Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750/RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.9.11 Released

ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@coys wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. Believe I initiated updates from the Orbi app, no idea if i did RBR first before satellite. What happens if I did the satellite first? Seems insane that there'd be a requirement for them to be updated in a specific order and then no UI to tell me that. It's 2022, shouldn't need a support page for how to update firmware. That's a complaint to netgear, though, not you. 🙂

I use the internal updater to download and upgrade. I don't know what order it uses. If there is a specific order, then it Netgear should enforce that.

Message 51 of 73
coys
Guide

I mean all of it is a horrid user experience. That’s enough of a reason for them to spend cycles on fixing it. If it’s an issue for years, why not fix it? If the app is a problem, why not fix it?

If “this is just how it is and we should get used to imperfection”, I’ll just leave Netgear for a company that gives a crap about the quality of their products. Again, something like this shouldn’t require reading a manual for a bunch of specific, detailed upgrade steps. Baffling that it’s accepted as “will not ever be perfect”.
Message 52 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

You can complain and voice your concerns however this forum is mostly supported by experienced users and other users who give help and support information on getting problems fixed. Anything beyond that is beyond forum help. Something you'll need to open a support ticket for with NG support. 

Other factors may also be involved as well in regards to FW updates and the condition of your system. I've found that even if the RBS are placed too far from the RBR, this maybe one condition what would lead to bad experienced in FW updates. There maybe other odd issues that we can't all cover as not everyone has the same configuration or environment. So there maybe odd issues seen with different users. Not everyone has seen this problem while other may. 

NG has implemented giving users more control on FW updates now and we recommend taking advantage of this. User have been asking about this for years. 

IF your new to Orbi and FW updates then its not your fault about FW update, recommended process and methods and would be a learning experience for you.

Over all, were just here to help if we can. If not, you'll need to contact NG support. 

Good Luck. 

Message 53 of 73
coys
Guide

Thank you. I do appreciate the assistance, especially from someone seemingly not on staff with them. Appreciate your time and expertise, particularly through my ranting.
Message 54 of 73
coys
Guide

My satellite is definitely bricked. Flashing white to pulsing white. Never changes and I've run through every reset possible with it. No matter what process I performed it never fully resets and never shows up even if plugged into the router itself.

I can't even get it to show up anywhere to tftp the firmware file in. Am I screwed and now need with support to replace it or just to go back and return the whole pile of junk to costco?

Message 55 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the RBS appear at any time with a valid IP address if you ethernet connect it to the back of the RBR? Factory reset it then see if it will appear on the RBRs web page. 

Can reach out to a forum moderator or take it back and get another if that's needed. 

@Blanca_O @KevinLiT 

Message 56 of 73
cupskill04
Aspirant

Hello Kevin,

How are you?

Message 57 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Please select the moderators user name and send them a private message from there profile page. 

Thank you. 

@cupskill04 wrote:

Hello Kevin,

How are you?

Message 58 of 73
bdsmith63
Apprentice

This past week I upgraded to fiber optic from cable internet service, getting excellent download/upload speeds of 900+ Mbps.  Updated firmware 4.6.9.11 has helped several of my devices connect to the closest unit (router or satellite).

I also setup a network rack in my unfinished basement area and moved a majority of my IoT hubs to the rack all connected via Ethernet.  I think placement is the big key in allocating the WiFi connections around my home and having relocated the router and 2 satellites I have a more overall consistency with coverage now.

Message 59 of 73
mingcyu
Aspirant

Still on the fence on this one, just got my RBR750 and loving the speeds and connectivity, but hearing some move to this firmware and decreased coverage makes me hesitate…is that still an issue for ya’ll?

Message 60 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

If your not having any problems, I'd leave it. You have that choice now. 

@mingcyu wrote:

Still on the fence on this one, just got my RBR750 and loving the speeds and connectivity, but hearing some move to this firmware and decreased coverage makes me hesitate…is that still an issue for ya’ll?

