Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New PC not recognizing 5G - only connecting at 2.4GHz on RBR50

QM1
Aspirant
Aspirant

New PC not recognizing 5G - only connecting at 2.4GHz on RBR50

Hi,

A new PC doesn't detect 5G and only connects at 2.4GHz. All other devices around it connect at 5G and there's nothing wrong with the PC (and it's capable of 5G). Is there a problem on the Orbi settings? on the PC?

Thank you!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
QM1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: New PC not recognizing 5G - only connecting at 2.4GHz on RBR50

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. Mystery solved. Someone in this thread mentioned the position of the antena inside the tower, and that seems to be the cause - thank you!

I moved the satellite (RBW30) litteraly about 5ft to a different wall plug. Now at a different angle from the tower (which sits on the floor under an open metal desk), it started connecting at 5G and high speed.

What's strange is that laptops and smart phones on top of the same desk (same room) connected well and the desktop didn't in spite of displayng full bars/signal wifi strength. I would think that moving the satellite 5 ft in this situation wouldn't matter, but I was wrong.

I guess the location under the desk (not unusual for a tower) or the metal top was interfering with the antena in quality, but not on signal strength.

Thank you all, your comments are all much appreciated!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AC and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "Orbi AX" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Thank you.

Message 2 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

@QM1 wrote:

A new PC doesn't detect 5G and only connects at 2.4GHz. All other devices around it connect at 5G and there's nothing wrong with the PC (and it's capable of 5G). Is there a problem on the Orbi settings? on the PC?

You can likely increase Wireless compatibility by going to orbilogin.com / Advanced tab / Advanced on left / Wireless Settings, and set CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 for both bands.  If that doesn't work try Advanced / Setup / Wireless Setup, and uncheck AX mode for 5Ghz.

However, it's unfortunate to disable AX mode on your fancy new AX router.  Since it's only the one PC that has a problem that seems to point to the PC wireless adapter.  There may be settings on the PC side to try instead.  Try updating with the drivers for your wireless adapter hardware.  Are you running Windows or MacOS, what is the make and model of your wireless adapter?  There may be some option you can change in the driver that will improve compatibility with AX mode.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model of this PC? 

What is the brand and model of the wifi adapter in the PC? 

Be sure the wifi drivers are up to date for the wifi adatper...

@QM1 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you!

Message 4 of 11
QM1
Aspirant
Aspirant

The CTS/RTS Threshold is already set at 2347 for both bands. Maybe I'm exceeding the capacity of connected devices for this router? I have 3 at 2.4GHz and 7 connecting at 5G.

All drivers are up to date and per HP, all is good with the PC and it's network card. Seems like a router issue.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

" I have 3 at 2.4GHz and 7 connecting at 5G." If you have 7 connecting at 5G and these are connecting and your 1 HP isn't, probably a wifi adapter issue on this PC....

Message 6 of 11
QM1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, I agree that makes sense. But HP even took the PC for repair and the problem persists, they don’t know what’s going on.

The PC is about 10 ft from the satellite, full bars/signal on wifi but connecting slowly while my smartphone next to it is connecting 5G full speed at the same location.

HO Pavilion with Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter
Any other thoughts? I am at a loss…
Thank you!

Message 7 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

@QM1 wrote:
Thanks, I agree that makes sense. But HP even took the PC for repair and the problem persists, they don’t know what’s going on.

The PC is about 10 ft from the satellite, full bars/signal on wifi but connecting slowly while my smartphone next to it is connecting 5G full speed at the same location.

HO Pavilion with Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter

Try uninstalling/reinstalling the latest realtek driver from the HP website per https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Realtek-RTL8821CE-Adapter-not-showing....  For example, there is a 1.0.0.163 Rev.S driver dated Feb 5, 2021 available here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-all-in-one-pc-24-k0000i/37914257

This article claims that switching to Channel 36 might work: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Realtek-RTL8822BE-cannot-connect-to-5...

Message 8 of 11
techupdate0
Tutor

@QM1 wrote:

Hi,

A new PC doesn't detect 5G and only connects at 2.4GHz. All other devices around it connect at 5G and there's nothing wrong with the PC (and it's capable of 5G). Is there a problem on the Northell Orbi settings? on the PC?

Thank you!

Hi,

Have you checked your network card? is it working fine on your side?

Message 9 of 11
QM1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. Mystery solved. Someone in this thread mentioned the position of the antena inside the tower, and that seems to be the cause - thank you!

I moved the satellite (RBW30) litteraly about 5ft to a different wall plug. Now at a different angle from the tower (which sits on the floor under an open metal desk), it started connecting at 5G and high speed.

What's strange is that laptops and smart phones on top of the same desk (same room) connected well and the desktop didn't in spite of displayng full bars/signal wifi strength. I would think that moving the satellite 5 ft in this situation wouldn't matter, but I was wrong.

I guess the location under the desk (not unusual for a tower) or the metal top was interfering with the antena in quality, but not on signal strength.

Thank you all, your comments are all much appreciated!

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7