Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear RBS850 still keeps going magenta

David9
Aspirant

Netgear RBS850 still keeps going magenta

So I reported this previously (but hell if I can find the previous posting). I have an RBS850 orbi solution with one satellite. It is over a year old (so has hardware support but bugger anything else) and it is still periodically going magenta. 

Now the home internet is stable. there are NO issues there because I can continue to use it but the wifi via the router becomes unpredictable. It appears to work but can appear slow.

In short it seems there is a conflict somewhere. I am running it in AP mode because I was advised by Netgear support (when I had it) to do so.

Any thoughts?

btw I've tried resetting everything multiple times. Sometimes it will go for weeks without issue and then others it will recur several times over as many days.

...and no it is not a device issue. Don't even!

thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear RBS850 still keeps going magenta

In AP mode, the router is getting its wan/ip info from the primary router its connected to. The magenta is indicating there's an issue with that. 

What do the LEDs on my Orbi router and satellite mean? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Maybe you're lease time is expiring on the router that's acting as primary. Maybe go into it and set it with a static IP address. 

Now you put the RBS is going magenta. Just the satellite or the router too?

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

@David9 wrote:

So I reported this previously (but hell if I can find the previous posting). I have an RBS850 orbi solution with one satellite. It is over a year old (so has hardware support but bugger anything else) and it is still periodically going magenta. 

Now the home internet is stable. there are NO issues there because I can continue to use it but the wifi via the router becomes unpredictable. It appears to work but can appear slow.

In short it seems there is a conflict somewhere. I am running it in AP mode because I was advised by Netgear support (when I had it) to do so.

Any thoughts?

btw I've tried resetting everything multiple times. Sometimes it will go for weeks without issue and then others it will recur several times over as many days.

...and no it is not a device issue. Don't even!

thoughts?

Message 3 of 11
David9
Aspirant

Thank you. I have already set the IP address of the Orbi router to be static and it still occurs. It is the router that is going magenta.

Message 4 of 11
David9
Aspirant

Firmware on the orbi is V4.6.14.3_2.3.12, which is apparently the latest release.

The service provider (TPG here in Australia) is a HUAWEI Home Gateway HG659 for Fibre to the Premises (FTTP).

The cable is the provided cable with the orbi router.

Yes I have powered off both the provider modem, the orbi router and the satellite as that is the only way to resolve the issue. It then can operate for a day, some days or even weeks without recurring....but it does and will still recur.

Message 5 of 11
David9
Aspirant

To add a little more. It has now happened again at least 3 times today. What I have noted is that the wired seems to be working but can be a little flaky. Mostly it seems to be DNS related.

I've also noted that the netgear itself seems to flick between "waiting" and "not connected" all throughout things are working but not quite working properly. there is slowness and errors when trying to get to things. most things work....

I'm about to reboot everything for the fourth time today. Hopefully it settles after that.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If the internet keeps going down on the RBR then the RBR is only reporting that it can't get connected or not getting anything from your ISP gateway. You'll need to have the ISP check this gateway for good operation and signal up to it. 

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
Try option #2 first...
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

Message 7 of 11
David9
Aspirant

So i've said this a few times now. The internet from my PC cabled directly to the ISP modem does not experience any issues during the time that the Orbi router is experiencing the issue. It is also worth noting that the wifi via the orbi does still intermittently work.

I've worked with double NAT in the past and that is not a workable solution. I also need to reiterate that based on Netgear support advice the Orbi solution is NOT running in router mode but is already in access point (AP) mode and not routing.

So option 3 is already the configuration I am running.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Message 9 of 11
David9
Aspirant

At this point I have not currently changed the configuration. It is currently stable but as I said it may recur within hours, days or possibly weeks. I am following up with the provider at this stage.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements