Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 7.2.6.21 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

The only thing recommended after the system was updated would have been powering OFF the RBS and RBR for one minute then back ON. Then observe. If problems were seen then a factory reset and setup from scratch would have been next step. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@Dsteve wrote:

Help!!!! this firmware update i am having some problem with.

I thought it was all going pretty straight forward, updated the satellites and then the router.

restart the router, got the white flashing light and then it went out, no blue light.

reset the router to factory settings and now it just flashs white light and then a fixed white light.

I tried putting an ethernet cable into the router to get back in to see what was up, but with no luck.

i have done all the usual stuff, restart the modem etc.

Any ideas?

Message 101 of 144
DM2604
Tutor

Hi,

I like to leave the update of my router to itself: when it informs me that there is an update. Strangely, for this update it still tells me that there is no new version of router firmware. Is it normal that for a such a long period of time, the servers for Europe - or where ever they really are - (I am living in Austria) are not making this update available for the users ?

Message 102 of 144
CrimpOn
Guru

This is a reasonable position.  On the forum, a common saying is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Users who come to the forum because their system is not working correctly are usually encouraged to update the firmware because everyone who will try to help them has the newer firmware.

There appears to be no pattern for when firmware appears on the Firmware Update screen.  The latest firmware for the RBR50 was released in Feb, 2023 and still does not appear.  This version for the 750, 850 came out in Sept, 2023 and includes some major changes.  One could imagine Netgear not wanting to rush people who are happy with their systems into a major change.

Message 103 of 144
muusicman
Aspirant

I’ve read the site that tells how to update the Firmware on the 850. I just don’t trust myself to do it. I’m not good at this stuff and I depend on internet too much. I’m experiencing slower speeds over both Wi-Fi and Wired lately. Can someone walk me through this process please? I’m hoping that the firmware update will resolve my speed issues. Knowing my luck it won’t help anything. I don’t know what’s going on. It’s annoying though. I always assumed a 1 gig connection would be flawless all the time.
Message 104 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Find you a friend, family member or a tech service in your locale city to have them help you with updating your system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/1abok3u/manually_update_firmware

Message 105 of 144
muusicman
Aspirant

Might someone on here be willing to step me through it? I have Reddit. We could DM back and fourth. I can’t imagine it’d take too long. Also, once I do it, I’m sure I could do it again next time without the assistance.
Message 106 of 144

Really strange .... I have an RBR850 and 4 x RB853 sats. The app reports that it is on the latest FW ... V4.4.14.3.

If I ask it to check for updates it says it's up to date.

About a year or so back, one of the NG guys spent an age with me getting the sats and router up to date and found a duff sat which they arranged a very efficient replacement of. 

But I'm wondering why the app does not tell there are updates to do?

Any advice how to go about fixing this would be appreciated. As it goes I do have an issue with a third party 2.4ghz device which does indicate an issue relationship wise with one of the Orbi sats .... of course to get up to date FW on all the devices would be another tick in the fault finding list

Appreciate any help you can give

Message 107 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

You can manually update the system, RBS first, then RBR lastly:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

@moonwatcher64 wrote:

Really strange .... I have an RBR850 and 4 x RB853 sats. The app reports that it is on the latest FW ... V4.4.14.3.

If I ask it to check for updates it says it's up to date.

About a year or so back, one of the NG guys spent an age with me getting the sats and router up to date and found a duff sat which they arranged a very efficient replacement of. 

But I'm wondering why the app does not tell there are updates to do?

Any advice how to go about fixing this would be appreciated. As it goes I do have an issue with a third party 2.4ghz device which does indicate an issue relationship wise with one of the Orbi sats .... of course to get up to date FW on all the devices would be another tick in the fault finding list

Appreciate any help you can give

Message 108 of 144
quanah
Aspirant

Hello,

I've run into an issue where every time my RBR850 reboots, the setting for the SIP alg being disabled turns back on, even though the UI still shows it as checked off.  The only way to get it back off is to:

a) Uncheck the box

b) check the box

c) power cycle the RBR850

The next time the RBR850 is power cycled, however, the SIP alg is back in place and I have to go back through the above steps.   I've tried doing a factory reset multiple times it does not solve the issue.  This seems like a bug in this specific firmware release as I did not have this problem prior to updating to it last year.

