5LO
Aspirant
Aspirant

ORBI RBR 750 Will Not Update Firmware Automatically or Manually

Hello all,

I have the RBK753 Router/Sat Setup

• (1) RBR 750 - Router
  • (3) RBS 750 - Sat

All was working fine and then I lost internet connection.

I did check with my ISP and its not the modem, which is a Netgear CM1000

• I reset the modem, using paperclip reset button
  • Connected a standalone laptop just the modem and internet works fine
  • Netgear CM1000 modem is not the issue

Now I'm having an issue with a RBR 750 and updating the routers firmware per the phone support persons recommendation to update to  the latest version. 

The firmware currently on the router is V3.2.16.22

• Support recommneded that uplug all of the sats and just work with the router so we limit the variables
    • RBR 750 Router was unplugged for 5 minutes before starting the proces
    • Plugged in the RBR 750 waited for the light to go green then used the paperclip and pressed the reset button for 10 seconds. The green light turned to Amber and I waited until it turned green then waited another 10 minutes to make sure that it booted up.
    • I hooked a single laptop to the RBR 750 router  and was able to logon to the web interface using 192.168.1.1
    • Went into the Administration->Firmware menu and clicked on the update firmware link at the top of screen.
    • It stated, downloading update, then stated update failed
    • The phone tech suggested to manually update the firmware, but it instead of updating to the latest they had me try the next firmware version up from what I have, which is 3.2.17.12
      • Downloading and unzipped that version to my pc, selected the manual update tab and selected the firmware version which the filename ended in a .chk extenstion (~44,805 KB in size)
      • Clicked on update and it stated that the updated failed check file is correct which we verified 3 times
      • I've multiple FW updates, the latest, the current, one version up, one version down rev, but they all fail to update
      • I also tried downloading the FW from a friends computer and placing it on USB Keyfob, same result.
    • Phone tech recommended that I go to Adminstration->Backup->Erase (which resets the router back to factory defaults)
      • The router rebooted, but when it came back up, I tried going to any website and all it brings up is the download Orbi App website.
      • I tried installing it via the Orbi App again, but it does not see the router now
      • I tried using 192.168.1.1 which justs brings me back to the Orbi App Screen.
      • I check my cable modem again with just the latop hooked ot it and it works fine
      • I check the networks cables
    • When I asked the phone tech what should the next steps be there was no answer and I lost the tech.

At this point I'm at a loss as to what to do to bring my router back online.

Would be very greatly for any advice

All of the my devices are Netgear, I've used nothing but Netgear for the past 10 years really without little or no issue. This is the first time I've been stumped with an issue. The Orbi was working great untill I lost internet connection.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR 750 Will Not Update Firmware Automatically or Manually

What do you mean when "All was working fine and then I lost internet connection"? Does both wired and wireless loose internet access? 

Does the front LED turn on PINK when this happens? 

Do you still have access to the RBRs web page when this happens? 

Message 2 of 8
5LO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

• Lost both wired and wireless connections
  • The router, after the factory reset only strobed white then goes solid white and never goes out, so the router never shows up via the web interface or iOS app.
    • It's been solid white for over 24Hrs now, performed the factory reset on the back of the router several times with the same results.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you update the RBS FW manually using a wired PC and sat FireFox web browser logged into the RBS web page and send the FW there? Be sure to clear out all browser caches and disable all browser security add-ons if there is any enabled.

You might try same thing on RBR after RBS are updated, have the FW file for the RBR on the wired PC. Disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem. Might try a factory reset here on the RBR only. Get thru the setup wizard. Don't add RBS. Once on the home page of the RBR, go in and send the FW file to the RBR. 

Message 4 of 8
5LO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!

• I did try and hook a pc/latop up the router directly without the cable modem in the loop
  • I removed the sats and only focused on the router and just trying to get it back online
  • I did try Firefox, Chrome, & MS Edge I did make sure that they cache/cookies were cleared
  • I tried to long onto the router via the orbilogin site or the default IP, but I can no longer access the router using either of these routes.
  • I just tried and factory reset using the paperclip method again, but the light just stays solid white and never goes. according to the documentation a solid white light indicates that the router is still booting, but as mentioned earlier it's been in that state for over 24Hrs
  • I tried using the paperclip reset method on the router as standalone as well, no ethernet cables connected
  • At this point I can't even get to any of the GUIs to even access the menu to try and manually update the FW.

Thanks for your time!

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Id either contact NG support for additional help and information. Ask about an RMA or return the system from where you got it. 

Message 6 of 8
5LO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

👍