Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI 42 RBR350, D-Link DSL-X1852E connected to VOIP phone. Need ORBI to boost Wi-Fi to living area.

Seeker2024
Aspirant

ORBI 42 RBR350, D-Link DSL-X1852E connected to VOIP phone. Need ORBI to boost Wi-Fi to living area.

Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045

ISP provided Modem/Router D-Link DSL-X1852E, does ADSL, VDSL, Fiber. It is attached to Fiber ONT box, controls VOIP phone. Wi-Fi.signal insufficient to reach living areas.

Own equipment ORBI42, RBR350, and satellite RBS350, Firmware updated to v20.0.4

Neither advised nor asked by ISP agent where ONT was located, or that D-Link had to be sited close to living areas.

Our ONT box is at far end of the house, since installers had to drill under concrete from the road, avoiding Council underground services, eg stormwater, sewer connections. All living areas are at the far end of the house.

Earlier attempts to use the ORBIs to carry Wi-Fi have resulted in loss of the VOIP phone connection. Is there any way I can use the ORBIs to provide Wi-Fi to living areas without it affecting the phone connection that has to remain connected to the D-Link. I am backing up (config files), for every change I make to the D-Link.

As you can tell my technical knowledge is limited. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI 42 RBR350, D-Link DSL-X1852E connected to VOIP phone. Need ORBI to boost Wi-Fi to living ar

Let us know how it all turns out. 

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI 42 RBR350, D-Link DSL-X1852E connected to VOIP phone. Need ORBI to boost Wi-Fi to living ar

Some brief notes:

• It appears that the Orbi system consists of one RBR350 router and one RBS350 satellite, which are using the default WiFi credentials printed on the product label (ORBI42 for the WiFi 'name' and the password printed on the product label on the bottom of the router), correct?
  • The most current firmware for the Orbi 350 system is version 4.4.1.29
    https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr350/#download 
    Thus firmware 20.0.4 is referring to..... ???
  • It appears that the D-Link WiFi router is located at one end of the house next to the fiber ONT, correct?

Where is the Orbi RBR350 located and how is it connected to the D-Link router?

How are the telephones connected to the D-Link phone jacks?

How is the RBS350 satellite connected to the RBR350 (using the default WiFi connection? or, using an Ethernet cable?)

Do you require any of the specific internet applications that are affected by what is known as a "Double NAT" condition?
(do an internet search for "Double NAT".  Typical applications are things such as sharing local servers on the internet, providing access to local devices from the internet, and certain types of internet gaming)  Most people are not affected by this, and it allows less complicated configurations.

Message 2 of 8
Seeker2024
Aspirant

• I am not using the default WiFi credentials printed on the product label as I had changed name and password sometime ago with an earlier ISP. As each ISP was taken over by other companies, I continued using my personal name and password.
  • Before setting up the equipment again, I used the firmware update option in case of fixes etc - png attached.
  • Location of D-Link is correct.
  • Currently, the ORBI RBR350 is not connected to the D-Link. I have tried using ethernet cable plugged into my laptop, or D-Link LAN port with the intention of using it as an Access Point, but before I could do anything the VOIP phone (Panasonic Answering system with 3 cordless hand sets) immediately stops working.
  • The back of the D-Link has 2 ordinary telephone ports. The power cable of the phone goes into protected power box, the jack goes into the D-Link port. When connected and working the phone LED on the D-Link is green. Prior ISPs just required the jack to go into a phone jack on the ONT box.
  • The back of the D-Link has 2 ordinary telephone ports. The power cable of the phone goes into protected power box, the jack goes into the D-Link port. When connected and working the phone LED on the D-Link is green. Prior ISPs just required the jack to go into a phone jack on the ONT box
  • .Satellite links to ORBI by Wi-Fi
  • I am unaware of the need for NAT or Double NAT applications
  • Unfortunately, I can only attach 1 file. Although the company will provide no support as soon as any other product other then the D-Link is to be used, they did send a list of settings headed "For Fibre" with the most important ones in Bold. I have only listed those in Bold

Interface                                      Ethernet WAN Interface the supports 802.1Q Encapsulation

1.      VLAN Tagged                       Disabled
  2.       VLAN ID                               N/A 
  3.       My Internet Connection is     PPPoE 
  4.       Username                             user@pulse
  5.       Password                              Password1

Hope this is OK, Thanks.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

To make this easier, I would use the D-Link as your host router and ISP modem interface, disable ALL Wi-Fi radios on the D-Link system, and configure the Orbi system for AP mode and use it to help boost your Wi-Fi signal and be the main Wi-Fi signal source. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 4 of 8
Seeker2024
Aspirant

Hi, Sorry for slowness in response. Have to work around others' needs with either access to internet or access to phone.

I think you have provided the information I need. The last hurdle - I think ISP has special arrangement with fibre support company as to what is coming through the ONT box.
I now need to contact them to see if it is possible to change back to same setting at our address as we had in the past with all our other ISPs. (not us changing them, but other companies amalgamating or being bought out by bigger fish)..

Once I am sure, I can set the ORBIs up as your per your solutions - YouTube excellent, restart everything, plug in the phone and hopefully be fully functional again.

I have learned a lot from you regardless. Thank you!

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it all turns out. 

Good luck.

Message 6 of 8
Seeker2024
Aspirant

Took a while -fighting with trying to get OneDrive off my system - Sorry for the delay. All good. Others will also find this very helpful.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7