Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.8.2 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Have the FW files already downloaded on a PC or laptop.

You'll need to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. I would disconnect the RBR from the the ISP modem. 

Press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. 

Use MS Edge, FireFox or Opera. 
HTTP and 192.168.1.1 should get you to the setup wizard. 

Walk thru the setup wizard and complete it. Write down all important information for safe keeping. 

Once the setup wizard completes you should be able to re-upload FW:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 76 of 114
jordand
Star

@neknek wrote:

Please detail how we are supposed to manually update the router with no access to it either via IP address or app.

Can you access the web interface via a device that's plugged into the LAN port of the router? Did you try https:// instead of http:// ?

Message 77 of 114
HDTVDinner
Guide

Spot on!!! Netgear caused the issued with zero communication about it and expects their dedicated users to be their support team. There is no scenario where this is acceptable. Regarding support - I agree with you 100%

Message 78 of 114
chet99
Tutor

Would someone mind clarifying this note please.  I'm not following the procedure.

Are we saying the satellites need to be (1) plugged directly into the router, (2) firmware loaded AND allowed to auto restart, (3) then hard reset and powered off again?

Thank you.

NOTE:  Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. I recommend doing a full on factory reset after the FW loads, system is back to ready and a power OFF for 1 minute then back ON has been performed. Use a wired PC and web browser for this. Load the FW on to each RBS web page using the RBS web page, not thru the RBRs web page. Then load the FW lastly on the RBRs web page. Walk thru the setup wizard. You can manually setup the system as well for those who are more experienced with this.

Message 79 of 114
FURRYe38
Guru

@chet99 wrote:

Would someone mind clarifying this note please.  I'm not following the procedure.

Are we saying the satellites need to be

(1) plugged directly into the router, No. Can be wireless however I would make sure the RBS are in a good distance and range from the RBR to ensure the RBS gets updates correctly.

(2) firmware loaded AND allowed to auto restart, Yes. Be sure to use the RBS web page to send the FW file instead of the RBRs web page.

(3) then hard reset and powered off again? After the RBS and RBR auto reboot can come back to ready, power them OFF for 1 minute then back ON. You may check operations here and see how the system works. IF you run into problems, factory reset and setup from scratch.

Message 80 of 114
FURRYe38
Guru

So wanted to try to check all this with my RBR750. I reverted it back to v.13 and didn't do anything. Not resets or reboots. Left it alone. Around 1am it updated back to v.2. Checking in morning, had access to both main web page and debug pages in MS Edge. 

1st test was with the RBR in AP mode. Todays test was with the RBR in router mode set up last nite. 

I also have Orbi app access as well however I do have WiFI private IP address and IP address Tracking Limiting disabling on my iPhone:

IMG_0992.PNG

Orbi app on my iphone 12 pro max iOS 15.4.1 and app v2.16.0.296

Message 81 of 114
Gdmann
Guide

It seems like many are having issues with the admin interface not working on the recent auto update and everyone on the forums say to factory reset and reload? If that is the case, for those of us the also use the VPN client, will that also require a visit to each system with the old client to reinstall it?
Message 82 of 114
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes and I don't know. 

@Gdmann wrote:
It seems like many are having issues with the admin interface not working on the recent auto update and everyone on the forums say to factory reset and reload? If that is the case, for those of us the also use the VPN client, will that also require a visit to each system with the old client to reinstall it?

Message 83 of 114
Gdmann
Guide

What does NG have to say about this? When in this state of the local and remote admin interface not functioning, if NG puts out a FW update, will it be able to be automatically pushed to devices from this reporting problems?
Message 84 of 114
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to let NG support know and ask about:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Were not employees with NG. 

@Gdmann wrote:
What does NG have to say about this? When in this state of the local and remote admin interface not functioning, if NG puts out a FW update, will it be able to be automatically pushed to devices from this reporting problems?

Message 85 of 114
simdim
Tutor

What is interesting - My RBS750 had upgraded to 4.6.8.2 and I still have admin access to them via WebGUI. but ports 80 and 443 are closed on RBR750

Message 86 of 114
Jimbo84
Apprentice

Small update on my reboot issue. 

I factory reset and what not on 8/5/2022 at 17:52.  I can't remember if I was finished at 17:52 or if I was finished 41 minutes later, at 18:33 (up time 41 minutes).  Annoyingly it looks like I missed a reboot yesterday 11/5/2022 at 18:30.  Here's me thinking it had been fine, but, looks like after 3 days, it did indeed restart and I had just missed it.

