Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where the speed test shows incorrect results.

Download Link: vhttps://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk852.aspx#download

RBR850: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBR850-V4.6.3.16.zip

RBS850: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBS850-V4.6.3.16.zip

Note: If the router firmware is updated to this firmware version, you can’t rollback to the previous firmware version.

Last Updated:09/17/2021

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual. To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/, enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product page.

If you manually update, be sure to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly.

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

NOTE: After the FW files are loaded and the RBS and RBR are ready, power OFF the RBS and RBR for 2 minutes then back ON. Unplug the power adapters from the power wall outlet.

This article applies to:

RBK852
RBK853
RBK854
RBR850
RBS850

Let us know how it works for you. 

Message 1 of 317
izme
Star

Owner of RBK853 (1x RBR850 + 2 RBS850)

After doing the automatic (online) upgrade system got unstable, kept going offline. I then powered off the router and satttelites, after it stayed good for a little while. But then wifi degration of speed and outages. 

I finally managed to downgrade the router RBR850 to v4.6.3.9. That seemed to perform well and remained stable.

After attaching the sattelites - still at v4.6.3.16 - everything still seems to be OK for now running 12 hours ok .

Not a really nice experience, got me stressed out for a while - I am counting on this product to be stable especially considering its price. Very hesistant to perform an upgrade in the future.

Message 2 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try a Factory reset and setup from scratch after next FW update.

Message 3 of 317
Sloanstar
Guide

Still broken.

Traffic hitting a static route is behaving poorly.

Can't SSH over P2P VPN Tunnel when traffic hits RBR850 first.

Inserting a route on endpoint works for testing, but is not feasible. Issue started with 4.x firmware.

Message 4 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Might revert back to what works for you.

Message 5 of 317
nexpos
Star

After installing the update to 4.6.3.16 - I have nothing but disconnects a few times per day. I also factory reset both the routers/satellite and set up the entire network again - but no luck. I've had this system for 6 months and it has been PERFECT until this FW update. I also tried to manually downgrade firmware but according to the page for this update you cannot downgrade. Any help would be appreciated as both of us are working from home and can't have this happen all day! THANK YOU!

Message 6 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584#M185...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307#M186...

@nexpos wrote:

After installing the update to 4.6.3.16 - I have nothing but disconnects a few times per day. I also factory reset both the routers/satellite and set up the entire network again - but no luck. I've had this system for 6 months and it has been PERFECT until this FW update. I also tried to manually downgrade firmware but according to the page for this update you cannot downgrade. Any help would be appreciated as both of us are working from home and can't have this happen all day! THANK YOU!

Message 7 of 317
VerneArase
Apprentice

I have a RBK853, and this evening there was a storm and the Living Room satellite fell offline.

I hit the sync button and light went from white to blue, and the satellite came online but it showed Out of Sync on the device display.

I powered it off and the white light appeared but never turned blue.

I pressed the reset switch and the white light again failed to turn blue.

I checked its firmwave version and though previously all components showed 4.6.3.16, now the Living Room Satellite showed 4.6.3.9.

I uploaded a firmware file for the RBS850 to the Living Room satellite now shows the proper firmware level (4.6.3.16).

Anyone know what's going on?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 8 of 317
VerneArase
Apprentice

Message 9 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

"The affected models are the R6400v2, R6700, R6700v3, R6900, R6900P, R7000R7000P, R7850, R7900, R8000 and RS40"

@VerneArase wrote:

Anyone know if the RBR850 is affected by this?

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/netgear-router-circle-patches?utm_source=notification

Message 10 of 317
nexpos
Star

Still waiting here.....is Netgear going to fix this broken firmware ? This is ridiculous. Is anyone looking at this or waiting to see how many people complain? I left ASUS due to a similar issue with crap firmware. Anyone else with ideas or a potential newer FW?
Message 11 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you opened a support ticket to let them know what your experiencing? 

NG doesn't announce if or when new FW is forth coming. 

Do you happen to have a upstream router you can use in front of the RBR? 

@nexpos wrote:
Still waiting here.....is Netgear going to fix this broken firmware ? This is ridiculous. Is anyone looking at this or waiting to see how many people complain? I left ASUS due to a similar issue with crap firmware. Anyone else with ideas or a potential newer FW?

Message 12 of 317
nexpos
Star

How can I do this? It says my complimentary support ended on 6/16/21 and I either have to pay for Gearhead or ask community. Thoughts? My wife and I keep losing calls and meetings due to this.
Message 13 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

You can contact a forum moderator here and let them know:

@Blanca_O @DarrenM 

There any upstream router infront of the RBR? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@nexpos wrote:
How can I do this? It says my complimentary support ended on 6/16/21 and I either have to pay for Gearhead or ask community. Thoughts? My wife and I keep losing calls and meetings due to this.

