tux2067
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR750/RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.9.11 Released

Same here with one of the two RBS750.

Message 26 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible something on the AU side hasn't been cleared out. Seen this before with other users posting getting older FW notifications when newer is already onboard. You can ignore that. 

Be sure that you set your RBR to disable auto updates under the Manual Tab. 

@EdFerreira wrote:

Strangely enough i'm being offered the 

V4.6.3.16 in my RBS750 in autoupdate after the 4.6.9.11 upgrade. What can it be?

Message 27 of 73
InitialG
Guide

So I've had mine running for about 1.5 wks on the new firmware. No major issues so far. I did a manual update of the satellites then router, followed by a reset. Email alerts and auto update have been disabled. I haven't had any random reboots. The only thing I've noticed is that devices connected to my guest network seem to be renewing/refreshing their IP every few mins according to the logs, they seem to function fine but there are a lot of logged events.

Message 28 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya we know about the GN DHCP refreshing. Will be sure to pass this on to NG. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@InitialG wrote:

So I've had mine running for about 1.5 wks on the new firmware. No major issues so far. I did a manual update of the satellites then router, followed by a reset. Email alerts and auto update have been disabled. I haven't had any random reboots. The only thing I've noticed is that devices connected to my guest network seem to be renewing/refreshing their IP every few mins according to the logs, they seem to function fine but there are a lot of logged events.

Message 29 of 73
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Finally! A Netgear firmware update that I didn't have to simultaneously rub my tummy and pat my head to get it to run–then find out it created other issues! I've been running  4.6.9.11 for 7 days with no major issues.

I did a manual install (RBS's first) with no factory reset afterwards (I prefer to start there as the reconfiguration process is lengthy in my environment.). So far–right after the install–I've only had the Guest Network start broadcasting on its own. (I don't normally run the GN.) That was easily fixed by going into the Web UI and enabling the GN, waiting for it to reset, then disabling it. I also disabled email logging.

WiFi speeds are slightly slower at longer distances from the RBR and RBS (maybe 10% less). This is an acceptable trade to not have any random reboots, flashing lights, and email logging nonsense.  

Also very happy NG finally listened to the owners and allowed us to turn off firmware auto-updates. Fairly happy camper for now!

Message 30 of 73
pumpichank
Luminary

To revive this old thread, yesterday, Netgear released v4.6.9.11 via the Upgrade button on the Orbi iOS app.  I selected that and the router did appear to update successfully.  However, none of the satellites updated and there's no way through the app to trigger that.

So I logged into the router's web page (advanced -> online update), and it confirms that the router is running V4.6.9.11 and the satellites are all running V4.6.8.2.  The router status says No New Firmware Available, and all the satellites offer V4.6.3.16, which doesn't make sense to me.  By version number those all look like downgrades!

Further, selecting UpdateAll, I see the satellite statuses turn to "Upgrading..." but then nothing happens, as I kind of would expect given they're actually offering to downgrade.

Is there an upgrade available for the satellites, and how would I get them to install it?

Message 31 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

If the RBS are still connected and synced, manually update the RBS using there web pages ON the RBS themselves. Find the IP address of the RBS on the RBRs web page and use this in a web browser after manually downloading the RBS FW file:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4...

I recommend using this method to update the RBS FIRST, then the RBR lastly, using a wired PC and web browser. I would avoid using Orbi app as you can see, that may not work correctly. 

@pumpichank wrote:

To revive this old thread, yesterday, Netgear released v4.6.9.11 via the Upgrade button on the Orbi iOS app.  I selected that and the router did appear to update successfully.  However, none of the satellites updated and there's no way through the app to trigger that.

So I logged into the router's web page (advanced -> online update), and it confirms that the router is running V4.6.9.11 and the satellites are all running V4.6.8.2.  The router status says No New Firmware Available, and all the satellites offer V4.6.3.16, which doesn't make sense to me.  By version number those all look like downgrades!

Further, selecting UpdateAll, I see the satellite statuses turn to "Upgrading..." but then nothing happens, as I kind of would expect given they're actually offering to downgrade.

Is there an upgrade available for the satellites, and how would I get them to install it?

Message 32 of 73
pumpichank
Luminary

Thank you!  I've done exactly this and have upgraded all satellites and the router.  I've turned on automatic updates from here on.

Message 33 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working.

Were hoping that AU will be tested more before being used. Hopefully next FW update will work properly and RBS set updated first then the RBR all in one shot. We just don't know at this point in time. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@pumpichank wrote:

Thank you!  I've done exactly this and have upgraded all satellites and the router.  I've turned on automatic updates from here on.

Message 34 of 73
pumpichank
Luminary

Looking forward to seeing how auto update works.  Thanks for the recommendation to backup the config.  I just saved the router's config.  Do I need to save a config from each satellite too?

Message 35 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

We'll see. 

Nope. 

Message 36 of 73
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Manually saw and got the updated firmwares via 753 router's internal updater this early afternoon PDT. So far, so good. I did have one cheap streaming video box that couldn't access to the Internet even though connected to a wifi guest RBS strongly. I made it forget and reconnect it. Weird/Odd. Hopefully, this version is good! Oh, and I disabled the firmware autoupdater. I'll check and update manually!

Message 37 of 73
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@InitialG wrote:

Hmm, maybe that is why my streaming box told me no Internet connection. I had to manually forget and reconnect to it after the firmware updates.

Message 38 of 73
CrimpOn
Guru

@InitialG wrote:

The only thing I've noticed is that devices connected to my guest network seem to be renewing/refreshing their IP every few mins according to the logs, they seem to function fine but there are a lot of logged events.

