Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My RBR850 system keeps kicking off my devices

Fmatzkin
Aspirant

My RBR850 system keeps kicking off my devices

My Mesh wifi system keeps kicking off my devices. It happens mostly with Apple devices (iPhone and iPad running the latest OS)

My home has 3 floors and I have one device covering each floor, backhaul wired connection with every satellite, everything looks perfect but still the system randomly kicks my devices of the network. I can reconnect again only after many attempts.

I have around 65 devices total connected to the system (many smart home devices) and 1Gigabit FIOS connection. I am using the guest network for the smart home devices mostly. Latest firmware version.

I really don't know what else to try, and I am already thinking of throwing the system away and buying a Velop.

Any suggestion?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
n7qnm
Aspirant

I have EXACTLY the same issue.   

I've put some time and effort into this, and it looks like it's some sort of issue with DNS that happens when device is "handed off" between the router and satellite.

I got a BETA version of the router software, and that SEEMED to fix it for a bit; but lately it's back with a vengance.

It APPEARS (but I need to do some more testing to verify) that it ONLY happens when the  ORBI is used as a DNS.   I have my own internal DNS servers; but am letting the ORBI "hand out" itrself as a "caching DNS".   I'm gonna try to revert back later this week and verify the issue goes away, will keep posted!

Clay

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 2 of 5
Fmatzkin
Aspirant

I use Cloudflare as a DNS server…
Message 3 of 5
n7qnm
Aspirant

Interesting - are you using DCHP?  What domain server(s) is your Orbi "advertising"?

If "hard code" Google as a domain service on my iPhone, the disconnects/reconnects go away; but that messes up some internal server access I need, so, I have to (re)implement internal DNS servers before I can test this "long tern:

Clay

Message 4 of 5
jayeshm
Apprentice

You know for a setup like your's look at Unifi gear. You will get much better mileage out of those and it offers decent set of controls. Pair it with a pfsense firewall and you get amazing control over your network

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7