Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi CBR750 Wi-Fi Speeds

kskistad
Tutor

Orbi CBR750 Wi-Fi Speeds

I get my internet from Spectrum and signed up for 1 Gbps download/40 Mbps upload speed plan.  In the Orbi app the speed test confirms I am indeed getting 1Gbps download speed.  I've confirmed in the settings that the AX is enabled for wi-fi, the router firmware is up to date, the Orbi app is the latest, my PC has a Wi-Fi 6e compatible network adapter with the latest drivers installed, and my signal strength is strong, However speed tests over wi-fi are averaging 200 Mbps.  I've read that it is impossible to reach the max theoretical speed of Wi-Fi 6, which is around 9.6Gbps, but 200 Mbps is only 2% of the max theoretical speed so I am losing 98% of my bandwidth when I use wi-fi as compared to a wired connection which doesn't seem plausible. 

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

It is important to be precise when describing the problem.

WiFi6 (802.11ax) runs in the 2.4 and 5GHz frequency bands and is compatible with the Orbi CBR750.

• The maximum speed with a 2x2MIMO connection is about 40Mbps at 2.4G
  • The maximum speed with a 2x2MIMO connection is about 1GB at 5G
    (MIMO refers to the number of antennas. The Orbi has 2, which means 2x2 is the most possible.  Most consumer devices also have 2 antennas.)

WiFi6E is backward compatible with WiFi6 and also supports the 6GHz frequency band, which the Orbi CBR750 does not.

Thus the maximum speed of a WiFi6E connection is not relevant to the discussion.

Users have reported issues with the  newest WiFi adapters.  Internet search may turn up clues.

I agree that a PC should achieve more than 200Mbps with a strong 5G signal.

• What does the PC say about the connection in terms of 2.4G vs. 5G and "Link Speed"?
  • Does the Orbi Attached Devices show the PC connected at 5G?
  • Is there a setting in the PC device adapter control panel to restrict the adapter to 5G?

Message 2 of 3
kskistad
Tutor

I purchased a USB Wifi 6e adapter from Netgear and only being one room away from my router I was able to get 860Mbps download speeds wirelessly.  My built in wireless adapter on my motherboard probably wasn't the best or at least couldn't be repositioned like the USB adapter could.  860Mbps was the best speed but I am averaging about 600Mbps which is still acceptable for wireless.  Just out of curiosity I took one of my Orbi satellites and put it right near the adapter but didn't make any difference- I assume the wireless connection between the router and satellite is also limited in the same way wireless adapters are limited.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7