Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi 850 with 2 satellites vs UK Sky Internet

Sr19875
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi 850 with 2 satellites vs UK Sky Internet

Hi,

I have a Netgear Orbi, and have Sky Fibre FTTH, with Sky Q tv. Now I have seen all the issues on various pages saying Sky is a nightmare to work with as the Sky routers don’t have bridge mode. Now I’m fairly confident in my IT/Networking Skills so my first option was to use the Orbi as my modem/router to handle all WiFi and LAN. After reading online I’ve seen people say that Sky modems/routers don’t allow bridge mode access or allow you to us your own equipment.

I used my Orbi system on a previous network no problem but, since moving and selecting Sky as a provider, I’ve had nothing but issues.

So I had to complete a Orbi factory reset as for what ever reason since the move the system just didn’t want to sync up. After a factory reset I got Orbi synced up and working online. My issues though…..

1. DHCP/IP Address - so I’m aware that having two systems online together will issue multiple ip address and dhcps. So the way I have set up my system is that the sky is using a .0.1 IP and orbi has a .1.1 system. This should allow Sky to issue IPs in 0.1 range and Orbi in the 1.1 range and we shouldn’t have clash. I believe this is correct? My Orbi is router mode right now. Would I be better in AP?

2. The WiFi signal - so I’m in a smallish barn house conversation. The walls are only plaster board with no solid walls, but the Orbi is struggling to connect to the main base unit. Both satellites are on the same floor level and max 10 metres away from each other with no walls blocking the signal, but I’m getting the orange signal lights.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi 850 with 2 satellites vs UK Sky Internet

@Sr19875 wrote:

Hi,

I have a Netgear Orbi, and have Sky Fibre FTTH, with Sky Q tv. Now I have seen all the issues on various pages saying Sky is a nightmare to work with as the Sky routers don’t have bridge mode. Now I’m fairly confident in my IT/Networking Skills so my first option was to use the Orbi as my modem/router to handle all WiFi and LAN. After reading online I’ve seen people say that Sky modems/routers don’t allow bridge mode access or allow you to us your own equipment.

I used my Orbi system on a previous network no problem but, since moving and selecting Sky as a provider, I’ve had nothing but issues.

So I had to complete a Orbi factory reset as for what ever reason since the move the system just didn’t want to sync up. After a factory reset I got Orbi synced up and working online. My issues though…..

1. DHCP/IP Address - so I’m aware that having two systems online together will issue multiple ip address and dhcps. So the way I have set up my system is that the sky is using a .0.1 IP and orbi has a .1.1 system. This should allow Sky to issue IPs in 0.1 range and Orbi in the 1.1 range and we shouldn’t have clash. I believe this is correct? Yes.

My Orbi is router mode right now. Would I be better in AP? Yes, however be sure that the DMZ or IP-Passthru on the ISP router is configured for the RBR if you want the RBR in router mode. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
Try option #2 first...

2. The WiFi signal - so I’m in a smallish barn house conversation. The walls are only plaster board with no solid walls, but the Orbi is struggling to connect to the main base unit. Both satellites are on the same floor level and max 10 metres away from each other with no walls blocking the signal, but I’m getting the orange signal lights.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

️What channel configurations are currently set on the router?

Message 2 of 4
Sr19875
Aspirant

@FURRYe38

Appreciate the reply. So I’ve tried a few things like you suggested but I just can’t getting it working properly as the network just collapses on either end.

So the ISP modem/router does allow bridge mode, as this has been disabled for what ever reason.

As for this DMZ/IP-pass through, this is something I’ve never experienced but the ISP router does have this, so I tried to follow a few tutorials, and the ISP router just collapsed and I could no longer gain router access plus it went offline, factory reset required.

Tried to set up the Orbi as APs but for what ever reason the Orbi just doesn’t like been in AP mode. This Orbi just collapsed and I was unable to get access to the internet, and the satellites didnt want to sync either.

Managed to set up Orbi in router mode alongside the ISP, and it’s working ok. I think I do experience some double DNS/DHCP issues as pages don’t load all the time, but it’s giving me some internet. As it stands, I have disabled my WiFi on my ISP equipment, and then plugged the Orbi into the ISP. Then the internet setup wizard managed to get the Orbis online so all working (I think). ISP is broadcasting in the 192.168.0.1 range but nothing is connected that, and my Orbi is broadcasting in the 192.168.1.1 range and that’s got all my peripherals connect too.

My ISP are reluctant to supply the User(domain) name and password so I can use my own modem/router so it’s just making things a lot harder. 
When I have more time I need to really spend some time on this as I know my network isn’t perfect as it is, but it’s working at least.

Have to say I’ve used ASUS WiFi 6 mesh products before in the pass they are so much more easier to configure and the GUI is way more user friendly.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like if the ISP modem and router is crashing, iId have the ISP get you something different or have them attempt to bridge there stuff if at all possible. Seems like there stuff is not stable for unknown reasons. 

Try the Orbi in AP mode as well:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7