Message 61 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Enjoy. 📡

@bdsmith63 wrote:
This past week I upgraded to fiber optic from cable internet service, getting excel...

I also setup a network rack in my unfinished basement area and moved a majority of my IoT hubs to the rack all connected via Ethernet.  I think placement is the big key in allocating the WiFi connections around my home and having relocated the router and 2 satellites I have a more overall consistency with coverage now.

@bdsmith63
Message 62 of 73
RockTheGlobe
Guide

I’m finding significant lag in this update on my RBK753 system, causing several seconds’ worth of hold when I try to access the Internet on my devices — once the connection is made, the page/app loads quickly, but getting to that connection is taking several seconds, like when I bring up the Apple App Store on my iDevices, I get a spinning wheel with “LOADING” for at least 6-10 seconds before the App Store presents.  I had initially attributed it to the iOS and iPadOS updates I’d made, but I’m at my mother’s house using her Xfinity WiFi modem/router, and while her Internet speeds are half what I have at home, the response/load time is within 1-3 seconds.

I have a Motorola MB8600 cable modem at home, and yes, I’ve rebooted the modem several times and factory reset the Orbi system after installing this update.

Message 63 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this happen with just the RBR alone while the RBS are turned OFF? 

Is Wifi Private IP address enabled on the apple devices? Be sure to disable this feature while at home. 

@RockTheGlobe wrote:

I’m finding significant lag in this update on my RBK753 system, causing several seconds’ worth of hold when I try to access the Internet on my devices — once the connection is made, the page/app loads quickly, but getting to that connection is taking several seconds, like when I bring up the Apple App Store on my iDevices, I get a spinning wheel with “LOADING” for at least 6-10 seconds before the App Store presents.  I had initially attributed it to the iOS and iPadOS updates I’d made, but I’m at my mother’s house using her Xfinity WiFi modem/router, and while her Internet speeds are half what I have at home, the response/load time is within 1-3 seconds.

I have a Motorola MB8600 cable modem at home, and yes, I’ve rebooted the modem several times and factory reset the Orbi system after installing this update.

Message 64 of 73
RockTheGlobe
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Does this happen with just the RBR alone while the RBS are turned OFF? 

Is Wifi Private IP address enabled on the apple devices? Be sure to disable this feature while at home. 

@RockTheGlobe wrote:

Yes, happens when the RBS satellites are unplugged and only the RBR is running.

Private WiFi addresses are turned off, but the lag remains.

Message 65 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

How was the FW loaded on the RBR and RBS? 

After the factory reset, how was the RBR configured? What additional Features did you enable or make changes too? 

@RockTheGlobe

Message 66 of 73
RockTheGlobe
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How was the FW loaded on the RBR and RBS? 

After the factory reset, how was the RBR configured? What additional Features did you enable or make changes too? 

@RockTheGlobe

Sorry for the delay in response, was down for a couple of days due to COVID booster dose.

FW was loaded on the RBR and RBS via web browser upload, connected by Ethernet at the time.

After the factory reset, I pretty much kept things as-is -- didn't even enable the Guest network.  The only thing I did enable was dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Message 67 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

What version of FW had been loaded prior to v.11? 

Message 68 of 73
RockTheGlobe
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What version of FW had been loaded prior to v.11? 

Message 69 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

You might downgrade and report your findings. 

Message 70 of 73
Mastra11
Apprentice

Good morning! On Friday my rbk753 system updated itself to version 4.6.9.11 before I had version 4.6.8.5 which worked fine fine. Now I have noticed that you can see the NETGEAR-guest network but I have NEVER activated it. It is also without wpa2 protection etc. I tried to connect and my phone does not connect to the guest network which I have never activated. Why do you see the NETGEAR-guest network? thanks for the replies.
Message 71 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Are the RBS updated as well to same version of FW? 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 72 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Posted the new 750 series FW that's released if anyone wants to give it a go:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4...

Post your experiences there. 

Thank you. 

Message 73 of 73
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7