Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 860 can’t connect to my western digital nas

SonicGT
Aspirant

Orbi 860 can’t connect to my western digital nas

I had an old Orbi system and decided to upgrade. For the most part everything worked fine. But while it sees my NAS which is connected to an Ethernet port on the router I can’t connect to it. I can’t ping the ip or get to it at all. Under the upnp page it shows it in the routing but I can’t access it in any way
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi 860 can’t connect to my western digital nas

Trying to connect to the NAS

• From a device on the same LAN, or
  • From a remote device?
Message 2 of 10
SonicGT
Aspirant

Sorry forgot to get that specific
Local network. I tried wireless in the same Wi-Fi network first then tried to hardwire my laptop to Orbi as well so both were Ethernet and same issue.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Is the NAS connected directly to the Orbi router Ethernet port, or through a switch of some kind?

I forget how Western Digital NAS systems are managed: is it through a web interface? or an "app" that goes out and finds the NAS?

Message 4 of 10
SonicGT
Aspirant

It’s connected directly to the Orbi. I used to have a switch with my old Orbi since it only had 1 port but now with the 860 I eliminated the switch completely.
The wdnas I have uses a web console.

As a troubleshooting step to make sure my nas didn’t die. I plugged my pc and nas into my old switch off my network completely and was able to get to it. So I know the nas is still good
Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

There have been posts on the forum regarding issues with Ethernet ports on various Orbi models.

It is simply goofy that the Orbi Attached Devices page would show the NAS as connected with an IP address, but not able to be reached.

The NAS receives the LAN IP address from the router using DHCP, correct?  (not set on the NAS system itself as a Static IP)

Message 6 of 10
SonicGT
Aspirant

Yeah the nas is set to dhcp. I’ll try to plug my switch back in to see if it makes a difference going through there to the Orbi. And report back
Message 7 of 10
SonicGT
Aspirant

Tried plugging my switch back in between Orbi and the nas and same results still nothing
Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

The Ethernet module on Orbi routers is the oldest and most stable piece of electronics in the box.  That 4-port module has been around forever and is included in dozens (hundreds?) of Netgear products.  Traffic on the LAN subnet gets switched between ports without ever going into the 'guts' of the router at all.  There are posts on the forum talking about issues with the 960 product which has only three gigabit ports plus one 2.5Gbps port.

There have been issues reported about "switches" in the sense that many of the unmanaged include a form of IGMP Snooping that doesn't work exactly right.  This causes devices which rely on Internet Group Management Protocol to fail when devices scan for servers and the switch does not report "there's one here."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGMP_snooping 

Your connection is directly from the PC to the NAS and does not rely on IGMP to find the NAS.

I don't know if the default for WD NAS is to respond to ICMP (ping) or not.  On Windows, the Firewall has to be told to respond.  Since the NAS responded before, this should be another "nothing changed".

Message 9 of 10
SonicGT
Aspirant

It will or at least used to respond to ping with my previous Orbi in use.
The odd thing is now when I try to ping it using the ip shown in the Orbi app. 192.168.1.4. I get it telling me no response but shows a diffeeent ip of 192.168.1.6. So something in the Orbi is doing something strange it seems
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7