Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

No Release Notes at this time. I'll see if I can get some.

Download Link:

https://ntgr.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#300000000xsV/a/8b000000saFt/i4cTgMcDmRicn83wLRWla1yba4WYDLOpoc...

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual.

To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/, enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documenta...

If you manually update, be sure to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

NOTE:  Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. After the FW files are loaded and the RBS and RBR are ready, power OFF the RBS and RBR for 2 minutes then back ON.

Unplug the power adapters from the power wall outlet. 

A factory reset maybe needed if problems are encountered:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

This article applies to:

Message 1 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Excellent news - boy I hope this fixes things or this place is going to blow up Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 261

And... for those of you who haven't followed this topic previously... Furry38 (Original Poster) is NOT a Netgear employee. Please don’t blame him for Netgear shortcomings.

Let's hope this firmware fixes more problems than it creates.
Message 3 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Applied the new firmware as directed by Furrye38's post - word for word

Have NOT done a factory reset and rebuild as yet

Status so far

• Whatsapp calls still fail as Wi-Fi drops after a few mins - same as before - ZERO change
  • Still unable to use Dynamic DNS - error is "Unable to complete the job, reason: Unable to locate hostname in your account". I can access my account on noip.com using the same email and password I entered into the router - checked and double chekced 100%
  • Still unable to email logs - error is "[email failed] Polite people say HELO first, Friday, Jan 07,2022 10:56:05"

Will try factory reset and complete rebuild from scratch later today

Message 4 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF the RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back ON after the FW was applied?

@Foden wrote:

Applied the new firmware as directed by Furrye38's post - word for word

Have NOT done a factory reset and rebuild as yet

Status so far

• Whatsapp calls still fail as Wi-Fi drops after a few mins - same as before - ZERO change < This only happens with this app? Do other voice apps work? 
  • Still unable to use Dynamic DNS - error is "Unable to complete the job, reason: Unable to locate hostname in your account". I can access my account on noip.com using the same email and password I entered into the router - checked and double chekced 100%<Has this worked in the past? Do a different DDNS service like OpenDNS work? 
  • Still unable to email logs - error is "[email failed] Polite people say HELO first, Friday, Jan 07,2022 10:56:05" <Has this worked in the past? Besure your Email settings and configuration are correct. Ensure the email services your sending to is not blocking anything. Sometimes Google will block if you don't allow. 

Will try factory reset and complete rebuild from scratch later today

Message 5 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

As I said, I followed your directions to the letter - both units were switched off for 2 mins, longer actually

Can't do any more testing for a couple of hours

Message 6 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Roger that.

Message 7 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Release Notes:

Enhancement: Updated wireless parameters as suggested by RF Team

Bug Fixes:
Unexpected reboot of Orbi Router.
Issue with IPTV/Multicast when PPPoE is enabled on WAN
Logs (GUI) only shows the activity that happened within the last 3 hours, not the entire router up-time logs.
Guest WiFi disconnects internet after 1 minute
RBR850 LAN port 1 became inaccessible as ethernet backhaul in AP mode
Potential satellite connection issues
Observed crash in RBS750
Factory Reset on Orbi GUI sometimes not working
Orbi App cannot connect to router when configured LAN IP address is 198.19.0.1
GUI Speed Test and Orbi app Speed Test do not show the Download Speed. (Community, Please confirm this works.)
WAN connection lost after 24 hours with magenta LED on router. (Community, Please confirm this works.)

Message 8 of 261
Mr410
Star

Appplied both firmware as instructed. I did remove power to the sattelite after the router upgrade and it connected without issue. So far a solid upgrade.

Message 9 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

OK, KOD time I'm sure

Have done a factory reset and rebult the Orbi from scratch. So far....... Whatsapp is NOT disconnecting and I have been on a call for over 30min. This has NEVER happened before, so that's progress

Still cannot get logs emailed to me or setup DDNS

Message 10 of 261
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Bug Fixes:

Logs (GUI) only shows the activity that happened within the last 3 hours, not the entire router up-time logs.

Much more detailed Release Notes. (This is good.)

Does someone honestly believe that the log file will now grow indefinitely?  My Orbi has been 'up' for 42 days and has generated over 6,000 log entries.  It has stayed up for as long as 180 days, which would amount to something over 30,000 log entries.  Look forward to a community report that substantiates the log growing forever.

Message 11 of 261
CrimpOn
Guru

@Foden wrote:

Still cannot get logs emailed to me or setup DDNS

What sort of error message is generated when the email parameters are tested?

Which DDNS service was selected?

Message 12 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Email log error is 

[email failed] Polite people say HELO first, Friday, Jan 07,2022 16:31:39

Will try different email accounts shortly....

Just tried Gmail, using smtp.gmail.com and port 587, and error is "[email failed] -5.7.9 Application-specific password required". Have TRIPLE checked the email address and password are 100% correct

Anyone get email logs working and/or DDNS?

