Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

If you turn OFF the RBS, does the RBR by itself see this problem? 

@Theobuck wrote:
So, the reboot of the ONT & Router + Satellites for ten minutes didn't help. The devices show up till the next morning, then nothing. My connection seems good for WiFi and connected devices with no speed drops, just the odd status of the network. It seems important to know what is connected and what isn't. 😕
Anyway called Gearhead support again, they reflashed the router, and the agent talked to the engineering team. From what I understand, I am not the only one who reported this issue, and in a week or so, he said there would be a new release (patch) for the new FW version. 🤞

Message 101 of 184
Theobuck
Apprentice

I don’t know. I could try it out when I get a chance.
Message 102 of 184
d700
Apprentice

After period of stability, random router reboots have returned. I’ve upgraded manually to this latest firmware and have had one reboot in 3 days. I’ve got router and hardwired switches on the same ups with battery backup, so I know it’s not power. Everything else works great. 

Message 103 of 184
d700
Apprentice

Maybe Netgear should offer a stripped down firmware, remove the nanny and security subscription stuff. Would simplify the build and test.  NG will never get my money for those anyway, it’s bloatware. 

Message 104 of 184
bdsmith63
Apprentice

Not a bad idea, so my Netgear Bitdefender subscription will renew in early May.  Do you think it’s not worth renewing?  Occasionally, I get alerts that my router blocked a phishing attempt, etc., and seems to make me feel secure on my network.

Message 105 of 184
Theobuck
Apprentice

If we were using The Orbi system for playing games or social media, it wouldn’t be a big issue. But this essential for our job !! We both work from home. Poorly tested updates are a hindrance on our bottom line.
Message 106 of 184
MNChuck
Tutor

Is there a way to do the full factory reset using a saved file of my current set up, or do I need to start over as when the system was just purchased?   And to start the process, do I push the reset on the router and both satellites?  I dread doing a complete setup as when new as that took a number of tries and calls to Netgear, and calls to Netgear are not an option now.

I read in another message in this string that someone heard from Netgear that there may be a patch for this software version soon, so I may just wait for that and then give it some time to see if the system is more stable.

I echo the comments of many others on this and other message strings on this community site regarding how frustrating it is to be having such severe and prolonged issues with a very expensive system from what used to be a brand that could be trusted.  It is especially frustrating that Netgear doesn't provide free technical support for longer than the initial 90 day purchase period - that is really meager for this type of product and is such a poor contrast to a great consumer brand like Apple.

I do really appreciate, however, the time and efforts of the advisors on this site who are providing support!  We would be completely lost without that resource and help!

Message 107 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can factory reset and use a back config from file. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@MNChuck wrote:

Is there a way to do the full factory reset using a saved file of my current set up, or do I need to start over as when the system was just purchased?   And to start the process, do I push the reset on the router and both satellites?  I dread doing a complete setup as when new as that took a number of tries and calls to Netgear, and calls to Netgear are not an option now.

I read in another message in this string that someone heard from Netgear that there may be a patch for this software version soon, so I may just wait for that and then give it some time to see if the system is more stable.

I echo the comments of many others on this and other message strings on this community site regarding how frustrating it is to be having such severe and prolonged issues with a very expensive system from what used to be a brand that could be trusted.  It is especially frustrating that Netgear doesn't provide free technical support for longer than the initial 90 day purchase period - that is really meager for this type of product and is such a poor contrast to a great consumer brand like Apple.

I do really appreciate, however, the time and efforts of the advisors on this site who are providing support!  We would be completely lost without that resource and help!

Message 108 of 184
MNChuck
Tutor

I did end up doing a factory reset of the router and both satellites, and set the system back up from scratch using the orbilogin website on a pc connected to the router via ethernet cable.  That all went smoothly, and so far the system is stable.   Interestingly, my wifi connected devices seem to be working much better with no freezing of web pages, etc.

The only issue now is that the Orbi app on my phone does not recognize the system as being set up and is trying to get me to set it all up again.  Is there a way to get the Orbi app to see the system as set up?

Message 109 of 184
FarmerBob1
Luminary

Unfortunately, that is the only surefire way to make sure that things/memory/stuck stuff get cleared out and the new be really be new. 10/10 times if you use a backup, which I admit to doing, you could bring back over problematic things that developed that is putting you in this place. And a Power Cycle of each device after wouldn't hurt either. Start with unplugging the Orbi, then Sat 1, then Sat 2 and so on. Then Plug the RBR back in and let it come back up all the way. The Sat 1, then Sat 2, rinse and repeat.

Having to reinput the settings is a pain, I use to use PDFs of each page that needed changes to follow. Now I have done this so many times I have memorized many of the settings.

As far as the Orbi App, it should show you a selection saying that you want to do it manually. That should take you out of that App wanting to it. I have to use PPPoE login with a Tagged 201 VLAN that the app doesn't support. So I always have to do it manually. If it still acts up, I'd uninstall it, then reinstall. Yes, I too hate the way this sometimes doesn't mesh when trying to set thing up when you're in a bad mood as it is . . . .

@MNChuck wrote:

I did end up doing a factory reset of the router and both satellites, and set the system back up from scratch using the orbilogin website on a pc connected to the router via ethernet cable.  That all went smoothly, and so far the system is stable.   Interestingly, my wifi connected devices seem to be working much better with no freezing of web pages, etc.

The only issue now is that the Orbi app on my phone does not recognize the system as being set up and is trying to get me to set it all up again.  Is there a way to get the Orbi app to see the system as set up?

