Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

All have been connected by CAT5E (how the house was wired when I bought it). CAT5e has a maximum range of 328 feet. It's not even close to being that far apart.

After a few more reboots, things appear to be working again. Consistent wireless connectivity. Oh the sweet bliss of notifications from all the devices saying they've lost connection. This is the last time I do a firmware as soon as it's offered. haha.

Thank you for your assistance. Still odd that a modem reboot fixes the Orbi's ability to hand out IP addresses to clients. You live and your learn I guess.

Message 26 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

So I wasn't refering to the CAT cable distance, rather the RBS distance from the RBR. What is the distance between the RBR and RBS while ethernet connected? 

What channels are you using? 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 27 of 526
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ant wrote:

Got the updates. We'll see how they are. I hope it fixes my unstable guest wifi connections.

Nope. Still there. I finally resetted my router back to default factory and reconfigured. We'll see how this goes!

Message 28 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 29 of 526
DataWrangler
Initiate

Instead of laying back I decided to be a guinie pig on this one.

I manualy triggered the auto firmware update. Everything went well. No problems with DHCP. All settings came over from last version. Have not restarted anything yet.

My main problem with Orbi was intermittent (2-3 times a day) drops at the WAN interface with the modem. No other problems with "satellite LED continuously switches between white, blue, and off state". Time will tell if it's all fixed.

Best of luck to all.

Message 30 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

When you can I would do a full power OFF of the System for 1 minute then back on. 

Should be good to go. 

Be sure to save off a new back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@DataWrangler wrote:

Instead of laying back I decided to be a guinie pig on this one.

I manualy triggered the auto firmware update. Everything went well. No problems with DHCP. All settings came over from last version. Have not restarted anything yet.

My main problem with Orbi was intermittent (2-3 times a day) drops at the WAN interface with the modem. No other problems with "satellite LED continuously switches between white, blue, and off state". Time will tell if it's all fixed.

Best of luck to all.

Message 31 of 526
larryindublin
Luminary

So I've been one of those RBK753 users who have NOT had extensive problems with the 4.x series of firmware. Have had an occasional "hey, something rebooted" issue but has not yet impacted my WFH with constant Teams calls with Video. Streaming for the family has been fine, even on multiple sets and devices. So I decided to do a mid-day upgrade. No power down or anything. Just allowed the GUI interface to upload the latest and reboot. So far (30 minutes) all devices have reconnected and seeing full speed on 2 laptops I have tested. Time will tell...

Message 32 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl Keep us posted. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@larryindublin wrote:

So I've been one of those RBK753 users who have NOT had extensive problems with the 4.x series of firmware. Have had an occasional "hey, something rebooted" issue but has not yet impacted my WFH with constant Teams calls with Video. Streaming for the family has been fine, even on multiple sets and devices. So I decided to do a mid-day upgrade. No power down or anything. Just allowed the GUI interface to upload the latest and reboot. So far (30 minutes) all devices have reconnected and seeing full speed on 2 laptops I have tested. Time will tell...

Message 33 of 526
Mr410
Star

That is great news. I received the update on both router and satellite. I’m so bold that I updated the satellite via the app while at the beach, firmware installed, satellite rebooted. Network is up, devices are connected. No issues. Speed test looks fast, no complaints.
Message 34 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

@Mr410 wrote:
That is great news. I received the update on both router and satellite. I’m so bold that I updated the satellite via the app while at the beach, firmware installed, satellite rebooted. Network is up, devices are connected. No issues. Speed test looks fast, no complaints.

Message 35 of 526
bensanford
Guide

I also just updated the firmware using the admin access to 192.168.1.1,  Update went smoothly, and now both Main and Satellites are on the latest version.  My reserved IP addresses carried through with the update, and so far everything looks good.  I wasn't having any issues prior to the update, but only after I reserved IP addresses for everything on the network and turned off the guest network.  I'm not sure I will even mess with the guest network since that seemed to be a source of problems previously...

Message 36 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear.

Message 37 of 526
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

Hey everyone, if you didn't already know this, Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

Message 38 of 526
Toughguy5
Guide

how did you do this ? please do tell.  thank you.

