Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 960 series quad-band wifi 6 mesh system Network

Fourcand
Follower

Orbi 960 series quad-band wifi 6 mesh system Network

Are there tools available to quickly find out the network speed of each one of my five satellites? If possible, I'd like to know the specific speed of each satellite within the mesh network system.
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 960 series quad-band wifi 6 mesh system Network

No. 

The RBR only shows a status of GOOD or POOR. Good being the optimal status. 

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi 960 series quad-band wifi 6 mesh system Network

@Fourcand wrote:
Are there tools available to quickly find out the network speed of each one of my five satellites?

Tools: Sort of.

Quickly: No.

The original Orbi product allowed customers to connect to the router with telnet and "do things", including run a command that displayed the transmit/receive rates of each satellite.  (Strange, but the speeds are not always the same in both directions.)  Alas, that feature has been removed from the original Orbi and was never supported on any of the AX products.

What a person could do is this:

• Attach a computer to one of the router Ethernet ports.
  • Install iPerf3 as a server on the computer connected to the router. (https://iperf.fr Free for Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, Apple, etc.)
  • Install iPerf3 on a mobile device with an Ethernet port (such as a laptop or tablet with a USB adapter)
  • One at a time, connect the mobile device to an Ethernet port on each satellite and do a speed test against the iPerf3 server (you need to know the IP address of the server device).
  • When this experiment is conducted with two computers connected directly to the same Orbi unit (router or satellite) it will typically max out at slightly less than the speed of the Ethernet connection.  i.e. with gigabit Ethernet, it is common to see a speed of 800-900Mbit/sec.  Obviously, the speed of the two computers and the gigabit Ethernet links are "upper bounds".
  • So, if a test from satellite to router returns approximately the same results as a when both devices are connected to the same Orbi, then the link between router and satellite must be that speed or greater.
  • If the test results are slower over the router-satellite link, then the link speed must be lower.

iPerf3 on a local server is not affected by the Internet Service Provider (ISP) link.  People who have gigabit (or greater) ISP connections could perform experiments against public iPerf3 servers.

Another test could be to run one of the various internet speed tests on a device (rather than on the router itself) and compare the results when connected to the router versus when connected to each satellite.  If the ISP connection is high enough, then a slower result from a satellite could be related to slower speed to that satellite.  (My ISP speed is so slow that I get the same results no matter which device I connect to.)

The 960 product features a 2.5G Ethernet port on the router and each satellite.  Thus, a person could equip computers/laptops with a 2.5G Ethernet adapter and run iPerf3, expecting even higher speed.

With five satellites, the 5G WiFi link between router and satellites may be pretty busy, as WiFi allows only one device to broadcast at a time.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7