Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Quad-Band (RBKE963) setup for gaming latency?

Tajee
Aspirant

Orbi Quad-Band (RBKE963) setup for gaming latency?

I’ve read over the forums and have narrowed down my potential setup to the RBKE963. I am using a NightHawk RAX200 at the moment and the location isn’t in the best spot in my home (finished basement in the corner) for signal strength to up stairs on the 1st floor. Even on the other side of the basement area it struggles to send a speedy connection. My original thought was to get an extender (EAX80) for it and put it on the first floor. The research I’ve done seems it may not be that effective because it’s going to be wireless to the extender.
One of my concerns is with latency and signal loss (which at times drops the online game I’m playing) Is there any issues that people have dealt with using a mesh system. I thought placing the PS5 and iPhone 13 Pro on 6GHz channel would give me better reliability. Then I have read that those 2 won’t receive any benefit from the 6Ghz channel. Also my Fios connection is only 100/100 at the moment but we will be upgrading shortly. Thanks
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Quad-Band (RBKE963) setup for gaming latency?

You are correct that neither the PS5 nor the iPhone 13 Pro is capable of 6G WiFi (also known as WiFi 6E).

https://www.apple.com/iphone-13-pro/specs/ 

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=ps5+wifi+specs&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 

You are also correct that a WiFi router buried in a corner of the basement is not optimal.

Netgear Orbi products are designed for the high end residential market.

They are not marketed as gaming routers, which emphasize latency and QoS capabilities to prioritize gaming devices and protocols.

I propose that the most obvious solution is to move that RAX200 out of the basement by placing an ethernet cable from the basement to the first floor.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7