Message 39 of 526
zathus
Aspirant

Downloaded the update today. broke Port fowarding. kind of a massive bid deal. $800 for wifi routers that do less then a $20 wallmart special. such a joke. if i could get my money back on these I would do it in a heartbeat! 

Get this message...

The specified port(s) are being used by other configurations. Please check your configurations of Remote Management, Port forwarding, Port Triggering, UPnP Port Mapping table, RIP, and Internet connection type

The people that test this software should all be fired! this happens so often.

Message 40 of 526
jayeshm
Apprentice

In b4 furry tells you to reset your entire network.

Jokes apart looks like we got another dud firmware
Message 41 of 526
larryindublin
Luminary

One person says port forwarding is broken and you decide it's another dud firmware?
Message 42 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

I have one port forward set up and did not break now or before.
Need to ad like another user my issue with the firmware and the update beta were small and few ad far between. Had a issue dropping and after 3 reboots and a turn of totally for like 5 min came all back and on for another 2 to 3 weeks

But
New firmware all my devices in house connect much quicker than ever, speeds are better than ever and better balance of devices over whole network.
Did do full shut down for a few min back up and update and no change still performing great.
Message 43 of 526
Thalador
Apprentice

Has anyone restored settings from a prior firmware version with this 4.6.5.14? I am on 3.2.10.10 as to disallow auto updates and would be nice to be able to bring back all my settings from 3.2.18.1 version.

Message 44 of 526

Internet outages yet again on my devices. Why do I trust these updates... I'll go through the usual - reboot my house to fix netgear firmware updates.
Message 45 of 526
Toughguy5
Guide

WOW, this morning about 2am i decided to update my two ORBI RBS satillites first. and that went ok, till a fantom ORBI showed up in my Orbi App. i then proceeded to update the RBR750, that went well till it said it was online but it wasnt. i followed the directions according to Furrye38, (ty) and i unplugged the sats and then the router, waited 2-3 minutes then i plugged in the router and then the sats and waited........it took a few minutes and the router came online then the sats followed. it still took some time for all my devices to get back on line (about 60), which is normal thing that has been happening. then today was the test. we had some heavy thunderstorms roll in, these south florida storms alway knock out some power or damages some weak transformers to were the power goes on and off real quick. it happened 3 times in a half hour i also have the comcast modem and the RBR750 plugged into a surge and battery back up. the weakest like here is the sats, no battery-back up for them and they used to take forever to re-sync but after the upgraded firmware last night, WOW, the ORBI's came right back online which shocked me, i thought i would need to reboot the sats. but no input from me and the whole system came back online quick. i am no IT guy here but this is a major inprovement from the previous firmware that almost killed the ORBI system. thanks to all here on this forum, i have learned alot from here.

Message 46 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Glad your system is working better now. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.

Enjloy. 

@Toughguy5 wrote:

WOW, this morning about 2am i decided to update my two ORBI RBS satillites first. and that went ok, till a fantom ORBI showed up in my Orbi App. i then proceeded to update the RBR750, that went well till it said it was online but it wasnt. i followed the directions according to Furrye38, (ty) and i unplugged the sats and then the router, waited 2-3 minutes then i plugged in the router and then the sats and waited........it took a few minutes and the router came online then the sats followed. it still took some time for all my devices to get back on line (about 60), which is normal thing that has been happening. then today was the test. we had some heavy thunderstorms roll in, these south florida storms alway knock out some power or damages some weak transformers to were the power goes on and off real quick. it happened 3 times in a half hour i also have the comcast modem and the RBR750 plugged into a surge and battery back up. the weakest like here is the sats, no battery-back up for them and they used to take forever to re-sync but after the upgraded firmware last night, WOW, the ORBI's came right back online which shocked me, i thought i would need to reboot the sats. but no input from me and the whole system came back online quick. i am no IT guy here but this is a major inprovement from the previous firmware that almost killed the ORBI system. thanks to all here on this forum, i have learned alot from here.

Message 47 of 526
Talk2Mike
Apprentice

I updated my RBK753 system (router plus two satellites) a few days ago and have not had any issues. I used the web interface on my iMac to update all the devices. Everything seems to be working fine, including a gaming PC connected via LAN to one of the satellites and multiple iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks, as well as smart speakers, TVs, Hi-Fi, thermostat, security camera, etc.

