Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBK752/753 Firmware Version 4.6.3.7 Released

RayBan_21
Star

Re: New - RBK752/753 Firmware Version 4.6.3.7 Released

Regarding the mentioned speedtest issues: my experience so far is that the drop was the same level on all tests done; wired/wireless/Mac/PC/iOS app/NG dashboard.

Other than that, it seems to me that these FW issues are affecting more users than just myself and hopefully NG will come up with a fix soon!

Message 51 of 525
ddkumar
Star

Just to clairfy, the speed test discrepanices I am seeing are between the Orbi's RBR750 internal speed test, accessed through the NG web GUI or the NG iOS app, and an endpoint speedtest being done directly through Ookla to the cloud.  I do the tests at essentially the same time to eliminate potential differences in congestion issues.  I can run the Orbi internal speed test, which is supposedly Ookla-based, get around 600Mbs max, and then immediately do a speedtest using the actual Ookla app on my iPhone connected to the same Orbi, and get 800+ Mbs.  This is very repeatable. So, my iPhone through the Orbi to the cloud is testing much faster than the Orbi internal test to the cloud, both using Ookla. This was not the case in the previous firmware version, where the Orbi internal speed test showed speeds that were always faster than I could get from an endpoint because my wired network speed is capped at 1Gbs right now.  It seems like at least one other user (Engladian) is seeing the same behavior.

Message 52 of 525
tak1313
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would recommend that using RBW30 over RBS50 would be on area of concern for the 50 series system. Seen many posts of these RBWs not working well for some users. They don't have same specs at the RBS50 which you should really be using with the RBS50. I've not seen any problems with my RBK50 and 1 RBS50 in play. Evenin a 5000sq ft home system works well. Though my RBS are wire connected. 

Furry.  I make the reference as a POSSIBLE cause of the problem, and it's an easy check to see if it's the issue.  Just because it's a PROVEN issue with the 30 and just because YOU did no experience it with your 50s does NOT mean it can't be happening with the AX.

The PROVEN issue with the 30 is a firmware coding issue, that can easily be demonstrated by disabling the ability to connect the backhaul via 2.4ghz.  This PROVES the problem is NOT hardware related, but an issue with how feeble Netgear's coding is.

Vajim is right.  You seem to too easily dismiss possible causes just because YOU haven't experienced an issue.

I don't know how much coding experience you have, but it's universally known that when you change a portion of a script, it can cause unexpected/unintentional problems eslewhere - and that's on top of issues caused directly by intentional changes in the specific routines/subroutines in the script.

If such an issue can occur in the 30 BECAUSE OF FIRMWARE, how do you know such an issue CAN'T happen in another model due to a firmware change?

Message 53 of 525
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Community, 

The downgrade from FW v4.6.3.7 back to 3.2.18.1 is not supported. Therefore you will notice that there isn't an option to click "Yes". May you try performing a factory reset if you are attempting to revert back a firmware version and send me a private message if your issue persists. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 54 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Well thats fine. Believe and what you wish. Your system. I don't dismiss anything. Just stating information and troubleshooting information to help narrow down issues. And yes, it can certainly be a FW issue. Just be cuase I haven't seen it doesn't mean it's a FW or HW issue either. IF the issue is the 30 series then why use them? Again, as others mentioned, there has already been experiiences with the RBWs and users need to seek help and support from NG support if there having problems with this series Orbi, since forums can't do anything else at the FW level to make corrections. 

So lets posts about any Orbi AC problems in the Orbi AC forums and any Orbi AX posts seperate from each other. These are two separate systems and separate issues. I see someone posted about there RBW30:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Problems-with-logging-directly-in-to-RBW30/td-p/2117186/jump-t...

Maybe you can provide and help and information? 

Good Luck and Enjoy. 

@tak1313 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would recommend that using RBW30 over RBS50 would be on area of concern for the 50 series system. Seen many posts of these RBWs not working well for some users. They don't have same specs at the RBS50 which you should really be using with the RBS50. I've not seen any problems with my RBK50 and 1 RBS50 in play. Evenin a 5000sq ft home system works well. Though my RBS are wire connected. 

Furry.  I make the reference as a POSSIBLE cause of the problem, and it's an easy check to see if it's the issue.  Just because it's a PROVEN issue with the 30 and just because YOU did no experience it with your 50s does NOT mean it can't be happening with the AX.

The PROVEN issue with the 30 is a firmware coding issue, that can easily be demonstrated by disabling the ability to connect the backhaul via 2.4ghz.  This PROVES the problem is NOT hardware related, but an issue with how feeble Netgear's coding is.

Vajim is right.  You seem to too easily dismiss possible causes just because YOU haven't experienced an issue.

I don't know how much coding experience you have, but it's universally known that when you change a portion of a script, it can cause unexpected/unintentional problems eslewhere - and that's on top of issues caused directly by intentional changes in the specific routines/subroutines in the script.

If such an issue can occur in the 30 BECAUSE OF FIRMWARE, how do you know such an issue CAN'T happen in another model due to a firmware change?

Message 55 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

@RayBan_21 @Engladian 

Thanks for you feedback. I'll forward this to NG for review. 

@RayBan_21 wrote:

Regarding the mentioned speedtest issues: my experience so far is that the drop was the same level on all tests done; wired/wireless/Mac/PC/iOS app/NG dashboard.

Other than that, it seems to me that these FW issues are affecting more users than just myself and hopefully NG will come up with a fix soon!

Message 56 of 525
tak1313
Luminary

And to believe a firmware affliction from one line of product from the same manufacturer created by the same group of devs cannot happen just because one line is AC and one line is AX is running with blinders on.

As I stated, I was only proposing a POSSIBLE cause that can easily be checked since the affliction with the 30 is being caused by the firmware, developed by the same company, in a similar line of product.

To restrict conversation to comments ONLY to AX without looking at the history of the AC products that preceded it is faulty and narrow minded.

At first I supported a lot of your hash with @vajim, but my view of your moderation has changed over the last few weeks, and feel many of his gripes are true.

Message 57 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

No worries man. No hard feelings. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 58 of 525
RayBan_21
Star

Don't know if this makes any sense, but just struck me that after the new FW upgrade my speedtest are more in the area of what my previous Google Wifi was showing (on D/L (approx. 560 Mbps) speed testing, U/L (approx. 940 Mbps) is same on the RBR750 as before the upgrade)

I'm far from an expert on this area - thought it could be useful input?

Also, I noticed that the devices connected (especially on 2.4Ghz) are more like to lose connection than before.

Message 59 of 525
ddkumar
Star

I have an update on the early horrific speed loss issue I had with the new firmware....

When I first installed firmware v4.6, Wifi speeds dropped to about 20Mbs compared to my stable v3.2.18 configuration which was running 400Mbs-800Mbs Wifi speeds, depending on distance.  Doing a factory reset "fixed" the problem, but of course I lost all my settings.  I restored my old settings one by one and speed tested after each configuration change.  For some reason that I don't recall now, I had WMM turned off in my v.3.2.18 configuration.  When I turned WMM off using v4.6 firmware, the Wifi throughput completely tanked, back to the 20Mbs.  Turning WMM back on restored the full speed.  So, fair warning to any v.3.2.18 users with WMM turned off.

Note this is unrelated to the significantly slower Orbi internal Ookla speed test test results I am still getting.

Message 60 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since this update was applied? 

@RayBan_21 wrote:

Don't know if this makes any sense, but just struck me that after the new FW upgrade my speedtest are more in the area of what my previous Google Wifi was showing (on D/L (approx. 560 Mbps) speed testing, U/L (approx. 940 Mbps) is same on the RBR750 as before the upgrade)

I'm far from an expert on this area - thought it could be useful input?

Also, I noticed that the devices connected (especially on 2.4Ghz) are more like to lose connection than before.

Message 61 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for the details and added info. Glad that enabling WMM helped as well. I believe WMM is enabled by default, or at least should be. In most cases WMM should always be enabled. Will keep this on troubleshooting radar for others that see this as well. 

Passed on the internal speed test problem seen to NG as well. Hopefully they will fix that up in next update. 

@ddkumar wrote:

I have an update on the early horrific speed loss issue I had with the new firmware....

When I first installed firmware v4.6, Wifi speeds dropped to about 20Mbs compared to my stable v3.2.18 configuration which was running 400Mbs-800Mbs Wifi speeds, depending on distance.  Doing a factory reset "fixed" the problem, but of course I lost all my settings.  I restored my old settings one by one and speed tested after each configuration change.  For some reason that I don't recall now, I had WMM turned off in my v.3.2.18 configuration.  When I turned WMM off using v4.6 firmware, the Wifi throughput completely tanked, back to the 20Mbs.  Turning WMM back on restored the full speed.  So, fair warning to any v.3.2.18 users with WMM turned off.

Note this is unrelated to the significantly slower Orbi internal Ookla speed test test results I am still getting.

Message 62 of 525
RayBan_21
Star

@FURRYe38 Yes - a complete factory reset has been done (yet again) on both router and satellites, with power off each time (also on the modem). The network provider has also done some tests from their end and cannot find any issues. I believe the issues are definitely connected to the new FW and urge NG to provide a new update so I can either downgrade or they have a fix in a new version. The weird thing is that it only affects download speed - not upload speed. In addition (maybe it's just how my gear works), NG also tend to push a lot of my gear over to 2.4Ghz and keep my gear there. Quite frustrating, so much I actually consider returning my Orbis and go for another manufacturer...

Message 63 of 525
RayBan_21
Star

@Christian_R I've sent you a private message, but haven't heard back from you.

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello Community, 

The downgrade from FW v4.6.3.7 back to 3.2.18.1 is not supported. Therefore you will notice that there isn't an option to click "Yes". May you try performing a factory reset if you are attempting to revert back a firmware version and send me a private message if your issue persists. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 64 of 525
Niko78
Apprentice

Hello,

I have the same issue after upgrading my RBK752 system from 3.2.18.1 to 4.6.3.7

Since the upgrade the internal Orbi App Ookla test is about 630Mbps compared to 930Mbps before the upgrade.

