Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX6000 (RBR850) Spontaneous Rebooting

mickelsn
Aspirant

Orbi AX6000 (RBR850) Spontaneous Rebooting

I recently purchased an Orbi Tri-Band AX6000 (RBK852) system which contains the RBR850 router and RBS850 satellite. The system is running in Access Point (AP) mode behind a FiOS Gateway as the only WiFi network in my home.

I'm having problems with periodic WiFi network instability — the network disappears from all clients for about 1-2 minutes. A little bit of Googling led me to the debug page, where I discovered that my system actually REBOOTED itself at the point of the last outage — system uptime is only about an hour or so as I write this, which corresponds directly to when all network clients lost connectivity. There have been no power issues or other problems in the home that would cause these reboots.

I've started Debug log capture via the debug page and will do a full manual reboot of the entire system later today to see if that either fixes the issue (which I doubt, because this has happened multiple times since I last rebooted the system myself) or at least I can get whatever debug data I can. Info on firmware version and whatnot is below from the Debug page:

Basic Information

Firmware Version: V3.2.10.11_1.2.12

CPU Load: 12.46%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 421 MB/867 MB

System Uptime: 0 days 01:07:34

Any ideas on how to fix, or should I just return this and get a different system? Kind of hard to keep my kids distance learning online when the WiFi system I bought precisely so our network had enough bandwidth for everyone constantly reboots!

Thanks...

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX6000 (RBR850) Spontaneous Rebooting

Please post about this over in the Orbi AX Forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2346 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 3 of 7
mickelsn
Aspirant

I've absolutely had it with this system - it's rebooted twice in the space of an hour this morning as we put it under load with WiFi traffic from clients. The satellite is showing strong connection (blue light a little bit after reboot) until things go to crap (magenta solid light) and all client connections die until the router reboots. The fact that you can't get to any meaningful status information for a reasonably-informed user in the Web GUI hampers troubleshooting.

I've already got my RMA from NewEgg, and I will be finding another WiFi 6 router from a Netgear competitor; the meantime, I'm back to the Apple AirPort Extreme I've had running with absolutely no problems for the last few years. This product isn't up to my expectation of quality from Netgear.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

IT would have been nice to know if you gave any of the suggestions a try.

Possible faulty system as well.

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 7
mickelsn
Aspirant

Units were within 30-40 feet, and I was already on my 2nd factory reset of the system after initial setup. Things were reasonably stable with low traffic on WiFi, but when we started to stress it (2 laptops, 1 desktop, 2 iPads, 5 iPhones, plus miscellaneous smart home clients) with simultaneous video feeds it craps out.

I'm looking for something that WORKS out of the box - not something that I constantly have to tune channels and MTU values, etc., at the risk of them getting wiped out every firmware upgrade. I'm fine with only getting 80-90% of the theoretically max performance without that kind of tuning -- but spontaneous reboots on a $700 two-node WiFi mesh system? That's when things have to go. System is boxed and ready to ship back.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck then. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements