Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My iPhone 13 pro would loss the internet connection

bassvic
Aspirant

My iPhone 13 pro would loss the internet connection

My RBK752 and one additional RBS750 satellite system has the same issue. My iPhone 13 pro would loss the internet connection or wifi connection occasionlly after walking through/between the satellites, and the router covery area is not affected. I have tried many ways to fix / configure the problem, including those mentioned above. The problem persists.

Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: My iPhone 13 pro would loss the internet connection

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

How many RBS doe you have deployed? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What CTS value are you using currently? Try 500 or 2347? 

Message 2 of 15
bassvic
Aspirant

Firmwire: 4.6.8.5

The orbi ax system is connected to Taiwan CHT modem/ONT model RTF8217, via PPPoE

The system include one RBR750 and two RBS750, using wired backhaul

My home: Three floors, each floor 18.2 sq ft.

The router is located on second floor and the satellites located on first and third floor.

Channel: 2.4G: auto / 5G: 48

I have tried to set the 2.4G power to 50% and CTS/RTS value to 2347 but the issue persists.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

@bassvic wrote:

Firmwire: 4.6.8.5

The orbi ax system is connected to Taiwan CHT modem/ONT model RTF8217, via PPPoE

The system include one RBR750 and two RBS750, using wired backhaul

Are the RBS directly connected to the RBR in back or is there a patch panel or LAN switch in between? 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

My home: Three floors, each floor 18.2 sq ft. <18 sq ft? Thats really a small place. Can you confirm the total size of the home? ####sq ft? 

The router is located on second floor and the satellites located on first and third floor.

Turn OFF both RBS, does the phones keep connected or do they still disconnect from the RBR?

Then turn one RBS back ON. Leave the 2nd RBS OFF. What happens here with the iphones? 

Channel: 2.4G: auto / 5G: 48 <Try setting channel 11 and 48.

I have tried to set the 2.4G power to 50% and CTS/RTS value to 2347 but the issue persists.

What iOS are you using on the iPhones? 

Message 4 of 15
bassvic
Aspirant

Sorry, the area of one floor is 2109.7 sq ft. (14 x 14 m^2)

iOS 15.5

The wire backhaul is connected by switches, GS108Ev3 and GS308E.

I've noticed that if I turn off one of the RBS, or set one of RBS to wireless backhaul, the system would get more stable.

Iphone in router's wifi covering area has stable wifi connecting, regardless of the RBS status (turn on/off).

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. For that size of home. Two RBS is too much. The RBR and one RBS and power set to 50% should work well. 

The Switches could also be a problem. There maybe some protocols on this switch that could be effecting how the RBS are communicating and passing traffic back and forth. There any web page for these switches by chance? I have same models, just not the E version. Mine are the unmanaged version of what you have. 

What CAT# lan cable are you using between the RBR, RBS and Switches? 

Message 6 of 15
bassvic
Aspirant

I use the same wire backhaul network for previous set of RBK50 system (one router and four satellites).

They worked very well. I do not think the switchs are the problem. The RBK50 system is currently moved to a new house, with similar wired backhaul connection and they work well too.

My house has many rooms and walls, so if using only one router and one satellite, the wifi signal in some corner room would be weak (strength less than -80 dbm).

I just think the RBK750 system have some unknown backhaul issue or some roaming connecting issue to iPhone.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

The 50 series is a older system. not quite the same. I'm amazed that even work in your current sized home with the RBR and 4 RBS? Must have been noisey and severe wifi signal over lap. 

The 7 and 8 series are more powerful thus the need for additional RBS in a small size home is not needed and can cause problems. I run a RBR and 1 RBS wired with 50% power and plenty of coverage in a 3 level 5000sq ft home. I don't have any issues with my iPhone 12 Pro.

if the RBR and 1 RBS wireless is working better than RBS that are wired with two RBS, would probably be having too many RBS and possible some wired back haul issues. 

Would recommend that you make contact with NG support if you feel this is something with the orbi system. Let them know. 

Message 8 of 15
bassvic
Aspirant

Abnormal frequent DHCP IP record to both sats (.14 and .15)

The iPhone might get 169.254.x.x ip while the wifi disconnect, and iPhone would get normal ip subnet (192.168.2.x) after one to two minutes

螢幕擷取畫面 2022-07-15 005635-1.jpg20220718_105413000_iOS.png

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have the GN running? Normally any thing on the GN is assigned to the 192.168.2.x subnet. 

Please translate the 2nd picture to English...

Message 10 of 15
bassvic
Aspirant

After try and error all day, I finally found the cause.

# The original setting (with roaming problem):  Modem --- Switch 1 --- (tagged port) ---- Switch 2 ---- Router

I used VLAN to separate WAN and LAN signal between router and modem, owing to limitation of wire and gear placement in my house

In this setting, LAN signals also walk through the tagged port, including the backhaul.

I found if the backhaul signal walk through the tagged port, it would get some problem between the router and satellites, making roaming to satellite unstable. I removed the tagged VLAN path in backhaul, setting the router and satellite wired to untagged ports in the same VLAN groups. The system is working stably now.

The same wired backhaul framework with tagged ports communication is stable on RBK50 series (Orbi AC mesh), but it could not work stably on RBK750 series (Orbi AX mesh). 

Thanks to @FURRYe38 , remind me of the difference between the Orbi AX and AC systems.

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I don't VLAN my system here. Probably why I didn't see it or don't see it. 

I kind of figured something was happening at the switch level. 

Not sure if the RBS are meant or support any kind of VLAN configurations between the RBR and RBS. Orbi systems are kind of particular when it comes to ethernet connected RBS. Been like this for a while. Even on Orbi AC. Mostly green ethernet and IGMP was problematic for Orbi AC back then. 

Not a lot of home users use VLANs for LAN side configurations. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 12 of 15
bassvic
Aspirant

The unstable disconnect issue occurred again after three days. This time I set the Orbi system (router mode) back to my original VLAN framework with wired backhaul and uncheking the 20/40 MHz conexistance (based on this article: orbi753分机掉线 - NETGEAR Communities). It becomes stable again for two days now, with slightly increased internet ping. By the way, my original VLAN wired backhaul network worked very well in the first year, with Orbi RBK752 in AP mode.

I think the new firmeware (4.6.8.2 / 4.6.8.5) is the main cause of unstablility (after my days and weeks efforts). However, back to old firmware is not my choice owing to security vulnerabilities fixes.

It is shame one Netgear and its Orbi AX system. They are expensive, overpriced and disappointed. 😠

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have email logging enabled?

Message 14 of 15
bassvic
Aspirant

Not yet.

I reset the router this time and did not reload the backup file.

Renew: The Wi-Fi disconnection on roaming iPhone occurred again (after unchecking the 20/40 MHz coexistance).

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7