Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 960 -- disconnects, etc

tylerwhite
Aspirant

Orbi 960 -- disconnects, etc

I "upgraded" from an RBR50 with 3 satellites to a 960 with 3 satellites and it has been a terrible experience in virtually every way.  Every new unit has been placed in the exact same location as the old RBR50's (which are no longer present...just clarifying!)

1 - Moving around my property results in dropouts and then trying to get back on the wifi is problematic.  It no longer is seamless.  Sometimes iPhones and iPads just "spin" trying to reconnect, sometimes it says "bad password".  I can have a dead spot in the middle of my kitchen but I'm within 10 feet of the router and within 25 feet of the satellite located on the floor above me.

2 - Sonos speakers don't easily connect anymore.  These have been rock solid devices with every network I've had for the past 14 years, but now it's a crap-shoot if speakers connect.

3 - Bryant Connex thermostats won't connect to any network -- the main SSID, the IOT, or the guest network.  I've limited to 2.4GHz as well as turned off AX functions.  Other suggestions for connecting in this forum have talked adjusting settings that no longer seem to be available in the web-based control panel for the 960.

All of my Orbis are at least 30 feet from each other, and I'm at a loss about how to even begin to debug this.

Help?

Message 1 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi 960 -- disconnects, etc

Truly a bitter lesson. (Always keep the old network system until totally satisfied with the replacement.)

What does Netgear support say about this situation?  (I totally envy people who purchase new systems and can take advantage of the 90 days of 'complimentary support'.)

Is this system being administered with the Orbi web interface or with the Orbi 'app'?

Does the new system have exactly the same WiFi credentials as the previous network?  I would have expected every WiFi device in the house to reconnect immediately.

Message 2 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Can you draw up a floor layout of the home and indicate where the RBR and RBS are placed? 

Building materials of this home?

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

How are the Sonos speakers connected? wired with the base unit or all wireless? Sono has there own broadcast signal I believe. 

Are you using the separate 6Ghz wifi network or is that disabled? 

Message 3 of 24
tylerwhite
Aspirant

1 - Contacting NG support soon.

2 - All same specs/SSID/pwd as previous network.  

3 - Administered by both web interface and iOS app.  iOS app has become very unstable:  clicking on a satellite to see what's connected to it often times out.

Message 4 of 24
tylerwhite
Aspirant

Firmware is the latest.  Not sure on actual version number but I did a "check for updates" or whatever it's called.

I'm using an Arris Surfboard connected with a high quality CAT6 cable, but I don't see why this is relevant:  my problems are with devices connecting or staying connected to Orbi.  Once connected I'm fine.

House is 3400 sq ft over two stories.  Router is in dead center of first story.  Two satellites are in opposite second floor corners in back of house.  Third satellite is in shed outside.  House is stucco/wood.

Wired devices don't disconnect.  As stated earlier, roaming around the house causes wireless devices to drop and not immediately resume a connection.

Sonos has a Sonos Boost hard wired, plus one of the speakers is also hard wired.

The separate 6GHz network has been disabled.

Channels are "auto" for 2.4 GHz, 40 for 5 GHz, and 69 for 6 GHz.

Private WiFi Address and Limit IP Address tracking have been disabled on my iPhone. 

Message 5 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a actual version # please. 

There a model # of the ISP modem. Just checking for router and wifi at the ISP modem, some come with it. 

Message 6 of 24
tylerwhite
Aspirant

Firmware version is V6.3.7.10_3.3.3.

Modem is Arris Surfboard SB8200.  Again, not sure why this is relevant.

Message 7 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

FW is behind and something you should update the system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBRE960-RBSE960-Firmware-Versio...

RBS First, then RBR lastly. Manually apply if you don't see it available in the RBR web page.

Again, thanks for modem info and checking for no wifi interferences here. 

Message 8 of 24
tylerwhite
Aspirant

When I go into the web interface and tell it to check for firmware updates it says none are available.
Message 9 of 24
tylerwhite
Aspirant

I'm curious...why isn't the admin portal showing this as a needed firmware upgrade?

Message 10 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

It's considered a minor update, nothing major. Also was some issues with supporting of it in different regions that were said to not be able to use it. So NG gave notice that only certain regions supported it. Later on NG fixed the other regional issues so all call use. Again, up to users to manually install if they want to or not. 

Message 11 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

@tylerwhite wrote:

I'm curious...why isn't the admin portal showing this as a needed firmware upgrade?

This is a common frustration for Netgear Orbi customers, as it seems to fly in the face of common sense. i.e., the customer clicks on a menu titled Firmware Update and the router reports "No new firmware available" when this is clearly not the case.  And, it is especially frustrating when the customer has come to the forum seeking advice about a problem and is told, "First update the firmware", which they already considered and believed no newer firmware is available.  (One of the most common practices in computer support is to talk only in terms of the current firmware.)

