Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New firmware for ORBI RBKE960

atiq020
Aspirant

New firmware for ORBI RBKE960

why we force to upload any new firmware Manually? we spend £1600 for these and not all are computer expert ? i heard download satellites first and then router  and this is only possible when we do satellite first manually? 

so today i going to upload new firmware correct me if i am wrong please because i did automatic on previous fw and mess all so i am doing today following steps

1------my satellites are working WIFI WITH ROUTER  and i connect my satellite with Ethernet cable  download firmware on my laptop and upload on satellite  and same procedure with 2nd satellite

(CONNECTION BETWEEN SATELLITE AND ROUTER ARE WIFI  ) 

2---Router and laptop are on WIFI and upload firmware   automatic is that ok 

thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: New firmware for ORBI RBKE960

There are some familiar sayings along the lines of....

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

"Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread."

In the normal course of things, new firmware appears on the Netgear support site well before customers become aware of it through either the Orbi 'app' or the Orbi web browser interface.  There are some people who check the support site frequently and are eager to install the "latest and greatest".  Far too often, posts begin appearing on the community forum that begin with...
I updated the firmware and NOW (something awful has happened).  HELP!"

Thus, many regular forum participants prefer to "wait and see".  If their system appears to be working as it should, what do they gain by rushing to install new firmware?

For quite some time, Netgear had a practice of silently pushing new firmware to systems without notice. This caused huge turmoil when several firmware updates were botched in 2022, so the latest firmware for the AX systems introduced a new "feature": an option to disable automatic firmware updates.

I have never seen statistics, but it is abundantly clear that a significant number of customers pay no attention to what firmware is on their system.  They never open the Orbi app or the web interface.  (Why should they?  They have work to do.  Lives to live.)

I watched very closely when new firmware was announced for my old RBR50 in April of 2022.  Neither the app nor the web interface detected it.  After about a month, suddenly they said, "New firmware available." I ignored it.  During the summer, one day I checked the router and it had updated during the night.  Clearly enough time had gone by that Netgear decided the chances of something going wrong were minimal and "pulled the trigger."

On the new AX systems, if customers have not selected the option to prevent automatic firmware updates, then this is what is likely to happen to them.

It's your choice. 

• "Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead. Let the fun begin."
  • "Don't you touch MY system.  I will decide when to update firmware. ME."
  • "Do whatever you're going to do, Netgear."

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Mine have all automatically updated when I have it set that way and they're hardwired in.

I prefer to disable mine though. Reason why is when we see corrupt firmware on here its usually because someone updated over wifi or automatically. Its extremely rare to see someone with a corrupt firmware issue that did it manually. 

To us it seems like a lot but its pretty rare to see the corrupt firmware issue. Its just seems like it because we're on the forums a lot. 

Message 2 of 6
atiq020
Aspirant

I agreed with you before when i am not join this forum i always update my FW automatically , since i seen this forum  i bit confused.  

so shall i try upload Automatically ? my both satellites  are GOOD BH  plz adivsed

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

If they're both working fine, I'd leave it. 

Don't fix what isn't broken. 

Message 4 of 6
atiq020
Aspirant

You mean "don't update the firmware?"

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

There are some familiar sayings along the lines of....

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

"Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread."

In the normal course of things, new firmware appears on the Netgear support site well before customers become aware of it through either the Orbi 'app' or the Orbi web browser interface.  There are some people who check the support site frequently and are eager to install the "latest and greatest".  Far too often, posts begin appearing on the community forum that begin with...
I updated the firmware and NOW (something awful has happened).  HELP!"

Thus, many regular forum participants prefer to "wait and see".  If their system appears to be working as it should, what do they gain by rushing to install new firmware?

For quite some time, Netgear had a practice of silently pushing new firmware to systems without notice. This caused huge turmoil when several firmware updates were botched in 2022, so the latest firmware for the AX systems introduced a new "feature": an option to disable automatic firmware updates.

I have never seen statistics, but it is abundantly clear that a significant number of customers pay no attention to what firmware is on their system.  They never open the Orbi app or the web interface.  (Why should they?  They have work to do.  Lives to live.)

I watched very closely when new firmware was announced for my old RBR50 in April of 2022.  Neither the app nor the web interface detected it.  After about a month, suddenly they said, "New firmware available." I ignored it.  During the summer, one day I checked the router and it had updated during the night.  Clearly enough time had gone by that Netgear decided the chances of something going wrong were minimal and "pulled the trigger."

On the new AX systems, if customers have not selected the option to prevent automatic firmware updates, then this is what is likely to happen to them.

It's your choice. 

• "Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead. Let the fun begin."
  • "Don't you touch MY system.  I will decide when to update firmware. ME."
  • "Do whatever you're going to do, Netgear."
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7