Message 48 of 526
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

@orbiuser1975 wrote:

First, glad to see that NG is trying to resolve these issues, albeit with little transparency. Although the number of firmware updates in so little time is fairly telling...  I have to chuckle at calling out "Fixes issue where the satelltie LED continuously ...", surely this wasn't the title of the bug being tracked internally, was the fix to just disable the LED, LOL?  This came at a good time, when everybody needs it, and on the weekend when we all can kick the family off the WiFi, maybe... I'll be testing this out ASAP, even if it means wasting another Saturday...

Initial (working) setup with v3 in router mode:

FiOS -> RBR750 -> unmanaged switch -> RBS750

Current setup with v4.6.5.14 in AP mode:

FiOS -> pfSense -> RBR750 -> unmanaged switch -> RBS750

Since this mess started, I was forced to change my primary router (RBR750) to something else (pfSense). Per this, I'm now operating in AP mode, so my findings are for AP mode only.

After initial upgrade and with the RBS750 in the same room (optimal) about 25 ft away, the backhaul connection reported as 5 GHz initially and then randomly changed to 2.4 GHz. I then moved the satellite to other side of the house (original location) and the the backhaul connection reports 2.4 GHz, appears to be working (need more time), but the LED will still randomly go through cycles of blinking white and ending on amber all while the web interface reports that the connection is "Good" @ 2.4 GHz.

I then tried to go back to the original "wired" backhaul, and the satellite is no longer seen by the router. The satellite is on the network as I can reach its admin page showing the following.

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 10.25.38 AM.png

It appears that some things have been fixed, but allowing a backhaul connection through an unmanaged switch is certainly still broken. The LED cycling on the sattelite is still occuring, but the connection seems to work during these cycles. There is a new annoying issue, the connection to the RBR750 admin page times out, requiring frequent logins. 

Message 49 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

How was your system updated? 

Did you power OFF the RBR and RBS for 5 minutes then back ON after v14 was applied. 

Does the RBS appear connected to the RBR while ethernet  connected to the back the RBR with out the unmanaged swtich? 

What was the brand and model# of this 'unmanaged' switch again?

Id do a full factory reset on the RBR and RBS if nothing else resolves this...

@orbiuser1975 wrote:

@orbiuser1975 wrote:

First, glad to see that NG is trying to resolve these issues, albeit with little transparency. Although the number of firmware updates in so little time is fairly telling...  I have to chuckle at calling out "Fixes issue where the satelltie LED continuously ...", surely this wasn't the title of the bug being tracked internally, was the fix to just disable the LED, LOL?  This came at a good time, when everybody needs it, and on the weekend when we all can kick the family off the WiFi, maybe... I'll be testing this out ASAP, even if it means wasting another Saturday...

Initial (working) setup with v3 in router mode:

FiOS -> RBR750 -> unmanaged switch -> RBS750

Current setup with v4.6.5.14 in AP mode:

FiOS -> pfSense -> RBR750 -> unmanaged switch -> RBS750

Since this mess started, I was forced to change my primary router (RBR750) to something else (pfSense). Per this, I'm now operating in AP mode, so my findings are for AP mode only.

After initial upgrade and with the RBS750 in the same room (optimal) about 25 ft away, the backhaul connection reported as 5 GHz initially and then randomly changed to 2.4 GHz. I then moved the satellite to other side of the house (original location) and the the backhaul connection reports 2.4 GHz, appears to be working (need more time), but the LED will still randomly go through cycles of blinking white and ending on amber all while the web interface reports that the connection is "Good" @ 2.4 GHz.

I then tried to go back to the original "wired" backhaul, and the satellite is no longer seen by the router. The satellite is on the network as I can reach its admin page showing the following.

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 10.25.38 AM.png

It appears that some things have been fixed, but allowing a backhaul connection through an unmanaged switch is certainly still broken. The LED cycling on the sattelite is still occuring, but the connection seems to work during these cycles. There is a new annoying issue, the connection to the RBR750 admin page times out, requiring frequent logins. 

Message 50 of 526
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7