Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Opinions on network design

wildeit
Aspirant

Opinions on network design

Hello,

I was hoping someone may advice on net work design and/or confirm/deny the cause of a possible issue.

I have a client with a Orbi RBK353 system, 1 router, 2 satellites.

Due to constraints with ability to cable between all Orbis, the network design is as below:

Internet <--- Cat6 ---> Orbi Router <--- Wireless ---> Satellite 1 <--- Cat6 ---> Satellite 2 (out of range of router)

I appreciate this is probably not the ideal set up, though it does work.... most of the time.

They're now experiencing an issue where fairly regularly, the Satellites stop connecting to the Orbi Router. The internet is still absolutely fine as connecting directly to the Orbi Router works, but any connections to either of the Satellites fails.
Restarting the Orbi's sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. The only *guaranteed* way of getting the entire system online is to switch both satellites off, then switch satellite 1 on and once that's online switch satellite 2 on. 
This, to me, is very much pointing the finger at the fact the satellite's have an ethernet backhaul between them directly, but satellite 1 is connected to the router via Wireless backhaul ... it's as if the Satellites are prioritising the cabled connection, "forgetting" entirely about the Wireless connection to the router.... could this be right?

Yes, of course putting a cable in between the router and satellite 1 would be the ideal solution, but not really feasible at this time. 
If anyone is able to offer any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 2
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Opinions on network design

Hello @wildeit ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having issues with the network connection between your router and your satellite. Issues like these are usually observed when the satellite has a different firmware than the router. Please ensure your satellites and router are on the same firmware. Secondly, switch your 2nd satellite with the first satellite and check if you are still having the network connection issue between your router and your satellite. This issue may be device-dependent. 

(Please post the satellite and router model so I can provide additional resources.) 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7