Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX 4200 External VPN connection gets disconnected

OrbiRBR50_AG
Aspirant

Orbi AX 4200 External VPN connection gets disconnected

Just got a new Orbi AX4200 Mesh wifi system. I get good speeds with my Orbi AX4200 (RBR750) but my office VPN (external VPN) keeps on dropping. The issue seems to be fixed after rebooting and it reoccurs after a day.

Is there any specific setting needs to be used to work with external VPNs to avoid VPN drop ?  Can you please suggest a fix for this ?

Thanks in Advance.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
OrbiRBR50_AG
Aspirant

Re: Orbi AX 4200 External VPN connection gets disconnected

Thank you for the follow up. I tried to update on Orbi App but it said firmware is up to date.

Also, I didnt see the issue in 24 hrs after the last reboot. So, for now we can close this issue.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
svetaketu
Luminary

Hi @OrbiRBR50_AG,

• What firmware version is your RBR750 running?
  • Is it a wired or wireless connection?
  • Do you know if the disconnection happens only when your pc is connected to the router (RBR750) or to the satellite (RBS750)?
  • Do you have Armor or SPC enabled? If so, can you try to disable them from the Orbi App.
  • What VPN are you using?
  • Normally when VPN loses its connection, it would try to reconnect. Is there such a setting on your VPN client?
    • You may also want to check with your corp IT to provide you with the recommended router settings that works with the VPN client.
    • Its a possibility that your corp IT has forced your VPN client to disconnect after some time and you'll have to reconnect as part of security perhaps?

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 7
OrbiRBR50_AG
Aspirant

Thank you so much for helping out. Please find my answers in red below.

• What firmware version is your RBR750 running? v3.2.18.1 (Latest update)
  • Is it a wired or wireless connection? Its wireless connection
  • Do you know if the disconnection happens only when your pc is connected to the router (RBR750) or to the satellite (RBS750)?
    • It happened with both if I am not wrong
  • Do you have Armor or SPC enabled? If so, can you try to disable them from the Orbi App. 
    • Yes, Armor is disabled
  • What VPN are you using? Big-IP Edge Client VPN
  • Normally when VPN loses its connection, it would try to reconnect. Is there such a setting on your VPN client?
    • You may also want to check with your corp IT to provide you with the recommended router settings that works with the VPN client.
    • Its a possibility that your corp IT has forced your VPN client to disconnect after some time and you'll have to reconnect as part of security perhaps? 
      • The Idle timeout is set to 12hrs , I used to have an old Netgear router and with same VPN and never had this issue. This started only with my new router.

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 7
svetaketu
Luminary

Hi @OrbiRBR50_AG,

Thanks for the additional info.

I saw this article that might help: https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K31392274  

There is a new RBR750 FW as well that you might want to try: https://kb.netgear.com/000063818/RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7?language=en_US 

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 7
OrbiRBR50_AG
Aspirant

Thank you for the follow up. I tried to update on Orbi App but it said firmware is up to date.

Also, I didnt see the issue in 24 hrs after the last reboot. So, for now we can close this issue.

Message 5 of 7
svetaketu
Luminary

Hope the issue is now resolved. Thanks.
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7