Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how v5 works for you. 

@Asch_72 wrote:
I just joined this community as a last ditch, throw of the dice to sort out my orbi issues before I rip it out and bin it. Have had the System for nearly 2 years, the range is ultra disappointing and the stability horrendous. I tried today to get support as I had finally had enough and couldn’t figure out how to contact anyone without paying for a 130$ support subscription.

I used to work with Netgear and from what I can see, this thread offers me the opportunity to test their firmware for them.

Not impressed but I will give it a run this weekend to see how it goes.

I have hard wired the Sat to the router to solve my range issues but stability is simply isn’t good enough now that the wife has gone back to work and the load increased only marginally.

Looks like an engaged community here. Hopefully we get a good outcome

Message 251 of 460
nexus_orbi
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 - can you suggest someone that I might send the debug logs to?

The issue with my wife's Chromebook is still occurring, and still reproducible.  It only occurs with the new .5 FW.

Many thanks in advance.

@nexus_orbi wrote:

>> What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
>> What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡

>> to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

>> I ran 13 days with zero issues with v5 and RBS flasing anything. 

>> Manual channels 1 and 40, 40Mhz only. CTS 64, RBS wireless and wired. 50% Transmit power on the RBR.

>> Traffic Meter enabled set to no limit. 

Not sure about the sq-footage, it's a rental.  It's an "L" shape though, with the head of the L about 12-15m away from the heel, and the toe about 5m away from that.

All the radios are at 100%, the CTS is 64, it is 20/40 mixed.  Most everything is default.  I have traffic metering on, and all the logs are also on.

I've taken a debug capture of the network when the problem occurred.  Maybe it would help if I sent this to someone?

There were interesting messages in a file called "critical_attach_log_tmp" at the time the satellites went down:

[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 542A1BC262E0 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device C4B301DAC0E3 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 2A622873ACC7 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 949F3E83A868 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 949F3E83C08A disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 949F3E63BE1A disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 949F3E435216 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 5CAAFDF32AA4 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 542A1BC262E0 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device F8FFC20E85F5 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device C22F97844EAC disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 2CDB0715FBB7 disconnected, delete it

I'm not sure if this is related to the problem or not, but it seems odd.

The rest of the logs don't really make sense to me.

Message 252 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, please post up on a site like dropbox and PM me a link to the URL to the log file. 

Is AX mode disabled on the RBR? 

@nexus_orbi wrote:

can you suggest someone that I might send the debug logs to?

The issue with my wife's Chromebook is still occurring, and still reproducible.  It only occurs with the new .5 FW.

Many thanks in advance.

@nexus_orbi wrote:

>> What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
>> What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡

>> to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

>> I ran 13 days with zero issues with v5 and RBS flasing anything. 

>> Manual channels 1 and 40, 40Mhz only. CTS 64, RBS wireless and wired. 50% Transmit power on the RBR.

>> Traffic Meter enabled set to no limit. 

Not sure about the sq-footage, it's a rental.  It's an "L" shape though, with the head of the L about 12-15m away from the heel, and the toe about 5m away from that.

All the radios are at 100%, the CTS is 64, it is 20/40 mixed.  Most everything is default.  I have traffic metering on, and all the logs are also on.

I've taken a debug capture of the network when the problem occurred.  Maybe it would help if I sent this to someone?

There were interesting messages in a file called "critical_attach_log_tmp" at the time the satellites went down:

[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device C4B301DAC0E3 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 2A622873ACC7 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 949F3E83A868 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 949F3E83C08A disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 949F3E63BE1A disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 949F3E435216 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 5CAAFDF32AA4 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device F8FFC20E85F5 disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device C22F97844EAC disconnected, delete it
[deleteSatelliteDeviceInfo 5575] satellite-device 2CDB0715FBB7 disconnected, delete it

I'm not sure if this is related to the problem or not, but it seems odd.

The rest of the logs don't really make sense to me.

Message 253 of 460
JulianHa
Guide

So this FW might address/mitigate the ‘unexpected reboots’ ? That would be great. Is NG accepting that’s a thing. I am at about 1/hour currently and am getting the runaround from NG and premium tech support.
Network stability used to be a pre-req.
Message 254 of 460
Asch_72
Aspirant

Been about 12h since upgrade and I have still noticed network instability with multiple Wi-Fi dropouts while on the satellite.
Message 255 of 460
57ay
Apprentice

I've had my RTS/CTS set to 500 for a number of months now without issues and all devices running smoothly. I've also had firmware 4.6.7.5 running for approximately 4 weeks without issues any issues👍 Love it!
Message 256 of 460
rr20552
Apprentice

I haven’t had any issues with my satellite since I dropped (enabled) RTS / CTS to 2304.

I suspect the issue is something to do with setting (disabling) RTS/CTS to the maximum value and video calls.
Message 257 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@Asch_72 wrote:
Been about 12h since upgrade and I have still noticed network instability with multiple Wi-Fi dropouts while on the satellite.

Message 258 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

@JulianHa wrote:
So this FW might address/mitigate the ‘unexpected reboots’ ? That would be great. Is NG accepting that’s a thing. I am at about 1/hour currently and am getting the runaround from NG and premium tech support.
Network stability used to be a pre-req.

Message 259 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

@rr20552 @57ay 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 260 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

To @cdp1276 and anyone monitoring the Memory Usage on the debug page, if you notice this value slowly creeping up in value, check your IPv6 settings on the RBR. If it's enabled, disable IPv6 then monitor for a couple of days and please post your findings. 

There maybe a IPv6 issue here that we'd like to check on. Wondering if IPv6 is enabled, could this be causing memory usage value to creep. 

@cdp1276 wrote:

Screenshot 2022-01-29 120559.pngRock solid for me 20 days and counting vs a typical reboot weekly and memory seems fine on AP and satellite as I checked both.