Message 14 of 317
nexpos
Star

Hi and thanks for sending, I'll look to see if I can send them more information. Appreciate it!

@Blanca_O @DarrenM 

I am on a Verizon FiOS 1 Gig connection, and I do not have any other router present. Since my previous ASUS ZEN WIFI system, I have not been using the gateway router and set it up directly to my own system. I'm assuming I'd have to open the ONT outside to get more information on it? 

I have an RBK852 system that was purchased in March of this year (3/18/2021) or so. It's been absolutely PERFECT until this firmware update. I said I'd never leave NETGEAR after the first 6 months (and based on my ASUS Experience which they entirely refunded me the ZEN WIFI router cost via check - as they knew there was an issue).

Message 15 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Well if the ONT doesn't have built in router, you can try this and downgrade the Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584#M185...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307#M186...

Not pretty but gets Orbi working again...

@nexpos wrote:

I am on a Verizon FiOS 1 Gig connection, and I do not have any other router present. Since my previous ASUS ZEN WIFI system, I have not been using the gateway router and set it up directly to my own system. I'm assuming I'd have to open the ONT outside to get more information on it? 

I have an RBK852 system that was purchased in March of this year (3/18/2021) or so. It's been absolutely PERFECT until this firmware update. I said I'd never leave NETGEAR after the first 6 months (and based on my ASUS Experience which they entirely refunded me the ZEN WIFI router cost via check - as they knew there was an issue).

Message 16 of 317
Emonson
Guide

Since upgrading to this firmware - my satelllites keep dropping connection. Does anyone know how I can roll back the firmware?
Message 17 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

@Emonson wrote:
Since upgrading to this firmware - my satelllites keep dropping connection. Does anyone know how I can roll back the firmware?

Message 18 of 317
LucGov
Star

Same here !!!

Keep having disconnects all day after this FW upgrade. Any advise how to find a stable FW version for a rool-back ?

Message 19 of 317
izme
Star

small update from my site.

After a few days the RBR850 did upgrade by itself from 4.6.3.9 to 4.6.3.16. At that specific time of the upgrade experienced a short outage, which is to be expected.

I noticed thereafter that it did not see my backhaul connections correct, I have 1 wired and 1 wireless, but they appeared both wireless. I then shut down both sattelites (RBS850) for a while to restart them. After which they came up. Again some switching between determination if it was wired or wireless (it even thought my wireless sattelite was wired) but after some minutes it stabilized to the correct setup.

The wireless sattelite (+/- 30ft from router and +/- 15 feet from wired sattelite) gives pour backhoul. Don't know how to fix that. For the rest it seems reasonably stable ... for now...

Message 20 of 317
dejan2604
Aspirant

My Router (with one Satellite) updated over night by itself. I thought that the update is only possible if I manually confirm that, but I was obviously wrong. So I was rather shocked when I saw the V4 in router app. I am working from home and I need very good internet connection.

So I started to check my network and ... everything is working fine ! Satellite is connected via WLAN, it is working stable and there is no loss in speed. All units are connected as it was the case before. The only thing that changed is that my defined static addresses disappeared and now I have to add them again manually (I am not sure how I did that - I have to look into documentation). And yes - the problem with ghost units presented in a mapping app disappeared - now it is showing the right configuration.

So at least one positive report ... or maybe I was lucky ... who knows ...

Message 21 of 317
Richie_Rico
Aspirant

Getting those blasted dns issues again after this update. Going to attempt to downgrade
Message 22 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

You can roll back.

@LucGov wrote:

Same here !!!

Keep having disconnects all day after this FW upgrade. Any advise how to find a stable FW version for a rool-back ?

Message 23 of 317
CH-Syd
Aspirant

What a joke your software developers are! Do you even test your firmware before releasing. 

Covid lockdowns are still in place in Australia, yet you develop software that inhibit working at all. 

• Internet speeds are 1/4 of what they were, if actually working!
  • Internet keeps dropping out
  • Router disconnects then reconnects
  • Satellite rarely connect and have less coverage that before
  • You can't downgrade the firmware to something that worked
  • What a waste of money!

Try running business meetings on a very expensive router that is basically useless. 

Who can I send my invoice for all of my lost time and earnings.

I would never recommend netgear to anyone.

Very annoyed and disgruntled Chief Information Officer.

Message 24 of 317
Emonson
Guide

How do you roll back?

My current solution is to reboot everything each morning - seems to give a bit of stability for a few hours but very annoying!
Message 25 of 317
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7