Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi RBK853 + 2 Satellites:- Devices rarely connect to nearest satellite and keep dropping

MarkyMarkUK
Initiate

Netgear Orbi RBK853 + 2 Satellites:- Devices rarely connect to nearest satellite and keep dropping

Hi

I have the Netgear Orbi RBK853 / RBR850 with 2 satellites. My house is an average 4 bed 2 (upstairs & downstairs) detached so you can estimate size. All units are on latest firmware V3.2.18.1_1.4.14. I haven’t changed any default settings in the Web Admin app other than turning off Guest Network. All satellites report good signal.

Problem:

• My Oculus Quest does not connect to the satellite that is 3 feet away, it insists on connecting to the downstairs router, so the signal is week. Occasionally it will connect to the nearest satellite (in same room) on full strength but will then weirdly, disconnect (killing my game) and re-connect.
  • I’ve noticed (like the above) that most of the time, all my devices (2.4 & 5) are mostly connected to the router downstairs and not on any of the two satellites. Occasionally they will connect to the nearest satellite, but then disconnect and re-connect again downstairs on the router!...on a weaker signal!!

I’ve reset up the network and satellites but still the same.

Seems my satellites, don’t hold connections very long, or,

the Orbi system seems to favour connecting to a distant router on a weaker signal over and above connecting to a close-by Satellite on a stronger strength?

Can anyone help please?

PS. I used to have a competitor mesh system (not wifi6 though) that was in the same positions and everything was rock solid. I’ve upgraded to this wifi6 mesh solution to aid PC streaming to my Oculus Quest 2 but this problem is boycotting that.

PPS. Don’t blame the Oculus device and problem 2 suggests it’s not because all my devices seem to be suffering the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
MarkyMarkUK
Initiate

Re: Netgear Orbi RBK853 + 2 Satellites:- Devices rarely connect to nearest satellite and keep droppi

SOLVED

Just thought I'd come back here and say that I resolved the problem.

Just after FURRYe38 answered I thought I'd try something out before I went down the route of the suggestions and replying with all the details. I rebooted the Office satellite (next to the Quest 2), then I reset it too (with the button on the back). Then I switched it off, removed it from the network, rebooted the whole network (so there was only the Router and one satellite), then I went through the Adding a new satellite to the network option in the app. when done, BANG! Everything started acting as I thought it should do eg. devices starting connecting to the nearest satellite (both in the Gym and the Office and all connecting on the Router) and only the few devices near the Router, connected to it.

It's been like it for four days now, all devices connecting to the nearest satellite as expected, yipee!

Now the whole Orbi MESH system is awesome for me.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi RBK853 + 2 Satellites:- Devices rarely connect to nearest satellite and keep droppi

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

It's up to devices to pick and chose where they connect too. Not Orbi.
Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor. Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 4
MarkyMarkUK
Initiate

SOLVED

Just thought I'd come back here and say that I resolved the problem.

Just after FURRYe38 answered I thought I'd try something out before I went down the route of the suggestions and replying with all the details. I rebooted the Office satellite (next to the Quest 2), then I reset it too (with the button on the back). Then I switched it off, removed it from the network, rebooted the whole network (so there was only the Router and one satellite), then I went through the Adding a new satellite to the network option in the app. when done, BANG! Everything started acting as I thought it should do eg. devices starting connecting to the nearest satellite (both in the Gym and the Office and all connecting on the Router) and only the few devices near the Router, connected to it.

It's been like it for four days now, all devices connecting to the nearest satellite as expected, yipee!

Now the whole Orbi MESH system is awesome for me.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Great to hear. Glad you got it working. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7