Basic Information

Firmware Version: V4.6.7.5_2.1.7

dumaos: v3.0.410

seal: v2.1.5.21-0

seal_services: v2.1.5.9-0

armor-bd: v2.2.100.3

spc-circle: v3.25.0.2

CPU Load: 11.95%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 416 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 20 days 23:09:02

Message 261 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

To @cdp1276 and anyone monitoring the Memory Usage on the debug page, if you notice this value slowly creeping up in value, check your IPv6 settings on the RBR. If it's enabled, disable IPv6 then monitor for a couple of days and please post your findings. 

There maybe a IPv6 issue here that we'd like to check on. Wondering if IPv6 is enabled, could this be causing memory usage value to creep. 

My Orbi is running in AP mode so the IPV6 settings are all greyed out in the Advanced menu. My ISP doesn't support IPv6 in any event.

I'm still seeing the memory creep issue, on the RBR but not the RBS. Memory usage sits at about 340MB immediately following a reboot then rises by around 10MB each day. All logs are disabled.

Message 262 of 460
cdp1276
Star

I already have IPv6 disabled...

Message 263 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Any memory creep on yours? 

@cdp1276 wrote:

I already have IPv6 disabled...

Message 264 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

And does the RBR continue to work as it creeps? 

Have you let the memory get to max yet and if so, does the RBR continue to work or does it fail? 

What is the RBR connected to in AP mode? 

Odd that in AP mode this is happening since most of the features are disabled. Possible leak or HW problem. 

@Garwoofoo wrote:

My Orbi is running in AP mode so the IPV6 settings are all greyed out in the Advanced menu. My ISP doesn't support IPv6 in any event.

I'm still seeing the memory creep issue, on the RBR but not the RBS. Memory usage sits at about 340MB immediately following a reboot then rises by around 10MB each day. All logs are disabled.

Message 265 of 460
cdp1276
Star

Yes, up 30 days and at 581mb. Scroll back and I have posted multiple times on this.

Message 266 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

And does the RBR continue to work as it creeps? 

Have you let the memory get to max yet and if so, does the RBR continue to work or does it fail? 

What is the RBR connected to in AP mode? 

Odd that in AP mode this is happening since most of the features are disabled. Possible leak or HW problem. 

Yes, the RBR continues to work as normal.

I haven't let the memory usage get past about 700MB yet. Partly this is because I wanted to reboot the system anyway because I was changing the RTS/CTS value and was having issues with my satellites (as discussed elsewhere on this thread). Partly it's because two of us rely on this system for work and therefore I can't risk it falling over in the middle of the day, I'm not willing to just wait and see if it fails so wanted to reboot it "out of hours" before the memory usage became critical.

The RBR is connected to a Virgin Media Hub 4 (ISP router, I am based in the UK). I'm running one wired RBS and one wireless RBS and memory usage on those devices remains stable.

Message 267 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

@Garwoofoo wrote:

Yes, the RBR continues to work as normal.

I haven't let the memory usage get past about 700MB yet. Partly this is because I wanted to reboot the system anyway because I was changing the RTS/CTS value and was having issues with my satellites (as discussed elsewhere on this thread). Partly it's because two of us rely on this system for work and therefore I can't risk it falling over in the middle of the day, I'm not willing to just wait and see if it fails so wanted to reboot it "out of hours" before the memory usage became critical.

The RBR is connected to a Virgin Media Hub 4 (ISP router, I am based in the UK). I'm running one wired RBS and one wireless RBS and memory usage on those devices remains stable. Do you still see this creep if both RBS are wireless and not mix connected? Just throwing out some ideas here. I haven't seen this on mine, however both RBS are either wireless or wire connected. I have mixed connected mine. There currently wireless. 

Message 268 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Do you still see this creep if both RBS are wireless and not mix connected? Just throwing out some ideas here. I haven't seen this on mine, however both RBS are either wireless or wire connected. I have mixed connected mine. There currently wireless. 

Sorry, but in this instance I am a bit limited in the testing I can do - the wired satellite is in a location where it would not get a very good wireless signal. But we need that satellite functioning for various purposes including heavy work usage. I don't think I could get away with moving it or making it less effective for the amount of time it would take to troubleshoot this issue.

Maybe there are other users in this thread who have a mixed pair of satellites that could tell you whether they have the memory creep issue?

Message 269 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

And what host router is your RBR connected as I believe you said yours is in AP mode as well? 

How are your RBS connected? 

Wondering if there is something going on with AP mode since you and @Garwoofoo are seeing this memory creep while in AP Mode...

@cdp1276 wrote:

Yes, up 30 days and at 581mb. Scroll back and I have posted multiple times on this.

Message 270 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

@Garwoofoo wrote:

Sorry, but in this instance I am a bit limited in the testing I can do - the wired satellite is in a location where it would not get a very good wireless signal. But we need that satellite functioning for various purposes including heavy work usage. I don't think I could get away with moving it or making it less effective for the amount of time it would take to troubleshoot this issue.

Maybe there are other users in this thread who have a mixed pair of satellites that could tell you whether they have the memory creep issue? OK no worries, I'll see if I can try this on mine. 

Message 271 of 460
57ay
Apprentice

No issue for me at 22 days
See attached pic, hope this helps.

Thx
Message 272 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your RBR in and is IPv6 enabled or disabled if the RBR is in router mode? 

@57ay wrote:
No issue for me at 22 days
See attached pic, hope this helps.

Thx

Message 273 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

@Garwoofoo @cdp1276 Would you be willing to capture some debug logs next time you restarted your RBRs? 

Message 274 of 460
57ay
Apprentice

RBR is in router mode and IPv6 is disabled.

Thanks
Message 275 of 460
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7