It has been reported that whereas the primary network typically issues DHCP leases for 1 day (86,400 seconds), the guest network issues leases for a much shorter time.  The assumption being that "guests" are likely to be transitory and there is no point in keeping an IP address in limbo when the device has departed and may never return.

Would it be convenient to discover the length of the guest DHCP lease on your network?

(On a Windows computer this is easily done by opening a command window and running ipconfig /all.

This will display when the lease was issued and when it expires.)

Message 39 of 73
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@CrimpOn wrote:

@InitialG wrote:

The only thing I've noticed is that devices connected to my guest network seem to be renewing/refreshing their IP every few mins according to the logs, they seem to function fine but there are a lot of logged events.

It has been reported that whereas the primary network typically issues DHCP leases for 1 day (86,400 seconds), the guest network issues leases for a much shorter time.  The assumption being that "guests" are likely to be transitory and there is no point in keeping an IP address in limbo when the device has departed and may never return.

Would it be convenient to discover the length of the guest DHCP lease on your network?

(On a Windows computer this is easily done by opening a command window and running ipconfig /all.

My desktops don't have wireless. Is there a way to check in an iPhone with iOS v15.7?

Message 40 of 73
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@CrimpOn wrote:

@InitialG wrote:

The Lease Time for the Guest Network devices is set to 15 minutes by Netgear.

This is probably great for those who actually use the Guest Network for GUESTS, but many users are now using the Guest Network for IoT devices to provide network segregation from the main network devices as the security is not always the greatest on some IoT devices.

It would be great if this was user configurable and I believe some router manufacturers allow the user to set this time.

Message 41 of 73
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

@InitialG wrote:

The Lease Time for the Guest Network devices is set to 15 minutes by Netgear.

This is probably great for those who actually use the Guest Network for GUESTS, but many users are now using the Guest Network for IoT devices to provide network segregation from the main network devices as the security is not always the greatest on some IoT devices.

It would be great if this was user configurable and I believe some router manufacturers allow the user to set this time.

Ditto. Is this issue new in this firmware version or did it exist in earlier versions as well?

Message 42 of 73
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@ant wrote:

Ditto. Is this issue new in this firmware version or did it exist in earlier versions as well?

15 minute Lease Time on Guest Network is not new.   It's been that way for a long time.

Message 43 of 73
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

@ant wrote:

15 minute Lease Time on Guest Network is not new.   It's been that way for a long time.

Thanks.

Message 44 of 73
InitialG
Guide

The entries are indeed related to mobile/tablet devices (IoT etc)  and I'm not sure of the lease times (from the devices)

I can confirm that the log entries I have (for 5 devices) were roughly at 15min intervals.

I didn't realise about the default 15mins. Thx for that bit of information.

You have guessed correctly that I use Guest Network for IoT devices and simple network segregation.

Message 45 of 73
Norbertop
Guide

Just for info, the update went smooth when followed the instructions in the community. Have set the auto update to disabled.

Now we see how it performs in the upcoming weeks.

Message 46 of 73
coys
Guide

Fairly certain this update killed one of my satellites. Since I performed the update the other day, one satellite pulses white indefinitely and the other satellite doesn't show any devices connected to it while literally everything on my network attaches on the router directly.

Unless others have any suggestions, I assume I'll need to reset everything from scratch (exactly how I want to spend my Sunday night when I need everything up and running at 4am Monday). Unbelievable that this system costs as much as it does and is as unreliable as it is when it comes to updates.

RBR750

Message 47 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

How was the system updated? Manually?

Did you first update the RBS then the RBR? 

If all is updated across the board, do a factory reset on the RBS and RBR. Turn OFF the RBS when the front LED blinks WHITE. Set up the RBR from scratch. When it's fully set up, bring the RBS to same room as the RBR and turn ON one at a time, when the front LED pulsates white, press the sync button on the RBS and press the sync button on the RBR or use the Add Satellite function on the RBRs web page and select the Sync button here. 

Or you can connect a ethernet cable between the RBS  and  RBR and let the RBS sync, when you see the front LED turn BLUE, disconnect the ethernet cable then let the RBS sync wirelessly on it's own with the RBR.

Watch the RBRs web page for status and updates on the RBS connections.

@coys wrote:

Fairly certain this update killed one of my satellites. Since I performed the update the other day, one satellite pulses white indefinitely and the other satellite doesn't show any devices connected to it while literally everything on my network attaches on the router directly.

Unless others have any suggestions, I assume I'll need to reset everything from scratch (exactly how I want to spend my Sunday night when I need everything up and running at 4am Monday). Unbelievable that this system costs as much as it does and is as unreliable as it is when it comes to updates.

RBR750

Message 48 of 73
coys
Guide

Thanks for the suggestions. Believe I initiated updates from the Orbi app, no idea if i did RBR first before satellite. What happens if I did the satellite first? Seems insane that there'd be a requirement for them to be updated in a specific order and then no UI to tell me that. It's 2022, shouldn't need a support page for how to update firmware. That's a complaint to netgear, though, not you. 🙂

Message 49 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya we know but we presume due to the human condition, this will not be perfect or ever be perfect. Updating the Orbi RBS first has been a known item for years, even with the older RBS. Just how it is. 

Orbi app has been problematic as well and we recommend using the RBS web page and manually updating the RBS using the downloaded file mentioned in this thread, then the RBR lastly using it's web page. 

All the update process information is included in this thread. 

Message 50 of 73
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7