Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 960 speed via Ethernet 2.5 port

Beantowm111
Apprentice

Orbi 960 speed via Ethernet 2.5 port

I just installed the Orbi 960 with 1 satellite. I am coming from an Orbi 850 (high router failed forcing an upgrade). I have xfinity’s fastest service which shows download speed in Orbi app of 1400 Mbps. I never saw this in practice with my 850 with devices connected to its Ethernet ports maxing out at 930. I thought I might see better connected download speeds using the 960’s 2.5 port but still not going over 930 Mbps. I am sure there is a reason - can anyone explain? I am thinking of returning and just getting a cheaper 860 router if there really is no difference.
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What device do you have connected to the 2.5Gb LAN port? Ensure this device supports 2.5Gb connection rates. 

Message 2 of 8

The WAN connection on the 960 is rated 10GBe and is really where you should be connecting your incoming WAN connection to it, rather than the 2.5GBe ports (which are ideally suited for wired backhaul).

Message 3 of 8
Beantowm111
Apprentice

Thank you - tried various connections including using as a wired backhaul but unable to get more than 940 Mbps. I suspect I must be missing something.

I am torn whether to keep the 960 and save money and revert to 860 and wait for Wi-Fi 7.
Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Beantowm111 wrote:
devices connected to its Ethernet ports maxing out at 930.

When devices are connected to a gigabit Ethernet port, such as those on the 860 product, about 930Mbps is the maximum possible speed.  (There is some overhead, even in wired Ethernet, making a full 1000Mbps impossible.)

@FURRYe38 asked the most important question: What is connected to that 2.5G port on the 960?  If it is a device with a gigabit Ethernet port, then 930 is the maximum possible speed.  When some people purchase the 960 product, they also purchase a new Ethernet adapter for their computer. (Search for "2.5GB Ethernet Card" on Amazon.  There are many under $30US.  There are even USB adapters compatible with 2.5GB Ethernet.)

Message 5 of 8
Beantowm111
Apprentice

Thank you - that must be my issue.
Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

So can you tell us what you have connected to that port? 

Message 7 of 8
Beantowm111
Apprentice

I was connecting my laptop and then my house Ethernet alternatively thinking (mistakenly) I would see 1.2 based on my xfinity speed coming into router (as measured by or Orbi app). Now I know I need new hardware on the other end as well to see any benefit in 2.5.

Makes me think probably stick with cheaper 860 and wait for Wi-Fi 7.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7