Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850/RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.9.11 Released

skeelo
Luminary

@Mikey94025 wrote:

@skeelo wrote:

What a poorly managed update.  

Netgear auto updated my RBR but did not auto update my RBSs.  Now I have a satellite that is not connecting to the network and two other satellites connected but do not show an update available - they actually don't show anything other than "Please wait a moment..." in the firmware update screen.

It is unclear to me how a technology company can be this incompetent when rolling out a firmware update.

Again, this is not how auto updates work.  Companies regularly delay auto-updating everyone to reduce risk.  Instead they make the new firmware manually available first and then after a short time and if no issues reported, slowly rollout the update.  This is the correct and industry standard way to manage firmware updates.

For most Orbi customers who do not read the forum and who do not immediately install new firmware updates, their devices will *eventually* update.  They don't care if their base vs. satellite are temporarily mismatched, as long as they continue to work.  They also do not want the extra risk of installing something new, so they instead wait for the company to take responsibility for the update (after the early adopters add greater confidence that it is fine).

Uh... what?  My system had issues which is why I posted to begin with.

Aside from the fact there are now 6 pages in this thread in which users highlighted firmware update issues from early adopters of this version, which would/ should delay the auto update process per your diatribe, my system was automatically updated, updated only the RBR, and in doing so had a negative impact on my RBS connectivity.

Had I not had connection issues due to the mismatched firmware loaded in with the auto update I would not have made my original post in this thread.

Every firmware update thread ever posted here that I have seen explicitly states that RBSs should be updated prior to updating the RBR and in this case, Netgear's auto update does not follow the its own best practice.  As a result, I had to step in and manually update my system after however many successful firmware auto updates prior to this.

So again, this was a poorly managed update and it is unclear to me how a technology company can be this incompetent when rolling out an auto firmware update.

Edit: Step two in the install FAQ in the first post of this thread states "Updated the firmware on your Orbi satellite" before step three "Update the firmware on your Orbi router".

1. Download the firmware for both your Orbi router and satellite.
  2. Update the firmware on your Orbi satellite.
  3. Update the firmware on your Orbi router.

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 151 of 165
CrimpOn
Guru

@skeelo wrote:

Every firmware update thread ever posted here that I have seen explicitly states that RBSs should be updated prior to updating the RBR

This is correct.  The User Manual for my Orbi states under "Manual Update" that Netgear recommends updating the satellite(s) first.  (One would have hoped that the "Help" information that scrolls up from the bottom of the web page would have included this admonition, but it doesn't.)  The posts that appear on the forum are a combination of people reporting that recommendation from the user manuals and their own practices.  I have yet to see anyone from Netgear engineering or support comment on this issue.

It is unclear (to me) why this would be the case, as I have successfully run my Orbi system with router and satellite on different versions.  Certainly my RBS40V (voice) satellite firmware does not get updated "in sync" with the primary router firmware.  (Heck, I even ran for a day with my router on Voxel's third party version and the satellite on Netgear stock version. No problem.)  When a satellite reboots after updating firmware, can it no longer connect to the router that remains on the older version?

Over the years, firmware updates on the Orbi product line have had "issues".  In the past six months, those of us with the older Orbi have watched in horror as customers who upgraded to more expensive models faced one disaster after another, which in the army would have been described as a "cluster-f***".  There have even been posts from users who enabled "Do NOT update automatically" who have had their systems silently updated.

I think you have every right to be disappointed, frustrated, and angry.

Message 152 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

IF your system hadn't been updated to v.11 prior then the Auto Update systme may have still updated the system, yet improperly, leaving the RBS out or not updating them first as they should be. Saw another user recently that there RBS had not updated after the AU system upated there RBR. We asked NG to not use the AU system until they can fully figure out what that system is doing. So from v.11 FW onwards, you now have the ability to not received ANY FW updates from the AU system. Be sure you select disable. Should not need to worry about the AU system though NG can notifiy you thru the Orbi app or RBRs web page IF there is something new. From now on you have control on FW updates ON your Orbi system going forward. Just be sure if you do, update the RBS first, then RBR lastly.

