Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 960, single router only?

gumpgump
Guide

Orbi 960, single router only?

Why does Netgear force you to purchase a minimum of two units (router and satellite)?  Not all applications require that.    Is there some "technical" reason this is necessary that I've not discovered? 

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi 960, single router only?

My guess is no one at Netgear expected to have enough customers wanting to purchase a "mesh" system without any satellites to create and stock such a product.

Netgear offers numerous WiFi routers.  The distinguishing characteristic of the Orbi product line is the "mesh" capability, where one router and one or more satellites are connected to create a larger seamless WiFi coverage than a single WiFi router can.  There are strict limits on the strength of WiFi radio signals and the only way to extend coverage is to install more WiFi access points.

A single RBRE960 router with zero satellites has no advantage over a single WiFi6E router.

A single RAXE500 is the functional equivalent of a single RBRE960.

The only significant differences (that I see) are:

• The RAXE500 has two functioning USB ports which can be used to connect printers or USB hard drives, while the RBRE960 has no USB ports.
  • The RBRE960 features Netgear's Parental Controls, which is not mentioned in the RAX500E Product Data Sheet:
    A single RAXE500 is the functional equivalent of a single RBRE960. 
    If controlling your parents is important, then the RAXE500 is not the right product.

Message 2 of 4
gumpgump
Guide

I understand your point, well taken.  But it's not really another product -- it's just the router.  And we can expand into a mesh later when we need to.  I think that's reasonable.

As for the signal limitations, I remember (way back) where you could hack the Linksys 802.11g signal beyond legal limits - I had amazing coverage 🙂

Thanks for responding.

Updating my reply.  I went to Amazon to do some price comparison shopping and here I found:

NETGEAR Orbi Quad-Band WiFi 6E Router (RBRE960) 

searching on Netgear's site, I found:

RBRE960 

So I interpret this tactic as they would prefer you buy more, but have less available, if you're willing to dig and look for it.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@gumpgump wrote:

But it's not really another product -- it's just the router. 

Sorry, I meant another product in the sense of:

• Different packaging
  • Different part number
  • Managing inventory (how many to stock, when to reorder, etc. etc.)
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7