Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR ORBI connection drops with PS4

Danyus24
Aspirant

NETGEAR ORBI connection drops with PS4

I am having continous drops when playing my ps4 online.  I just recieved my Netgear Orbi with satelite and really wanted to enjoy the game but my game kept rebooting every 10 or 15 minutes.  I have it LAN cabled to the satellite for better connection but still keeps dropping.  Please help!

Message 1 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling WMM. Be sure CTS and RTS values are set for 2347. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@Danyus24 wrote:

I am having continous drops when playing my ps4 online.  I just recieved my Netgear Orbi with satelite and really wanted to enjoy the game but my game kept rebooting every 10 or 15 minutes.  I have it LAN cabled to the satellite for better connection but still keeps dropping.  Please help!

Message 2 of 38
Danyus24
Aspirant

What Firmware is currently loaded? V3.2.10.11_1.2.12
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Manufacture is NTT and model PR-500MI. I forgot to mention that it looks to be only a problem with my son and my PS4 that I have connected directly to the satellite. Also, I’m in Japan.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 2000
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 15ft
Message 3 of 38
Danyus24
Aspirant

I have contacted amazon and they have tried to help but no solution.
Message 4 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Distance between the RBR and RBS is too close. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try turning OFF the RBS. Does the PS4 still drop connection? 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Ensure CTS and RTS values are set for 2347 for both 2.4G and 5G. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

If any of this still fails, please contact @Christian_R and ask for a beta FW that solved a recent PS4 problem for another user here in the forums. I think it may have been v10.1. Not sure though. Hopefully he will know. 

Message 5 of 38
Danyus24
Aspirant

I turned off the RBS and the PS4 dropped connection even more. I changed the channels and still did not help. I will try the contact you mentioned. Thanks
Message 6 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Let us now how it goes. 

Message 7 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure CTS and RTS values are set for 2347 for both 2.4G and 5G. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@Danyus24 wrote:
I turned off the RBS and the PS4 dropped connection even more. I changed the channels and still did not help. I will try the contact you mentioned. Thanks

Message 8 of 38
Danyus24
Aspirant

I did make sure that CTS and RTS values are set for 2347 for both 2.4G and 5G.
Message 9 of 38
cruisencode
Apprentice

Welcome to the club.  It seems that the latest firmware update is causing major issues for many people.

Message 10 of 38
farmrt88
Star

My Xbox one constantly dropped connections with the newest firmware even after all recommended changes.  The fix was to hook up a previous router to cable modem and turn it's wifi off.  Then hook the Orbi up to the old router and place the Orbi in AP mode.  No Xbox One disconnects since this change.

Do you have another Wireless router available for now to try this?

Message 11 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you have made any progress. 

If you have your prior router handy, you can set it up as the main host router temporarily and configure the RBR for AP mode while NG works on getting this fixed.

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Danyus24 wrote:

Message 12 of 38
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

Danny, I know I am probably preaching to the choir but please bear with me in order to eliminate potential issues. Please ensure that you have the RBS (satellite) a minimum of 30 feet or more from the RBR (router)-this is critical for the proper functioning of the unit-if you are doing an ethernet connection between the RBR and RBS disconnect please. With the latest firmware installed on both the RBR and the RBS do a hard reset on both units by pushing in the reset button and hold till the light flashes amber. Using the Orbi app do a new setup and use the original SSID and password for your wireless network-DO NOT reload a configurtion file to speed up the install. Go to the wirless page (Orbi GUI, orbilogin.net) under the Basic tab and deselect 20/40 coexistence for the 2.4GHz radio. As you have been advised in previous posts ensure under the advanced tab, advanced settings, wireless that CTS/RTS is set to 2347 (right now it defaults to 64) and set the preamble for both radios to short-ensure you click apply between each change. Once you have your Orbi configured make sure you have a good connection to your satellite (wireless) under attached devices and that the wireless network has found your wireless devices (PS4 Pro may not show up-yet). Fire up your PS4 Pro and go into the network page where you normally setup your wireless network-when the PS4 Pro finishes scanning for available wireless networks (yours should be available at this point) depress options on your PS4 Pro controller. You will see wifi frequency-select that and you will see three choices (Auto, 5GHz only, 2.4GHz only). Obviously Auto is the default so please select 2.4GHz only and complete the setup-PS4 Pro should be connected to the Orbi at this point and under network status reflect 2.4GHz for the wirless frequency. Do a restart on the PS4 Pro and see if the wireless connection is retained-it should. Experiment with the other wireless frequencies (5GHz only, and auto) to see if the PS4 Pro connects to your wireless network and retains the wireless connection after the restart on the PS4 Pro. I have the RBK852 in AP mode behind an ASUS router and right now I have no issues but I am also running beta firmware so the fix I outlined above should be addressed with the next public firmware released. I just want to get you up and running with your PS4 Pro and not have wireless disconnects. By the way, how far away is your PS4 Pro from either RBR or the satellite RBS? Hope this helps and others that go down this road.