Enjoy. 

Uh... what?  My system had issues which is why I posted to begin with.

Aside from the fact there are now 6 pages in this thread in which users highlighted firmware update issues from early adopters of this version, which would/ should delay the auto update process per your diatribe, my system was automatically updated, updated only the RBR, and in doing so had a negative impact on my RBS connectivity.

Had I not had connection issues due to the mismatched firmware loaded in with the auto update I would not have made my original post in this thread.

Every firmware update thread ever posted here that I have seen explicitly states that RBSs should be updated prior to updating the RBR and in this case, Netgear's auto update does not follow the its own best practice.  As a result, I had to step in and manually update my system after however many successful firmware auto updates prior to this.

So again, this was a poorly managed update and it is unclear to me how a technology company can be this incompetent when rolling out an auto firmware update.

Edit: Step two in the install FAQ in the first post of this thread states "Updated the firmware on your Orbi satellite" before step three "Update the firmware on your Orbi router".

1. Download the firmware for both your Orbi router and satellite.
  2. Update the firmware on your Orbi satellite.
  3. Update the firmware on your Orbi router.

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 153 of 165
skeelo
Luminary

This was the update to v11 and the first thing I did was turn off auto update.  Thanks for the reminder though.

Message 154 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Just be sure if you manually update the system again yourself, RBS first then RBR lastly. 

Message 155 of 165
Mooose
Luminary

I am seeing the guest network appear as well, seem to have disabled it (for now) by changing the name, turning it on and then turning it off again.

Also, I am seeing horrendous wifi performance since I updated about a week ago. My Ring cameras and Yale bridge are reporting poor signal quality, which was not the case with the previous firmware, and some older iPads are having issues connecting and holding a connection while streaming music to AirPlay 2 speakers, which also has not been an issue before. Newer devices are showing less than a full number of wifi bars, which is a new development as well.

Message 156 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 157 of 165
Mooose
Luminary

No, I have done that enough times before with zero effect, I am not going that route without a really good reason to do so.
Message 158 of 165
out2pgh
Aspirant

I have the Orbi 850. I wrote about issues I had with 4.6.9.11 earlier in this group. Netgear pushed out the new firmware in July/August and was recommended by Netgear support to go back to Firmware 4.6.8.5. That resolved my issues. My Orbi has updated me again in the last two days to Firmware 4.6.9.11. After taking it back again, I am back to Firmware 4.6.9.11. So I have downgraded three times and am now back to the new one again. Is anyone else getting this update forced on them?

Message 159 of 165
CrimpOn
Guru

Certainly looks like an awkward situation.  Netgear support recommends loading older firmware, but the first release to officially offer customers an option to disable automatic firmware updates is V4.6.9.11:

https://kb.netgear.com/000065127/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4-6-9-11 

Message 160 of 165
Mooose
Luminary

The guest network which had been manually turned off is automagically on again, without any configuration changes or reboots.

Message 161 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Arter v.11 was loaded on the system, did you power OFF the system for 1 minute then back ON and continue to use the system or have you done a full on factory reset and setup from scratch since v.11 was applied? 

We have seen the GN being seen during the boot up and ready sequence then it has turned back OFF. 

Try this, enable the GN network and changd the SSID Name to something else. once the GN is enabled for a few minutes, re-disable it on the RBRs web page. 

@Mooose wrote:

The guest network which had been manually turned off is automagically on again, without any configuration changes or reboots.

Message 162 of 165
Mooose
Luminary

Yes, I have powered off the Orbi router, the Orbi satellite, the switch and the ONT, waited, and then turned turned them on again. I have also changed the guest network SSID, enabled it and then disabled it. I have seen the guest network (with the new SSID) appear twice in the last week, but it has been a while now.

I have not factory reset and set up from scratch, and I will not unless there is some really compelling evidence that it will help. (I have done this quite enough times already.)

Message 163 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

If it's seen again, a reset and setup from scratch maybe the next step.

Message 164 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 165 of 165
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7