Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK352 / 353 WiFi AC performance are very bad, SOLUTIONS?

Federico2003
Guide

Orbi RBK352 / 353 WiFi AC performance are very bad, SOLUTIONS?

Hello community, I recently purchased the AX Mesh Orbi RBK352 WiFi system (RBR350 and RBS350). So, as some may already know, the RBK352 and 353 kits have recently come out, to the point that, currently, firmware versions other than the initial one have NOT yet been released. I have a 200/20 line in FTTC technology. I have configured the RBR350 router in Router mode. My ISP allows me to have multiple PPPoE connections on the same line for free. The modem router that I have allows the devices connected to it to establish their own PPPoE connections. So I connected the Router 350 via ethernet and entered the access data provided by my ISP. The connection has been established. So I did a speedtest via ethernet cable. Speeds reach over 180 Mbps in download and 20 in upload (regular, as usual). However, I noticed a problem with the 5 GHz AC WiFi network. I have two WiFi 6 AX devices at home. I state that with them, the speedtests are regular, if I put myself in front of the router I have download values ​​higher than 180 Mbps. However, if, in front of the router and in 5 GHz frequency, I perform a speedtest with the other devices equipped with the WiFi 5 AC standard, I will not reach speeds higher than 150 Mbps. I have tried with several 5 AC WiFi devices in 5 GHz, but with all of them, the WiFi speed never exceeds 150 Mbps. Before having this RBR350 I had a RBR20 (equipped with WiFi 5 AC standard only). with it, all AC or AX devices ran at 180Mbps in 5GHz WiFi. On the advice of the support, I had the RBK352 kit replaced with another identical one, to rule out a hardware defect. However, I noticed that the problem also occurs with the new 352 kit. This does not seem normal to me, the fact of being a WiFi 6 system should not mean that the WiFi 5 AC standard is weakened and limited to 150 Mbps. The tests were carried out in front of the router in 5 GHz frequency, and without other wireless networks on the same channel. I tried to disable the router's AX features from the settings, but still the AC performance didn't improve, so I re-enabled them.

Message 1 of 5
Federico2003
Guide

Re: Orbi RBK352 / 353 WiFi AC performance are very bad, SOLUTIONS?

To do more thorough checks, I put two Samsung Galaxy A70 devices (WiFi 5 AC) in front of the router in 5 GHz, and ran an iPerf test. This test measures speed on the network, without an external internet server. One of the two A70 acted as a server, while the other acted as a client. The result was above 250 Mbps. Given this, it is quickly clear that the problem is not the actual performance / hardware of the router. There appears to be a “bandwidth retention” problem in the WiFi 5 AC network. If you perform a speedtest with any test with an external internet server, such as Ookla, the speed is limited to “only” 150 Mbps. Strange, similar problems are not from Orbi. I also noticed another unpleasant thing. In the Advanced section, Advanced Setup Wireless Settings, I am sorry to note that, for some reason, it is NOT possible for me to change the WiFi channels for the 5 GHz frequency. The option that should allow the choice of the channel is faded, and it is not possible for me to click on it and choose a channel manually or set the automatic choice. The router is stuck on DFS channel 108, and won't move from there. Different for the 2.4 GHz, where you can freely select the channel, or set the automatic mode (as it should be). How is it possible? Even on cheap routers it is possible to change the wireless channels for both frequencies. On the previous RBR20s this was possible for both frequencies. Finally, I would like to add that often the RBR350 router “loses” the connection with the RBS350 satellite. From the router interface, by going to the connected devices section, you can also see the satellite. In the section indicating the status, it says "configuration synchronization in progress". It should come out "good". From the Orbi app, the devices are actually connected to the router and the satellite is OFFLINE. But if I go to check, the satellite is working. The devices move correctly from the router to the satellite and vice versa. So in reality the mesh and the satellite work correctly but their status in the app or in the router interface is offline. I have a LAN, so the satellite is connected to the RBR350 router via CAT6 ethernet cable ... It is not possible for it to lose the connection (and in fact it does not actually lose it, I think it is a bug in the interface that shows the satellite as offline even if it works fully). I tried to configure the satellite wirelessly. Same result. Satellite shown offline but functional.

Message 2 of 5
Federico2003
Guide

At this point I obviously reconnected the satellite via LAN. How is this possible? Anyone have this same product and are experiencing a speed in WiFi 5 AC limited to 150 Mbps or other issues listed? I expect it to be a firmware issue, as even replacing the product the issues are identical. I have already exposed the case to Netgear, and they are considering whether to scale it to a specialized department.

Bye!

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 4 of 5
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Federico2003

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Please send me a private message with the support case number by clicking on this link.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7