Message 109 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmmm, last time I checked this it is disabled by default, even after a factory reset. 

What browser are you using? Happens with different browsers? 

Clear out all browser caches before and after making any changes and rebooting the RBR.

@quanah wrote:

Hello,

I've run into an issue where every time my RBR850 reboots, the setting for the SIP alg being disabled turns back on, even though the UI still shows it as checked off.  The only way to get it back off is to:

a) Uncheck the box

b) check the box

c) power cycle the RBR850

The next time the RBR850 is power cycled, however, the SIP alg is back in place and I have to go back through the above steps.   I've tried doing a factory reset multiple times it does not solve the issue.  This seems like a bug in this specific firmware release as I did not have this problem prior to updating to it last year.

Message 110 of 144
quanah
Aspirant

I'm using Firefox, but the if the RBS850 loses power and reboots the SIG alg is re-enabled, and I have to go through the process to re-disable it.

Next time it occurs I'll try Chrome, but it doesn't seem like a browser issue if no browser is involved and it occurs. 😉

Message 111 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Only happens when the RBR looses power? 
Does rebooting the RBR from it's web page with SIP disabled do same thing? 

Message 112 of 144
quanah
Aspirant

It only seems to happen if it loses power.

Message 113 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Let see if we can reproduce this. Default is disabled and shouldn't be enabled on a power cycle. 

Possible some odd date on your RBR or could be some FW bug we haven't seen. 

Message 114 of 144

Superb thread and guide .... worked a treat on my RBS850 and 4 x RBS850's. 

Many thanks

Message 115 of 144
quanah
Aspirant

Great, thanks! If there's anything I can do on my end let me know as well.

Message 116 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Have not been able to reproduce this. 

@quanah wrote:

Great, thanks! If there's anything I can do on my end let me know as well.

Message 117 of 144
Mooose
Luminary

I finally tired of waiting for my system to find the updated firmware on its own, and updated it manually. It has been running for a week without any issues so far.

Message 118 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Curious, what is the bootloader version seen on your RBRs debug page? IP address/debug/htm

@Mooose wrote:

I finally tired of waiting for my system to find the updated firmware on its own, and updated it manually. It has been running for a week without any issues so far.

Message 119 of 144
Mooose
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Curious, what is the bootloader version seen on your RBRs debug page? IP address/debug/htm

• Firmware Version: V7.2.6.21_5.0.20
  • Boot Loader Version: V1.0.13
  • seal: v2.1.5.49-0
  • seal_services: v2.1.5.20-0
  • armor-bd: v2.2.100.3
  • spc-circle: v3.31.1.2
  • CPU Load: 12.37%
  • Memory Usage(Used/Total): 315 MB/874 MB
  • System Uptime: 4 days 14:42:30
Message 120 of 144
mikeinlondon
Tutor

When it says above “ Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200” where do we change this please?
Message 121 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

@mikeinlondon wrote:
When it says above “ Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200” where do we change this please?

Message 122 of 144
mbrev
Initiate

Anyone else having an issue with FW v7.2.6.21 and satellites now not allowing the Guest network internet access? If a guest is connected to the router itself, they have internet access.

Satellites are individually ethernet connected to the router. If the satellites are wirelessly connected instead, the guest network works.

Gone through the usual factory reset, re-applying the FW, etc., etc.

Message 123 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Are the RBS ethernet connected directly to the back of the RBR or is there any LAN Switch in the middle or maybe a patch panel? 

How was the system updated? Orbi app? RBR? or manually? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the FW was updated?

@mbrev wrote:

Anyone else having an issue with FW v7.2.6.21 and satellites now not allowing the Guest network internet access? If a guest is connected to the router itself, they have internet access.

Satellites are individually ethernet connected to the router. If the satellites are wirelessly connected instead, the guest network works.

Gone through the usual factory reset, re-applying the FW, etc., etc.

Message 124 of 144
CrimpOn
Guru

And................... Is this router in 'router' or 'access point' (AP) mode?

Message 125 of 144
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7