Wifi connection is the same, I am not able to have more than 630Mbs compared to about 800Mbps before.

I tried reseting both devices, doing many reboot... without any success.

So I downgraded the satellite RBS750 to 3.2.18.1 but was not able to downgrade the RBR750  because the button YES is not available to launch the downgrade.

I then discovered something interesting.

When connecting my iPhone to the satellite in 3.2.18.1 I was able to reach about 800Mbps whereas when I do the same test with my iphone connected to the RBR750 in 4.6.3.7 I am just able to reach 630Mbps.

I then tried to disable WMM for 2,4 and 5 Ghz and had very bad througput of only 20Mpbs when connected to RBR750.

I then reenabled WMM and now I can reach again 800Mbps when connected to the RBR750 in version 4.6.3.7 from my iphone !!!!! (using Ookla App on my iphone).

It could be interesting if for other people having the same issue it is OK after deactivating/reactivating WMM.

However the Orbi internal Ookla tool is still only reaching 630Mps !!

It seems that there is some bugs on this new version.

Message 65 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes it's a known issue with the internal speed test. 

@Niko78 wrote:

Hello,

I have the same issue after upgrading my RBK752 system from 3.2.18.1 to 4.6.3.7

Since the upgrade the internal Orbi App Ookla test is about 630Mbps compared to 930Mbps before the upgrade.

Wifi connection is the same, I am not able to have more than 630Mbs compared to about 800Mbps before.

I tried reseting both devices, doing many reboot... without any success.

So I downgraded the satellite RBS750 to 3.2.18.1 but was not able to downgrade the RBR750  because the button YES is not available to launch the downgrade.

I then discovered something interesting.

When connecting my iPhone to the satellite in 3.2.18.1 I was able to reach about 800Mbps whereas when I do the same test with my iphone connected to the RBR750 in 4.6.3.7 I am just able to reach 630Mbps.

I then tried to disable WMM for 2,4 and 5 Ghz and had very bad througput of only 20Mpbs when connected to RBR750.

I then reenabled WMM and now I can reach again 800Mbps when connected to the RBR750 in version 4.6.3.7 from my iphone !!!!! (using Ookla App on my iphone).

It could be interesting if for other people having the same issue it is OK after deactivating/reactivating WMM.

However the Orbi internal Ookla tool is still only reaching 630Mps !!

It seems that there is some bugs on this new version.

Message 66 of 525
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Niko78

Please check your inbox. I have sent you a message requesting for more information. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 67 of 525
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

I watch these threads and therefore I am a laggard when it comes to updating. Currently,not experiencing connectivity or performance issues so I avoid the arrowsinthe butt and wait.

BTW, does anyone really have performance functionality issues when reported D/L drops by  2-300mbps? I can only get 100 MBs service here and can run 2 4K video streams and a couple of audio streams while my Linux server is backing up 150g to a local Linux server. 

The Orbi is outperforming the Nighthawk it replaced.

Message 68 of 525
ddkumar
Star

The reality is the internal speed test error is going to make a lot of people think the update is broken when only the speed test itself is broken.  Because wireless speeds vary so much and are often significantly lower than router/modem capabiity and wired speeds are often limited by 1 Gigabit Ethernet hardware, people like me use the internal speed test to make sure I am getting the Gigabit throughput that I am paying Xfinity for.  1200+Mbs is available to a significant number of Xfinity customers if you have a LAG-capable cable modem.  I routinely speed test to 1350+ Mbs (Xfinity provisions 1200Mbs service at 1400Mbs).  When you have to update dozens of devices every time Apple pushes a SW release, you really do notice the difference.  Right now, the internal speed test doesn't get much past 600+Mbs.  Like others on this forum, that result sent me down a rabbit hole chasing a problem that really didn't exist at the endpoints, which is where the speed counts. 

Message 69 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

User will need to verify speeds using external speed test apps like Ooklas installable speed test app to verify there speeds are good. Most have already mentioned this and that the internal speed test app differs. As long as the external apps show to spec speeds, you'll be ok. 

Message 70 of 525
Gatorade2000
Apprentice

Had the same issue. Manual upgrade and speed dropped to 600s from 900s. Couldn't downgrade router because there isnt the fking YES button. Returned the device to costco(bought for 500$ in sept 2020), bought a new one(for $399) and set it up. speeds are back. Good thing the router doesnt update to 4.6 automatically.
Message 71 of 525
Niko78
Apprentice

My sateliite RBS750 upgraded automatically to v4.6.3.7 30 during the night I think ...

Message 72 of 525
Ragar99
Luminary

@Niko78 wrote:

My sateliite RBS750 upgraded automatically to v4.6.3.7 30 during the night I think ...

It did or it didn't! 

Mine still show "No New Firmware Available".  TG!

Message 73 of 525
Niko78
Apprentice

@Ragar99 

Yesterday evening my RBS750 satellite was sill in v3.2.18.1 whereas my RBR750 was in 4.6.3.7 because I was not able to downgrade it.

Message 74 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

It's recommended to power OFF the RBR and RBS for 30 seconds then back on. 

@Niko78 wrote:

Message 75 of 525
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7