Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBRE960 IPv6 Firewall Settings

novasbc
Aspirant

ORBI RBRE960 IPv6 Firewall Settings

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to edit any IPv6 firewall settings.  It seems to be set to filter all packets incoming (secure by default which is great) when you aren't using IPv6 passthrough.  But, I don't have any way of allowing data for any specific ports in - like for www/plex/etc.

It works fine if I put it in passthrough, but that assumes that every device on the inside is running a decent firewall, so goes away from "secure by default".

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, thanks to those on the forum that posted success with this setup and starlink by using an inline switch.  It's super janky, but I lost 5 hours before finding those posts.  I was able to use a simple unmanaged gigabit switch in between and things are working fine now.

I was going to use my original nighthawk router as the router/firewall, because it was working fine, and didn't have the weird issues getting IPs, but there was some strange conflict, every time my (older) nighthawk router came online, I started getting terrible packet loss to the RBRE960 (in AP mode, on a different IP).

Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBRE960 IPv6 Firewall Settings

There is probably an interesting reason to want IPv6 access to LAN resources rather than IPv4 access?

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

What is the model# of the NG router? 

When the Orbi is in AP mode, you would configure any firewall rules on the host router, not the RBR in AP mode. 

Message 3 of 10
novasbc
Aspirant

For one: each of my computers gets a public IP and I don't have to deal with bass-ackwards NAT.

But specific to my instance I'm behind CGNAT so there's no way to get rid of double NAT!

People nowadays mostly don't remember when IPv4 was like this, it's generally thought of as NAT as "good" thing instead of a crutch.

In the 90s I had small subnet of routable IPs for my house, it was awesome.
Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

please check your private messages.

Message 5 of 10
novasbc
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

What is the model# of the NG router? 

When the Orbi is in AP mode, you would configure any firewall rules on the host router, not the RBR in AP mode. 

* Firmware: First thing I did was install the latest firmware: V6.3.7.10_3.3.3

* ISP: Starlink Gen 2 square dish with modem in bypass mode

** Have used multiple cables between the modem and the router when I was diagnosing the original problem with starlink (that @junior0415 provided a workaround which also worked for me)

* Netgear RBRE960

I'm definitely aware that if I had my orbi in AP mode, the firewall would be either ineffective or disabled.  I'm currently running the RBRE960 as the router.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for the details and confirming the configuration. 

Message 7 of 10
robdogaz
Aspirant

How do I turn off firewall in general on this model? I have so many problems connecting to work VPN
Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@robdogaz wrote:
How do I turn off firewall in general on this model? I have so many problems connecting to work VPN

Sometimes adding another topic at the end of a post from a month ago does not attract attention.  It is often more productive to begin a new conversation.

The only method for disabling the Orbi firewall is to put it into Access Point (AP) mode behind a different router.  This removes all sorts of features, including the firewall.  This only works if the Orbi is actually connected to a router, rather than a simple "modem."

It might help to describe the problem in more detail.  In general, residential routers are not aware what devices are doing when they connect to the internet.  They see a secured connection to some internet IP address, but they cannot "see into" any of the packets.  There must be millions of people using various VPN services (Express VPN, NordVPN, etc. etc.) behind routers.  I, myself, tested NordVPN  with my Orbi. (meh. more trouble than it was worth.)  For work, use of VPN is obviously a requirement.  What do the IT folks at work say about your issues?

Message 9 of 10
robdogaz
Aspirant

Actually your response was very helpful and I fixed my issue.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7