Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

One computer on network suddenly unable to connect to internet, although is connected to network

CatchMeCory
Follower

One computer on network suddenly unable to connect to internet, although is connected to network

I have the RBR750 mesh with router and satelittes. Suddenly today one laptop in the house cannot get internet although is connected to the Orbi network. When I disconnect from the Orbi network and connect to another router connected to the fiber modem internet service to the laptop is restored. So it's not an issue with network card in the laptop but the Orbi blocking internet access to this one device. On my mobile app under device manager this laptop has not been "paused" for internet access. So I'm at a loss. 

In short, this device will connect to the internet through routers other than the Orbi, but will connect to the Orbi network but not to the internet through it.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: One computer on network suddenly unable to connect to internet, although is connected to network

It may be that devices connecting to one of your Orbi satellites are disconnected whereas other devices connected to the base are fine, i.e., it's not specific to this device.  Test this theory by powering down the satellites and connect again to the Orbi network.

Do you have multiple routers setup or is your Orbi in Access Point mode?  If the Orbi is routing behind another router and you have Double Nat then that may be exacerbating issues.  Also try eliminating this by using only one router or putting your Orbi in AP mode.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: One computer on network suddenly unable to connect to internet, although is connected to network

If you're fibre service has its own wifi, its has its own routing functions and causes a double nat. Not all devices play well with a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7