I'll see if anything happens this Saturday, around 18:30.  (That is if there is a pattern here of a reboot every 3 days)

Thanks.

Message 87 of 114
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep an eye on the Debug page: System Uptime. Take not of what you see now then look again maybe once a day. 

Something I'm seeing as well. 

@Jimbo84 wrote:

Small update on my reboot issue. 

I factory reset and what not on 8/5/2022 at 17:52.  I can't remember if I was finished at 17:52 or if I was finished 41 minutes later, at 18:33 (up time 41 minutes).  Annoyingly it looks like I missed a reboot yesterday 11/5/2022 at 18:30.  Here's me thinking it had been fine, but, looks like after 3 days, it did indeed restart and I had just missed it.

I'll see if anything happens this Saturday, around 18:30.  (That is if there is a pattern here of a reboot every 3 days)

Thanks.

Message 88 of 114
Timothy88
Luminary

They've already stolen our money so they have the upper hand. 

Pretty evident that Netgear doesn't care as no single Netgear employee has responded to any of this thread.

Message 89 of 114
Timothy88
Luminary

I'd be open to suggestions for a replacement.  Nothing but troubles with recent firmware updates, was fine the first several months after I installed it.

Message 90 of 114
bp88
Tutor

@simdim, can you tell what port you are using to get access to the WebGUI?

Message 91 of 114
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried revertting back FW to v4.6.7.13. Do not go farther than this version...

@Timothy88 wrote:

I'd be open to suggestions for a replacement.  Nothing but troubles with recent firmware updates, was fine the first several months after I installed it.

Message 92 of 114
bp88
Tutor

The fact that Netgear will not let you create a support case without paying on an issue caused by them through a firmware upgrade that they rolled out without permission is incredibly frustrating.  If they are not going to provide support then they should not be updating firmware without user permission.  One workaround is to say that you have a product without a serial number and say that you purchased it within the last few days.  It will then let you create a ticket.  Not sure if NG will actually respond, but it will at least let them know the extent of the issue and how many people are frustrated with it.

Message 93 of 114
Gdmann
Guide

Not going to pay for support, to tell them they broke my network equipment with an automated update. If someone from Netgear would like to provide me with a support activation card, I'll call in. As I still have not found the answer to "Will a factory reset require all my VPN client devices to be updated after settings are restored?" (I would assume so) Best way to send a message, is not buying the products they sell and telling everyone out there to do the same, time to SELL NTGR! Everyone needs to start filling the reviews of all the new products with how the manage their products! Now to figure out what other options there are for better equipment / better company practices.

Message 94 of 114
Timothy88
Luminary

@FURRYe38
Have you tried revertting back FW to v4.6.7.13. Do not go farther than this version...
Why so it can automatically update again?
When is netgear going to compensate us for all the lost time?
Message 95 of 114
DennisMaxx
Apprentice

I had many many problems with firmware  4.6.7.13 (Guest Network shows up despite it is turned off. When this happens, all my WiFi Devices drop their WiFi Connection for approx. 30s). I was in contact with support from January until 2 weeks ago. Then, I have installed newest Firmware 4.6.8.2 and my devices are not dropping their connection until now. The GuestNetwork bug is still there...once in a while I can see GN but without dropping connection from my devices. Its not good, but better than it was before.

My Uptime of RBR, RBS1 & RBS2 is now 15 days. I can reach debug websites, so this is no issue for me.

Message 96 of 114
FURRYe38
Guru

No. 

@Timothy88 wrote:
@FURRYe38
Why so it can automatically update again?
When is netgear going to compensate us for all the lost time?

Message 97 of 114
FURRYe38
Guru

ALL USERS. Looks like NG has pulled this version of FW from there download site. 

I recommend that users hold on to what they have currently loaded at this time.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DOWNGRADE your system. 

I'll try and find out more information. Please be patient.

Locking this thread for now.

Message 98 of 114
FURRYe38
Guru

Re-opening this thread as the problem was not caused by this version of FW. 

Message 99 of 114
sicpyr0
Aspirant

What is this issue caused by then.  My devices were auto upgraded, i factory reset to get access back to admin portal, and its still not working properly.  I want to downgrade but have been warned not to at all.  What is the fix that can be pushed by support?  is there a small bump in code rev when this is done?  i am currently on 4.6.8.2_2.1.9  will the 2.1.9 change?  how can i request the fix?  My issue is more around roaming not working properly since the upgrade since i fixed the admin portal with factory reset.

Message 100 of 114
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7