Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX4200 - MAC Filtering in AP Mode - unsupported 2020?

syphon
Aspirant

Orbi AX4200 - MAC Filtering in AP Mode - unsupported 2020?

So did a few google searches to answer the question:

Q: Does the orbi AX4200 allow MAC filtering in AP Mode?

A: No it does not when in AP mode.  It has to be done at the router.

Is this still the answer for 2020?

If so the issues:

- AP is the point of access to the network.  To have layers of security as an option is very feasible request.

- Other APs from $30 to $300 most  have MAC filtering.

Any insight would be appreciated since I went through all the settings and didn't seem to be able to locate this setting.

also the model search didn't have ax4200 listed in the options.

Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi AX4200 - MAC Filtering in AP Mode - unsupported 2020?

@syphon wrote:

So did a few google searches to answer the question:

Q: Does the orbi AX4200 allow MAC filtering in AP Mode?

A: No it does not when in AP mode.  It has to be done at the router.

Is this still the answer for 2020?

I believe so.  For the original WiFi5 Orbi, here is a list of features that are not supported in AP mode:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Disabled-Features-on-the-Orbi-when-set-to-AP-Mode 

If so the issues:

- AP is the point of access to the network.  To have layers of security as an option is very feasible request.

- Other APs from $30 to $300 most  have MAC filtering.

Any insight would be appreciated since I went through all the settings and didn't seem to be able to locate this setting.

also the model search didn't have ax4200 listed in the options.

AX4200 is not an Orbi model number.  It is an advertising blurb which combines the maximum theoretical connection rate of all three radio channels (user 2.4G, user 5G, backhaul 5G)  There is a community forum specifically for the Orbi WiFi6 systems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

Whoever maintains the forums has kept up with the newer products in the drop down menu. (sigh)

Message 2 of 11
syphon
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. Well it has an rbr750 and two rbs750 in the box.  But the other question i'm tryinig to figure out if there is no MAC filtering in AP Mode for these systems?

thanks

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@syphon wrote:

Thanks for the response. Well it has an rbr750 and two rbs750 in the box.  But the other question i'm tryinig to figure out if there is no MAC filtering in AP Mode for these systems?

Only someone who owns one of these and participates in the AX forum can speakk from experience.

My guess, however, is that the majority of Orbi features are similar in both product lines.  Going into AP mode turns off a TON of features.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Most of the time when in AP mode, any Mac Filtering is handle by the host router, not the AP system. 

Please visit the Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 5 of 11
syphon
Aspirant

Well my experience has been otherwise. Plus the only reason I have it in AP mode is because it creates its own subnet not utilizing preexisting IP range of 192.168.1.xxx but the 10.0.0.1. This results in problems with auto discovery of assets on the 192 subnet. The previous Links and apple airport was able to do all of the above in AP mode. So i was a little concerned about the limitation of this orbi.
Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@syphon wrote:
Well my experience has been otherwise. Plus the only reason I have it in AP mode is because it creates its own subnet not utilizing preexisting IP range of 192.168.1.xxx but the 10.0.0.1. This results in problems with auto discovery of assets on the 192 subnet. The previous Links and apple airport was able to do all of the above in AP mode. So i was a little concerned about the limitation of this orbi.

This is absolutely correct. For a home network to "work", all devices should be on the same subnet.  The most common solution is to connect the Orbi router to the ISP device and then connect everything else to the Orbi router. i.e. the only device connected to the ISP is the Orbi.  When there are other devices connected diretly to the ISP router, then putting the Orbi in AP mode is the correct solution.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Reason for the two different netorks is that you can't have two routers on the same line using same IP address subnet, so either move everything to the Orbi router or use the Orbi in AP mode.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

Message 8 of 11
syphon
Aspirant

Thank you for rhe response and information.

My experience is you can have two routers on the same network utizling the same subnet.  This occurs at the enterprise level (clearly this isn't that) and at the home network level. My previous last two AP version were the exact same configuration the following:

• 2 routers
    • 1 ISP router
    • 1 AP router ( last 2 AP routers)
      • used the ISP router subnet to assign same subnet IPs to the AP and all wireless devices attached.  The AP had MAC filtering at the AP, WAP and a much siignificantly less price point. Showing that it iisn't a high end capability.
  • Seems like this orbi doesn't have that capability which is a bit suprising and disappointing.
  • Also, I have more wired deviices than orbi has ports and yes I could get a switch.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, seems that Orbi doesn't support the features you need. 

Yes, a switch is easily installed for addtional ports. Most home class routers only come with 4 ports. 

Message 10 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@syphon wrote:

My experience is you can have two routers on the same network utizling the same subnet.  This occurs at the enterprise level (clearly this isn't that) and at the home network level.

Sure you can have e.g. two IP addresses on the same IP subnet dealing with e.g. as a default gateway. This requires a host (or for the sake another router) having the ability to configure two default gateways, typically with different metrics, to have e.g. redundant Internet connection. This does mean each of the routers does have the same subnet on one interface, and - because it's a router - a different subnet on the other interface. SunOS for example had what looks like an oddity today with two IP addresses configurable as a default gateway.

@syphon wrote:

My previous last two AP version were the exact same configuration the following:

• 2 routers
    • 1 ISP router
    • 1 AP router ( last 2 AP routers)
      • used the ISP router subnet to assign same subnet IPs to the AP and all wireless devices attached.

If the ISP router was able to assign IP addresses to wireless devices associated to that other router LAN addresses, both LANs ust be connected. If the beast you designate AP router is a consumer-style NAT router, and it's WAN port was connected to the ISP LAN, DHCP could not work over the NAT router - something badly wrong if the router would allow this. Your ISP LAN connected LAN devices do _never_ get an IP config assigned from the ISP, too. And finally, because it's a router, it's not possible to have the same or an overlapping subnet on both interfaces on a router either. Tastes to me like this (or these) "AP routers" were configured were operating as AP, e.g. with bridge mode if the WAN port was in the same subnet (and basic éAN services like DHCP were disabled - something most consumer routers don't allow - but not as a router.

@syphon wrote:

My previous last two AP version were the exact same configuration the following:

• The AP had MAC filtering at the AP, WAP and a much siignificantly less price point. Showing that it iisn't a high end capability.

Common APs have a MAC filter, sometimes a back list, sometimes a white list, less common both. The white list is the ability to restrict the wireless association of wireless devices to listed MAC addresses only. 

Maintenance of MAC white lists is tedious, especially when having multiple or many APs. The added security is marginal, as one can always borrow a "working" MAC address over air. Together with todays oh so popular random MAC address features of wireless clients (gee, greetings from the tin hat community) on iOS, iPadOS, Android for several years, and Windows 10 ... does virtually deny using white lists.

Ref, the absent feature in AP mode I can only repeat: Consumer routers rarely make good APs.

@syphon wrote:
  • Seems like this orbi doesn't have that capability which is a bit suprising and disappointing.
  • Also, I have more wired deviices than orbi has ports and yes I could get a switch.

Of course, understand.

Oddly, Netgear had and has two definitions for the Access Control: On some routers, it's the ability to associate to the WiFi. On other routers,  it's the ability to access the Internet - while the wireless association and the LAN access is always granted. I've asked another consumer router makers why they have changed the originally complete implementation, and not covering both WiFi and LAN. Answer was: Because of Netgear does to the same way. Sigh... 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7