear products forever, and I actually like the Orbi. But if this is how I am to be treated by Netgear after the product is a little over 2 years old, then I will never buy another one of their products again. SMH….

Guys, is there any advice you can provide?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: My Orbi RBR750 router stopped connecting to the internet

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  

Whom ever told you to never factory reset told you false information. FR are a last resort or can be used to troubleshoot problems and DO NOT damage the HW. 

Factory reset and setup from scratch :A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

OR if you have access to the RBRs web page, I prefer doing a FR using the ERASE button:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 2 of 6
ClayCalhoun
Tutor

OK here is what I did.

1. Confirmed the modem was still working by plugging an ethernet cable from the modem directly into my laptop (with the laptop wifi off). Internet was available – so the modem was working properly. Then I disconnected that cable.

1. Connected my phone to my laptop through a USB cable and set the phone up as a hot spot to get internet access.
  2. Connected an ethernet cable from my laptop to one of the 4 spare ports on the Orbi router.
  3. Connected the modem to the Orbi’s yellow port.
  4. Now my laptop can see the internet (through my phone’s hot spot) and the Orbi router with its direct connection.
  5. Cleared the cookies from my browser.
  6. Factory reset the Orbi (this is one of two resets as you described).
  7. Went to 192.168.1.1 from my Google Chrome browser and got into the Orbi setup page. (I had trouble getting to the setup page but after several attempts, I was able to get in each time.) I set up only the router the first time (said no satellites). I added satellites later - which you basically just plug them if you move them close enough.
  8. Changed the address pool as you recommended.
  9. Reset the Orbi a second time as you suggested.
  10. After this second reset – Voila! The Orbi connected to the internet and came back to life!!
  11. I made the wifi name and password the same as they were before so everything reconnected without a hitch.

I’m so grateful for the help! Thank You! Thank You!! Thank You!!! Still a Netgear fan!

Now that it's fixed, what do you think caused the failure?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 6
ClayCalhoun
Tutor

thank you so much!
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Aim to please. Come back anytime to visit. 

😉

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7