Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need recommendations for best wireless camera to use with Orbi 6 mesh with 2 satellites

Skipwoodham
Aspirant

Need recommendations for best wireless camera to use with Orbi 6 mesh with 2 satellites

Looking to put at least 3 cameras on the system. 
TIA

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Need recommendations for best wireless camera to use with Orbi 6 mesh with 2 satellites

Every major brand of camera will work with the Orbi WiFi network.  The decision should be based on which "ecosystem" you prefer.

• Are you a Google Nest person?
  • A Netgear Arlo person?
  • A TP-Link, Wyze, etc. etc etc.?
Message 2 of 6
Skipwoodham
Aspirant

Re: Need recommendations for best wireless camera to use with Orbi 6 mesh with 2 satellites

Not really a technical guy….just need a couple of cameras that work well and have motion detection. What brand would you recommend for ease of installation and set up. Need one outside and one inside. And do they have to be the same brand to work seamlessly on the Orbi?

TIA

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I enjoy my D-Link cameras. 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Skipwoodham wrote:

do they have to be the same brand to work seamlessly on the Orbi?

There could be a dozen different brands of cameras and the Orbi will neither know nor care.  It's just WiFi.  The reason you want only one brand of camera is to keep from having multiple apps required to view them all.  ("Oh, for this alert I open the KASA app.  For that alert I open the Nest app. For this other alert I open.....)

The issues I see are:

• Where do you want to place the cameras?
  • How are you going to power them? (Hint: battery powered cameras were all the rage for a while until people got fed up with charging the batteries all the time - taking the cameras down and putting them back up, etc. etc. Many people now mount solar panels next to the cameras.)
  • What features are important?  Do you want them to send alerts to your phone every time someone walks down the sidewalk?
  • Do you have a home automation platform for smart plugs, security system, speakers, etc. etc.

My first foray into security cameras was to purchase one and "see how it went."  If the experience was horrible, I intended to smash the camera into bits and throw it away, then try something else.

This is a case where you might need to talk things over with a friend.

Message 5 of 6
ekhalil
Master

....... The reason you want only one brand of camera is to keep from having multiple apps required to view them all.  ("Oh, for this alert I open the KASA app.  For that alert I open the Nest app. For this other alert I open.....)

This is the good part of using Apple HomeKit. You can use multiple cameras of any brand then you will see all the cameras on the Home app regardless of the camera's brand. 🙂

I use a mix of Netatmo cameras (outdoor and indoor camras and a doorbell) and Google Nest cameras/doorbell. I see all my cameras on the Home app in my iPhone and MacBook. 🙂

The issues I see are:

• Where do you want to place the cameras?
  • How are you going to power them? (Hint: battery powered cameras were all the rage for a while until people got fed up with charging the batteries all the time - taking the cameras down and putting them back up, etc. etc. Many people now mount solar panels next to the cameras.)
  • What features are important?  Do you want them to send alerts to your phone every time someone walks down the sidewalk?
  • Do you have a home automation platform for smart plugs, security system, speakers, etc. etc.

An important aspect with cameras is if you want to store events. Some cameras (like Netatmo) offer ftp/sftp and private cloud so that you can have your own storage, while majority of the other vendos (Nest, Arlo, ...) force you to pay subscriptions for storage on their cloud.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7