Message 13 of 261
CrimpOn
Guru

Searching for "smtp Polite people say HELO" turned up a bunch of possibilities.

The most obvious is this case where the email domain name was incorrect:

https://help.2brightsparks.com/support/solutions/articles/43000336067-polite-people-say-helo-first 

Computers are so picky.

Message 14 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

LMAO - yep, I know what can cause that. However 100% not incorrect username/email address, port or password

IF, the oruter is sending across a malformed request that can also return this tyoe of error

Message 15 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Update - Whatsapp call still not dropped after 1hr 15mins so far - definatley way wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than before!!

Message 16 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Any idea whereabouts in the debug logs these errors/issues would show up?

Message 17 of 261
CrimpOn
Guru

@Foden wrote:

Just tried Gmail, using smtp.gmail.com and port 587, and error is "[email failed] -5.7.9 Application-specific password required". Have TRIPLE checked the email address and password are 100% correct

Strange.  My smtp.gmail.com uses port 465.  apparently there is some arcane difference between 465 and 587.

https://developers.google.com/gmail/imap/imap-smtp 

Message 18 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Yep, SMTP was never designed to last as long as it has and should have been binned years ago (haters don't give me a hard time as I'll just ignore your ready wit)

Using smtp.gmail.com and port 465 or 587

Deliberately used wrong password

[email failed] -5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted.

Correct password

[email failed] -5.7.9 Application-specific password required

https://developers.google.com/gmail/imap/imap-smtp

The outgoing SMTP server, smtp.gmail.com, requires TLS. Use port 465, or port 587 if your client begins with plain text before issuing the STARTTLS command.

Message 19 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Sorry for all the mesages on here on this.

FWIW, IMHO I recommened you

• Follow the original post from Furrye38 (at the top of this chat). Follow the steps word for word. Appreciate the early heads up in this forum for that Furry38
  • Then do a factory reset after the upgrade (or you are wasting your time)
  • Then rebuild your Orbi setup from scratch, do not load a previoulsy saved config. Yes I know this is a pain, trust me I know, I have to add over 50 devices back each time I rebuild the darn thing. Keep an Excel spreadsheet or text file with all your device details and then copy & paste is your friend
  • During my rebuild the only non-default step I took was to disable Upnp and disable 20/40 MHz Coexistence

• Hopefully, your wifi drop outs will cease or reduce considerably

If anyone knows how to get the Remote Access option back, from firmware v3.x, and that can survive a factory reset please let me know

Anyone got logs emailing to them and/or DDNS working?

Message 20 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Yes, I have spent a fair amount of time on this POC and I get your point, but I think it's misplaced IMHO.

Anyone that is here reading all these posts is here because have no other viable option of getting assistance with their POC and are desperate. You'll only ever get this type of help in a user forum, you have to pay for anything better.

I'm simply posting what has worked for me and I appreciate it won't necessarily work for anyone else. But, it might or may point them in another direction or worse case console them that they are not alone in the struggle.

I will never ever buy or recommend Netgear routers in future and will actively avoid them like the plague. I have had issues with the previous 2 Netgear routers that I have had and now know better. They used to be one of, if not the best platform, but those days now seem a very long time ago. The only way Netgear can keep me as a customer is to give me a brand new system with firmware that works 100% out of the box. Other than that, I will go elsewhere when I get my next router, as I suspect pretty much everyone else in this forum will do.

My final 'Doom and gloom point' for Netgear is simply - "You reap what you sow!" If you don;t fix this disaster it really won;t matter in the longrun (which will be short)

No offence meant to anyone or anything in the above

Keep the faith - This is the way Smiley Frustrated

Message 21 of 261
stagename
Aspirant

Based on the error wording, you likely need to set up an application password for the smtp relay. This is a common 'fix' when 2-step verification is enabled...I am not a fan of it, but then again it is a hosted service and it is limited by all the things.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en#zippy=%2Cwhy-you-may-need-an-app-password

"When you use 2-Step Verification, some less secure apps or devices may be blocked from accessing your Google Account. App Passwords are a way to let the blocked app or device access your Google Account."

Message 22 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

I'm only using gmail as a secondary test, have the same issue with my none gmail account 

Message 23 of 261
CrimpOn
Guru

@Foden wrote:

I'm only using gmail as a secondary test, have the same issue with my none gmail account 

Sorry, I cannot tell from this if port 465 gives the same error message as port 587.

Please note that I do not have 2-factor authentication enabled on the Gmail account that I use to send log files from the Orbi.

(I enabled 2-factor authentication on Gmail right before a 2014 trip to the UK and was totally screwed when I bought a SIM card in London and no longer had access to my US phone number.  NEVER make any significant change before foreign travel!)

Message 24 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

See msg 20

I don't have 2FA setup on gmail either, but it also fails on my non gmail account. Looking to see if I can see that anywhere in the debug files

and yes, LOL, rooky international travelr mistake =^)

Message 25 of 261
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7