Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR850 - Separate 2.4 and 5.0 GHz Names

erichsea
Follower

ORBI RBR850 - Separate 2.4 and 5.0 GHz Names

April 2023..  and I see requests for this feature from 2020 have not been answered?

I just purchased a new Homewerks 110CFM Smart Fan with Bluetooth Speakers and Alexa Built-In.   Ok, with Alexa built in one would this this is atleast B+ average on the smarts scale.  But, come to find out, this device touted as new in Spring of 2023 can't operated on WiFi mesh networks if the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz channels have the same name.

Simple, out of the more than 176 devices in my home, which is completely Alexa enabled, (every light switch, Dyson room fan, Roomba vacuum, Hue outdoor lights...  home home even checks to see when my car arrives home if it's dumb driver forgot to lock the doors.)

So, come to find out that while my home is smart, my new router isn't smart enough to offer it's 2.4 + 5.0 AX feature in away that is backwards compatible?  What??

Ok, so at least give me the power to tailor my offerings to the least intelligent kid in the classroom by offering them an alternative (which would be offered to every kid in the classroom that prefferred it...)  a 2.4 GHz channel with it's very own name!

But no!  Netgear, shame on you...  requests have been coming in since 2020 for this feature.

What, aren't you smart enough to be able to offer this feature?  Or are you just going to be the school yard bully and beat up on anyone that wants to play in this schoolyard.

If you say you support 2.4, then you better support every variation of 2.4 that this community needs.  And that includes providing users with the ability to make our networks truly accessible to all the semi-smart device kids iot things we want to support in our home communities.

Or give me a reason why your version of IOT segregation is the right thing to do.

Message 1 of 3

Re: ORBI RBR850 - Separate 2.4 and 5.0 GHz Names

@erichsea wrote:

Or give me a reason why your version of IOT segregation is the right thing to do.

Netgear does not have any fancy "version of IOT segregation" that gets in the way of your IoT gadgets. Nor does it have any special type of 2.4 GHz. Netgear just uses Mesh wifi, like many other brands.

Perhaps your misunderstanding is getting in the way of making things to work.

There have been many many messages here explaining what you can do. They boil down to a crummy software that comes with your IoT stuff. It will only work when the app connects to a 2.4 GHz wifi. Better apps are happy to work on Mesh networks.

Many, many people have connected devices using a simple and temporary fix that does not break the whole reason for buying a Mesh wifi system.

Most IoT things work on 2.4 GHz. They will not see, and cannot connect to, 5 GHz wifi.

Makers of IoT devices often use an app on a mobile device to set up the thing. Mobile devices usually connect to 5 GHz wifi and don't let you choose 2.4 GHz. Poorly designed apps fall over because they cannot handle installation using a mobile connected to 5 GHz wifi while the IoT toy is on 2.4 GHz.

A widely used strategy that works for many people is to forget about separate SSIDs and to follow this strategy:

1. Go into your Orbi's wifi set up
  2. Disable broadcast of 5 GHz SSID
  3. Tell the mobile device to forget the connection to that SSID
  4. Reboot the mobile device
  5. Connect to the SSID
  6. Set up the IoT device
  7. Go back and reverse step 2

You may be able to miss out steps 3 and 4, depending on your phone and the app.

This approach has worked for many people.

Here is another lead from way back when:

Re: v2.5.0.38 undoes SSD split - is there a fix? - NETGEAR Communities

Re: Installing my Govee wireless system - NETGEAR Communities

There's a lot more where they came from.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR850 - Separate 2.4 and 5.0 GHz Names

Orbi systems do not support separation of SSIDs. Never have. NGs intended design for MESH systems. 

Orbi 9 series is the only model Orbi that has a configurable IOT wifi network. Good things are on the horizon for other Orbi AX models. 

@erichsea 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7