Netgear got in a world of hurt a year ago by pushing a firmware update to thousands of customers which essentially "locked them out" of being able to manage their systems.  Since then, Netgear has been almost gun shy about releasing new firmware.

My impression is that @FURRYe38 is correct.  This firmware update is not considered a dire critical necessity.  Plus, it would require changing internal practices and rewriting code in all those products to make a new category.

• There is no new firmware.
  • There is new firmware.
  • (new) There is new firmware, but it is optional if the user wants to install it.

Message 12 of 24
owlyn
Apprentice

Netgear releases new firmware on the web site first for those of us techies who want to install it manually. Then, a few months later, they make it available through the router interface. Then, eventually, they push it automatically. In any event, support will first require you to install the latest firmware, so follow the instructions given in another message here, and install it. It may even fix the problem.
Message 13 of 24
tylerwhite
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.

Everything is on the latest firmware now.  I don't see much difference as I wander around my house, to be perfectly honest.  

After doing a roaming test, I tried removing one of the satellites in case there was a signal conflict (trying to rule out satellites being too close).  All that's done is reduce my WiFi coverage and parts of my property no longer get WiFi.

I'm amazed that upgrading from an older Orbi system has provided me with a much worse experience, especially when I kept all of the same setup specs and router/satellite placement.  Less devices connect and those that do have a sub-par experience.

Message 14 of 24
tylerwhite
Aspirant

One more bit of information I forgot to include in the beginning -- two of the three satellites are hard-wired to the router, in case that makes a difference.

Message 15 of 24
tylerwhite
Aspirant

Update:  connectivity is now worse.  Additionally, I now have a new Orbi network showing up on my iPhone and any other device that attempts to connect:  "NETGEAR_ORBI_hidden99".  This is after I upgraded the firmware.  Doesn't seem that hidden to me.

Seriously...WTF?

Message 16 of 24
donawalt
Virtuoso

Wow a router and three 960 RBSs in a 3400 sq foot house? That's way overkill. I am pretty sure the 960s have much better wifi signal range than the 50s do, that's why it's an issue now but was not with the 50s. The 960 shows surely faster WiFi speeds at a given distance, reported by many, which implies a greater range.

I have a 4800 square foot house with a basement and 3 floors - an old home originally with lots of concrete between floors. I have a 960 router and TWO 960s. I have no problem moving around the house with devices, including ones that hop between 6GHz and 5GHz based on location. The 960s are solid.

I would highly recommend doing some experimentation - (1) some people try to reduce transmit power to 50%, you might try that (2) temporarily power off one or two RBSs and see if things get better. It may not be ideal coverage, but then if the problems you have now go away then it might be worth doing some signal inspection to place satellites optimally. 

If you want check out my writeup on how to determine optimal Orbi placement based on signal strength - it might help you!

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Using-signal-strength-detection-to-...

Message 17 of 24
tylerwhite
Aspirant

Oh, I have one in the garage outside to cover the back yard, etc.  Ultimately they are covering about 5500 sq ft.

I'll check out your link...thanks.

Message 18 of 24
tylerwhite
Aspirant

For what it's worth...I replaced this with an ASUS XT9 mesh system and everything connected (even Bryant thermostats, which are documented as not connecting to newer Orbi systems) and I don't have dropouts.  

Message 19 of 24
donawalt
Virtuoso

Glad you got something working. As a point to ponder, that ASUS has about 60% of the Wifi coverage of the 960. So if my theory was correct there was an over saturation of wifi signals with too many devices, a less powerful mesh system would accomplish the same as reducing transmit power on the Orbi.

Message 20 of 24
tylerwhite
Aspirant

Interesting.  I tried removing some satellites as well as reducing transmit power, and it made minimal (if any) difference.  There is also the issue of some devices not being able to connect to the Orbi on any of the frequencies -- 5 or 2.4.  

Not sure if I have bad units or what.  In the end the new Orbi just didn't work well for me, which is a shame because my old RBS50 was pretty good for years.

Message 21 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you ever get the FW updated on the system? 

RBS first, RBR lastly?

Message 22 of 24
tylerwhite
Aspirant

Yes and yes.

Message 23 of 24
donawalt
Virtuoso

@tylerwhite re: "I tried removing some satellites as well as reducing transmit power, and it made minimal (if any) difference. " - 

It may not have just been a question of removing satellites or reducing transmit power. Doing some review of the actual signal strength in areas where there were problems may have uncovered an issue.

That's why I offered my writeup in message 17 on how to objectively determine the optimal placement of satellites, to ensure proper WiFi coverage without saturating any areas. There's just no way to know because houses, their designs, their construction can be so different, without actually looking at signal strength imho.

Anyway - it's probably all water under the bridge now though! Good luck.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7