Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Frequent disconnects

RyMun
Aspirant

ORBI Frequent disconnects

What is going on with the intermittent disconnects? Was working great for first 3 months, there were no new devices or significant changes to the system. A couple of months ago the Orbi RBR750 was disconnecting maybe once or twice a week. About 3 weeks now it's been happening several times a day.

I got to say the forums and comments online surrounding the "intermittent disconnects" is very concerning. I've verified it's not isp as i stopped using the ORBI and went right back to my modem and it's radio wifi, which sucks and has zero coverage, but it doesn't disconnect, and is reliable.. So it's Orbi. 

It seems to be a gradual degradation. People have tried to provide support regarding the sq ft, modem bridging etc, but it's simple:

-There was a point for significant amount of time it was great.

-I'm comm's tech, I know my wires are good.
-When orbi was online, modem wifi was turned off, RBR was only device plugged into modem, one computer hard-lined to RBR, Wifi up, satellite appropriate coverage radius. 

Im sadly disappointed as coverage in my suite has been a goal I've been trying to conquer for some time, Orbi definitely fixed that. But the intermittent outage makes it extremely unreliable, and I can see from the myriad of posts on reddit and tech sites that have tried to provide solutions that I have walked into a serious flaw.

Tomorrow I will try a hard reset, but I have a feeling this is in firmware or the hardware itself. I don't have time for this so will be moving on, just wanted to donate the time to give feedback. 

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.

Message 2 of 4
RyMun
Aspirant

latest firmware V4.6.11.1 

-ISP is rock solid, SHAW been with them for 10+ years and run business internet.
-Modem = Hitron CODA-4582, replaced 3 years ago, working fine and easily manageable. 

-2.4ghz is already set on ch1 (least populated) 

-5ghz is ch48 (least populated) 

location of satellite is fine and within parameters. majority of devices run on main room router anyway. neighbouring wifi is inconsequential, no newcomers.

Orbi made things complicated on its own, everything was working just fine for a few weeks. Slowly but surely it got worse. Now orbi router fumbles its internet connection 12 times a day. 

Network has been restarted many times. 

Message 3 of 4
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello RyMun,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having connectivity issues with your RBR750. Changing your RBR750 to router mode has been proven to fix interim disconnects in similar cases. Please change your RBR750 to AP mode to resolve your interim disconnection issues.

Below I have included a guide on how to change your RBR750 to AP mode:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Please keep me updated on the progress of this issue!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7