@FURRYe38 

Message 13 of 38
ekhalil
Master

@Danyus24 I have exactly the same issue as you. My internet is dropping every eaxtly 10 minutes for copule of seconds. This affects my IPTV streaming, Skype calls and all other connection-oriented IP services (wired and wireless).

Downgrading Orbi AX to  V3.1.5.23_1.0.46 solved the issue. Nothing else worked for me so far.

Message 14 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Danyus24 wrote:

Message 15 of 38
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Danyus24 @cruisencode @farmrt88

We have uploaded the fix to our update server. The fix will be pushed to your devices. For any disconnection issues after 24 hours, please let us know. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 16 of 38
Danyus24
Aspirant

I have boxed up my Orbi to send back to Amazon and ordered an Alien router. I will give the Orbi one more try to see if the issue is fixed with out doing extra work to keep a connection.
Message 17 of 38
Sledheadextreme
Aspirant

Curious if your issue was resolved.

Message 18 of 38
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

Ever since NG pushed V3.2.10.11_1.2.12 (I have my RBK852 in AP mode), I have had no problems with wireless disconnects (see my previous post in this thread) with the PS4 Pro in 5GHz only mode (press options on the controller after the network scan on the PS4 Pro completes). I have used three different routers (Apple Time Capsule 3TB, ASUS GT-AX11000, and NG RAX80). I am about to hook up a NG RAX200 and if I have any issues at that point I will post here but highly unlikely at this point. I have been on the PS4 Pro for hours at a time over the last several weeks and the only issue was an ISP over capacity demand not attributible to the Orbi or PS4 Pro.

@Sledheadextreme 

Message 19 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@Sledheadextreme wrote:

Curious if your issue was resolved.

Message 20 of 38

Has anyone able to get this resovled? I've been facing this issue with the latest update for my PS4 as well. I've reset my whole network from scratch. Switched satellites around and PS4 still drops connect after I put it to sleep. The only way to resolve the issue is to reboot the the network. Why is Netgear not address this issue. I've seen it on so many  other forums . 

Message 21 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Temporarily disable AX mode to see if this helps any. 

@skylinetrain16 wrote:

Has anyone able to get this resovled? I've been facing this issue with the latest update for my PS4 as well. I've reset my whole network from scratch. Switched satellites around and PS4 still drops connect after I put it to sleep. The only way to resolve the issue is to reboot the the network. Why is Netgear not address this issue. I've seen it on so many  other forums . 

Message 22 of 38

Firmware V2.5.1.16 running RBR50 and RBS50. 

ISP: comcast

Modem: Netgear CM1000

Distance Between Router Satellite is well within 30 feet. I have no issues with any other devices in the house except for the PS4. 

Message 23 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

If you turn OFF The RBS, does the PS problem still continue? 

30 feet distance or more is recommended between RBR and RBS. 

May try updating FW as well. 

Try the couple of suggestions too..

@skylinetrain16 wrote:

Firmware V2.5.1.16 running RBR50 and RBS50. 

ISP: comcast

Modem: Netgear CM1000

Distance Between Router Satellite is well within 30 feet. I have no issues with any other devices in the house except for the PS4. 

Message 24 of 38

Firmware is up to date when I checked. Problem still persist if satellite is turned off. 

Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7