ORBI RBR350 (router) and Orbi Satellite ethernet ports not functional

My main setup :

- Netgear modem D6200

- Netgear Orbi RBR350 + 1 Satellite

- Netgear powerline 1200

- PC windows 10

- NAS Synology

Hi everyone,

I bought an Orbi pack more than one year ago in order to have a full effective wifi coverage in my apartment. It is working well and I have no issues on that part.

Back then,  I tried to remove completely my former D6200 and operate only from the orbi (I have an internet cable connection). For various reason, I didn't spend enough time to get into the setup, and after several unsuccesful attempts, I left the D6200 as the main internet provider to my setup (2 PCs, one laptop, 1 NAS, an HIFI Streamer connected through powerline, and a printer), and used the Orbi only as wifi (disconnecting of course the wifi from the DS6200).

I recently decided to plug in a HIkvision camera to the ethernet port of the Orbi satellite. When directly connected to an ethernet port of the PC, the camera is well reckognised and functional.

However, when connected to the ethernet port of the satellite, the Orbi app sees the camera, but I cannot acces it from my software (through the NAS) and the included soft of HIKVision (SADPTOOL) neither. Same issue when I try to connect it to the Orbi router.

So I decided to take it further, and switched all connections from the DS 6200 to the ORBI RBR350.

1- I connected to internet cable to the internet connector of the router. The wifi worked.

2- Then I plugged my PC to the  router through ethernet. It didn't work right away, but after several attempts (plug in and out on several plugs) it finaly worked.

3- Then I plugged the NAS, then a ethernet HUB (also netgear), connected to the laptop, printer, and camera. 

4- I did all this without rebooting any of the devices.

5- At that point, all my deviced were visible on the mobile Orbi app and on the orbi router page from the PC browser. However, none of them were accessible (printer, NAS, camera). So only the wifi and the wire connexion to the main PC were functional.

6- I decided to reboot all the devices, and PC. That's when I also lost my wire connexion to the PC. Could'nt get it back.

7- So I checked the firmware of the orbi, downloaded to last version. No change.

8- Finally I reseted to factory settings the Orbi, reinstalled the app and setup. And at this point, not only everything was still not functional, but I also lost the internet cable connexion :))))))).

9- I did all this after and while reading info on internet, but nothing helped.

10- So I went back to my initial setting : DS6200 for ethernet and internet connexion, and Orbi for wifi.

Frustration is at a maximum as you can imagine.

But still, my 2 issues are not soved : 

a- why my camera is not functional from the ethernet port of the satellite

b- Why most of the ethernet ports of the router are not functional, or randomly  ?

Sorry for this long story, I wanted to give you a detailed description. 

I didn't talked to the Netgear support yet, my experience is that often, the community react quicker and more efficiently than the support team.

Have a nice Sunday,

Jérôme 

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR350 (router) and Orbi Satellite ethernet ports not functional

The D6200 is a combination DSL modem/router/WiFi device.  It is important to know how it is connected to the Internet Service Provider (ISP): https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D6200/D6200_IG_NA_Cover+Interior_20Oct2014.pdf 

Does it connect to a phone splitter or using an Ethernet cable?  (If it connects to a phone splitter, then it cannot be removed.)

In general, when adding a new router, every device should connect to the new router.  This keeps them all on one local area network (IP subnet) where they can all "see" and communicate with each other.

Message 2 of 7
Jerome_Labla
Aspirant

Thanks for your quick answer.

The D6200 is connected through an Ethernet cable, not phone splitter.

I wonder if there can be any consequences on the fact that the Hikvision camera is not functional when connected to the ethernet port of the Orbi Satellite  (though the mapping on the orbi mob app shows it) ?

Another information : the camera has a fixed IP 192.168.0.30. But in the mapping of the orbi mobile app, it shows 192.168.0.64.

Jérôme

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jerome_Labla wrote:

The D6200 is connected through an Ethernet cable, not phone splitter.

In this case, the D6200 can be removed, leaving a single router (the Orbi), with every device connected to it.

Static IP address is a bit ambiguous.

• The traditional meaning is that the user has configured this IP address on the physical device itself.  In this case, the device will accept only communications directed to that specific IP address.   And, the IP subnet and gateway IPs have to be set correctly for the device to know how to communicate with other devices.
  • What most Orbi users do is define a Reserved Address using the LAN Setup table in the router web interface.  That way, when the device is powered on and uses the DHCP process to request an IP address, we can be confident that it will always get the same address from the router.  There are some nuances in this process.  Reserved Addresses should be separate from the "pool" of IP addresses used for other device.  Also, Orbi's have a quirky DHCP mechanism and sometimes devices stubbornly keep using the same IP address until the router itself is turned off and on again.  (A chore that I hate to do.)

I would try setting the camera to use DHCP to get an IP address like everything else does.

Message 4 of 7
Jerome_Labla
Aspirant

Thanks again.

Duly noted regarding the camera connexion. I guess this is the issue I am facing. 

I did change the IP adress to a fixed one, because first I used the camera connected through a powerline plug (+wire connexion). And I used the synology interface to monitor it. It was recommanded to do so. 

Your explanation is very logical, and I will try to do so. Would you recommend any literrature/document I could read in this respect ?

Regarding the using of the ORBI instead of the D6200, this is what I intended to do, disconnecting completely the D6200 from my setup. But as explained in my first message, the internet connexion became unstable (sometimes working sometimes not), and all the other devices connected to the ethernet ports were visible from the orbi mobile app/orbi intereface within a PC browser. BUT connexion were not functional (couldn't print or access the NAS). 

The NAS has also a fixed IP address, as well as the ethernet Hub. It has never been an issue when connected through the D6200.

regards

Jérôme

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Moving devices with Static IPs from one network to another can create unexpected problems.  For example:

• It appears that the D6200 was using 192.168.0.x as the IP subnet.
  • Orbi routers typically define the LAN subnet as 192.168.1.x.
  • Thus, if a NAS with a Static IP of 192.168.0.XX is placed on an Orbi LAN that is defined as 192.168.1.x, devices told to connect to 192.168.0.XX will think, "that cannot be on the same subnet as I am, so I'll have to ask the Gateway to forward packets to that device."  And, the NAS will say, "hmm. 192.168.1.something cannot be on the same subnet as I am, so I'll have to ask the Gateway to forward packets to wherever that is."

Probably would be  good idea to verify that every device on the network is in the same IP subnet.

Message 6 of 7
Jerome_Labla
Aspirant

Again thanks a lot. Pretty much sure you are all wright about this subnet issue. And I do remember that I fixed all the main IPs of my devices because I had conflicts issues with the DHCP.

I will try that. Pretty much sure it will solve everything.

I will let you know. 

Regards 

Jérôme 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7