Message 110 of 184
Timothy88
Luminary

After the last update I am having issues with devices connected to the Satellite dropping offline, in particular my thermostat. If I shut the satellite off and the thermostat jumps over to the router it immediately comes back on line and I can see it via its app or the web page. I performed a factory reset and am hoping this resolves the issue.  So far the thermostat is staying connected to the router instead of the satellite. I'd have to try 'forcing' it to the satellite to test whether the factory reset helped. 

Message 111 of 184
shwrscw
Aspirant

What do you do if you updated the router first and not the satellite?

Message 112 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

There seems to be a odd issue with Orbi app. We've passed this on to NG for review.

@MNChuck wrote:

Message 113 of 184
Dalmy
Guide

The algorithms behind the "assignment" of individual devices to a satellite or the router is a continuing mystery because it seems a) unpredictable and b) dynamic/changeable. Superficially, common sense does not always reign here, in that a device close to a satellite will connect to the router, or will connect to the close-by satellite and then later jump to the router, or vice versa, sometimes permanently and sometimes not. It is entertaining!

My experience is that the firmware's bias is toward the router so as to sidestep the satellite's middleman function when desirable, which does make some sense. The only solution I've so far found to "correct the assignments" is to reduce the transmit power of the router (in my case to 50 percent, doable only through the desktop interface) so that the satellites are more likely to reliably latch on to their nearby devices. I note this "reduced router power bias balancing strategy" as the assignment of individual devices to routers vs. satellites seems to be a pain point for some Orbi owners. I suspect that most don't care what connects where as long as the in-use performance of the connected device meets expectations. Please correct me if you have a better interpretation and good luck to all.   

Message 114 of 184
Timothy88
Luminary

My issue does't really lie with whether the device connects to the satellite or the router.  My issue is why when its connected to the satellite does it go offline and immediately come back to life when the satellite is removed from the picture and it jumps over to the router.  My satellite is about 30 or so feet from the router however the thermostat is pretty much halfway between the router and the satellite.

Message 115 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Saw same thing with NEST controllers couple of years ago. I found that with mine, one NEST controller being 4-5 feet away from the RBR. Would still ping pong back and forth thus causing the NEST to drain it's battery. I found last year that after I moved the RBR to a different location, 25 feet away the NEST stopped ping ponging back and forth. Also reduction in transmit power helps as well. 

What the distance between this one device and the RBR and RBS? 

Message 116 of 184
Timothy88
Luminary

It's probably about the same distance from both, I'd say maybe 12-15 feet.  The thermostat having the problem is on the same floor as the router, the satellite is upstairs. The path may be a little less obstructed to the satellite as it only has to go through the floor and not a wall. I'm not sure how much the signal from the orbi radiates downward? But this issue is new since the most recent firmware.  

Message 117 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

So ya, being about equal distance from the device to the RBR and RBS, seems that it can't make up it's mind on which signal source to lock on. Turn the transmit power and see if this helps. You may need to move the RBS and or RBR around to see if you can get the device to lock on better. 

@Timothy88 wrote:

It's probably about the same distance from both, I'd say maybe 12-15 feet.  The thermostat having the problem is on the same floor as the router, the satellite is upstairs. The path may be a little less obstructed to the satellite as it only has to go through the floor and not a wall. I'm not sure how much the signal from the orbi radiates downward? But this issue is new since the most recent firmware.  

Message 118 of 184
Timothy88
Luminary

I can give it a try.  It's very befuddling how it decides which to use. My wife's office is directly above the router and her laptop would be closest to the router but it chose the satellite which is on the opposite side of the house. 

Message 119 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep. It's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too. 

Message 120 of 184
Timothy88
Luminary

Well I either need to downgrade firmware of just shut the Satellite off.  Reducing power did not help.   As soon as the the thermostat jumped onto the satellite its showing offline in both the web portal and the mobile app.

Message 121 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this the only devices that doesn't connect or connect well to the RBS? 

Do other devices connect to the RBS? 

@Timothy88 wrote:

Well I either need to downgrade firmware of just shut the Satellite off.  Reducing power did not help.   As soon as the the thermostat jumped onto the satellite its showing offline in both the web portal and the mobile app.

Message 122 of 184
Timothy88
Luminary

There are other devices connected to the Satellite but they don't have the visibility that this does.  It would be hard for me to notice if they were dropping off.  I reset the network connection on the thermostat as well just for s&g's. 

Message 123 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

K, kinda thinking this may be a device issue like we saw with the NEST controllers. Seems like the device isn't handling seeing multiple same SSID name signals well...

Message 124 of 184
Timothy88
Luminary

I also have a second thermostat which does not seem to have this issue, it is a different model and in a different location so I'm fairly sure its not a cloud service issue.

I only have two SSID's one for the main network and one for the guest.  How could the satellite have a different SSID than the router. Why when I turn the Satellite off and it switches to the router it works totally fine?

And its coincidence that it worked fine up until the firmware update?  Especially with all of the reports of wifi connectivity issues.  Why are these problems never Netgear's?  I now know multiple people who have abandoned their Oribis and switched to a different solution because of issues like this. Might be time to join them.

How are end users supposed to have any confidence in the product when the releases are plagued with bugs and problems.  Heck they couldn't even catch a blatant issue with the mobile app.  How do you miss a missing icon and an improper icon(referring to teh mobile app)?  

Message 125 of 184
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7